ROM Hack How did you learn coding, programming, hacking, etc...?

Jothri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hello all! This is a little survey thingy. I am curious, for those out there that hack, build computer stuff, code, etc.

I, myself know a little xhtml and actionscript.

How I got into xhtml: My mom has tons of books on web design, so I wanted to try it out.
yay.gif

I also look at
(my fav ) and

ActionScript: I was always drawing and this and that. In 6th grade me and my friends created our on rpg card game type thing. I wanted to learn how to make animations and games, and then my cousin got me flash. I have learned through books from barnes and nobles. I also looked things up on websites. I am using a dummies book now.

I am still in the midst of learning, and I am looking forward to learning more!
lecture.gif

So now for the coders and hackers out there...

Jothri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
elixirdream said:
school forced me to learn some
frown.gif

then out of interest i continue to study a little on my own

i would say .. when there is a need you will do whatever to obtain what you want

I wish are school had coding classes. I am a big procrastinator, even on things I want to do
ohmy.gif
, Im lucky they started a guitar class.
grog.gif

I also really want to put my art into video games. I thought at first getting people to do program for me, then I thought screw it, If I learn it Ill be able to make the game how I want it., if you know what I mean.

Jothri

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mipe said:
I got few C-books to home from library and selflearned.

Sorry for getting technical, but when people read books to self teach, wouldn't you still be being taught by someone, because an author wrote the book.
wink.gif
sorry
tongue.gif
lol.

Anyway, do continue

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Dad teaches me C, taught me (X)HTML and CSS and a tiny bit of JAVASCRIPT.

Umm... Elixirdream SORT OF taught me a little bit of AR code brewing. ShadowEO is teaching my PHP. I get help with rom hacking from Noitora sometimes. Can't remember anything else.

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Learned programming like C++, XHTML, Javascript, J2ME, raknet, opengl and etc during my 3 year course in digital entertainment technology, i would have mind if it wasnt for the fact that it was more like welcome to programming and bye.

As for actionscript, it was necessary for my final year project so had to self-learn that myself.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
I was an old school BBS user before the internet really hit homes in the UK. Learned from various groups who dialled the same BBS as me.

Darn, that ages me!

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I learnt the basics of HTML myself with Myspace
rofl2.gif
then carried on to learn more HTML.
I don't plan on learning C++ because I won't need it.

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
I learnt to "hack" back in year 9 of school (they annoyed me by launching keyloggers and reporters...we had limited power too!) Had to delete 2 processes and 1 hidden process to kill their software. I now repair and build pcs as a job
tongue.gif

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I still can't code
smile.gif

I tried, but i failed everytime
smile.gif

I started with plain basic (like most older ppl), trying to learn it myself from stuff i downloaded from BBS and hardcore magazines
Looked alot to code on the C64/ZX Spectrum and Atari ST, Also stupid GW-Basic that was included in DOS.
Then a friend of me who did a lot of coding with DBase and "Clipper" (Compiler for Dbase) (started with Nantucket Clipper Winter'84)
tought me some stuff in Clipper, after 2 years learning, i moved on to my study/holiday job and didn't try/use it anymore, someone tried to learn me Delphi once, but that was a big fail
smile.gif

I'm not good in math and diagrams, same for learning languages and especially programming languages :/

I'm always jaloues at those who can, but hé, some ppl aren't meant to do such thing and some do
smile.gif

Tomdev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I learnt C when I got my DS lite(homebrew development), it wasn't that smart to begin with C, but after a year I knew the basics. Now, I'm learning some xhtml and javascript on my school.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
languages code (basic/c/javascript/php/other) : Reading open source codes and messing with it.
rom hacking : internet reading and lot of tries.

reading only doesn't help you to improve, you need to actually try to assimilate what you learned.

SCVgeo

Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I took C++ and Java courses in High School. I also took another two C++ courses and a course where I learned, html, javascript, pearl in College. Then when I needed then I learned C#, C, PHP, python and ARM/thumb on my own by reading books and other's code.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y