Gaming How concerned do I need to be from used games?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recently I saw a video on youtube talking about all the stuff hacks have managed to do. One of the things that got my attention was they mentioned retail game carts being banned from online. I hate to admit this but I do buy used games often mostly cause of the price being less than unused games. I want new games for my system but various reasons like not sure if I want to pay full price if I don't like it, no demo available or other such reasons would be a thing. But now I'm worried that I may have to start paying full price for the games unused or downloading them from eshop.

Now I do intend to support things I feel good about cause I have indeed purchased special editions of games straight on launch day. I bought the $100 Xenoblade Chronicles 2 collectors edition, Gal Gun 2 $100 special edition (even though from shipping i paid additional $30 all the way from United Kingdom) $100 Blazblue Cross Tag battle collectors edition, and such other ones. I'm not saying I'm filthy stinking rich or anything cause I'm not. I just really felt sure about the games and I haven't regret it at all cause I enjoy them. But some games that I just want to try I find a discount for, which usually leads me to buying them used. :)

I had normally plan to download eshop content only for games without retail carts. Mostly cause it conserves storage space on the system. Unlike other systems like ps4 putting the disc in the system installs data from the disc to play the game, Switch does not install data from the carts. I dunno what to think anymore but I just wanted more information about this. I dunno if it's only the games that has online communications modes or any game or something that can just end up causing me problems. So if someone can explain with the easiest way to understand that would be nice. I'm just worried that a used game I buy would just cause me a problem if what the person said is true. :(

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theoretically, any game can have their unique header/certificate dumped to be used by someone else to inject into one of the dumps made by BBB in order to play that game online. Now, Nintendo can easily ban those because they have a system that flags headers that don't match their base game so they know who and what to ban. Nintendo even has the power to ban the certificates themselves rendering games unable to play online even if the console/account are unbanned. So just make sure you ask if the game can play online (if it has online functionality) and verify with visual proof. Read more here: https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHacks/comments/8rxg26/psa_strong_antipiracy_measures_implemented_by/

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah, but you need wifi. Some people I guess could hotspot with their phones but I doubt Gamestop and the like have public wifi.

Fair point but remember you still can give it back you have like 1 day or 2 I think no? And in that case people can dump it and return it xd so no more cheap used games for us

Reactions: Xzi

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you hate to admit it?
There is absolutely nothing morally or ethically wrong with buying used games, and indeed anybody that tries to tell you there is can and should be laughed at very hard.
Is none of those reasons, I am just used to getting negative response (verbally and physically) for being poor. "It's a hard knock life for us." :ninja:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1