Hacking How can I skip the Bootmii menu during booting?

asdf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Take out the SD card with the Bootmii files on it.
blink.gif

zapu

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Or just rename the bootmii executable (whatever it's called, bootmii.elf?) to something else. If you want to use bootmii ever again (to restore your nand or whatever) just rename it back.

Or change the configuration, can't remember how exactly though.

codone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You will notice a "bootmii" directory on the SD card.... Its best just to rename or move this directory to another place (PC or another SD card) if you don't want it to boot into Bootmii. Once the "bootmii" directory is not found on the SD card, it will immediately boot up normally (not into BootMii). At any time, you can copy (or rename) the "bootmii" directory back like it was, and it will then boot into the BootMii menu again.

ridgecity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
thanks guys! I will fix it once I get these guys to stop playing... Have I unleashed a monster??? can the capcom VS game from japan be played now? is it safe playing from the disc channel? I have a backup loader channel that installed after the method found here:

http://blog.staticanime.net/2009/05/26/hacking-the-wii-v20/

I still got to do the hdd things. I felt to freekin scared hacking the thing since a lot of people been bricking their stuff...

¿COMO ESTA PAISANO? muy pocos mexicanos aca!

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Monster? I dunno. TvK? Yes, you can play it. It's gonna come out in the USA pretty soon, though. Backups won't work from the disc channel unless you do the CIOSCORP thing, but there's pretty much no reason to bother with it.

And if you have both BootMii and Preloader you'd have to try pretty hard to brick yourself.

ridgecity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think already did the cioscorp thing because the discs show up there... and I did this for that single game, the day I heard it might come here, I freaked out since manga and anime is all over the place here and the rights are hard to workout. But Capcom knows it's totally worth it and the right owners know it will translate into more sales for their videos and anime things... I was a big G Force (gatchaman) fan when I was a kid so this is awesome for me...

yeah, the only problem is that menu thing since I don't have a gamecube controller, well I found out to day both my controller don't work anymore, not even the wavebird, maybe I'm missing something?

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
look in the BootMii folder for the bootmii.ini and make sure the autoboot setting isn't commented and is set to system menu, like so:
QUOTE said:
# BootMii config file

# Video mode, possible settings:
# NTSC, PAL50, PAL60, PROGRESSIVE
VIDEO=PROGRESSIVE

# Autoboot, possible settings:
# SYSMENU, HBC
AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU
BOOTDELAY=5
Assuming you are using BootMii v0.2, you can also add the BOOTDELAY setting...it controls how quick the timeout on the autobooting of the System Menu is. I don't know why everyone is telling you to install preloader for something as simple as this. >_< Also note that the video setting should be whatever you intend to use...I don't know if straight Progressive works if you're on a PAL system.

melodical

Trophies
XP
Country
9th_Sage, cheers for that input!!

I am also on bootmii v2!

my bootmii.ini says:

# BootMii config file

VIDEO=PAL50

# SYSMENU, HBC
#AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU

# Autoboot delay, in seconds:
# Default is 5
#BOOTDELAY=5

Are you saying all i need is to remove the hash (#) from AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU and it will boot to wii menu after 5 seconds?

i.e. change: #AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU
TO: AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU

and

#BOOTDELAY=5
TO
BOOTDELAY=5

I believe this is what your saying?????? If so your a legend. It's only a small change but a much needed one as im scared of other people getting clicky with the sd card and gears buttons in bootmii!
I figured out how to set preloader 0.29 to do what i want it to but i never thought to mess with the ini file before as i didn't think it was safe to do so! I thought there may have been a gui menu to change this setting but i just could'nt find it.

If this works, it means that I no longer have to rename the name of my bootmi folder name to something other than bootmii and change it back later!

Thanks again!!!
smile.gif

EDIT: I've just found the 'BootMii Configuration Editor' from the WIIbrew website? Should i enter the code manually or use the one from WIIbre??

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
melodical said:
EDIT: I've just found the 'BootMii Configuration Editor' from the WIIbrew website? Should i enter the code manually or use the one from WIIbre??
You can do it yourself or with that app. I've not heard of people having any problems with it. And yeah, that's what BOOTDELAY does. After that many seconds, the System Menu is booted. I set mine to 3. The menu autoboots quick, and there is enough time assuming I'm near my system to get into BootMii's stuff if I want (the countdown is interrupted if you press any of the buttons on a GCN controller or on the Wii's face). Also, if you set to 0, I'm pretty sure it nearly instantly boots the system menu.

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
9th_Sage said:
Also, if you set to 0, I'm pretty sure it nearly instantly boots the system menu.

That's correct, this is how I configure my BootMii.ini file, so it doesn't show BootMii at all and just boots straight to the system menu. It works perfectly.

If I need to do anything with BootMii like a new NAND backup, I just change the BOOTDELAY to 10 or something to give me a bit more time to press a button before it boots to the system menu.
smile.gif

Rikki-tikki-tavi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This method doesn't work for me for some reason. :(
My ini file looks like this:
# BootMii config file

VIDEO=PAL50

# SYSMENU, HBC
AUTOBOOT=SYSMENU

# Autoboot delay, in seconds:
# Default is 5
BOOTDELAY=0
Yet for some reason the menu still shows up. Not a big deal, but still wondering what can be done about it.
I've tried to change SYSMENU to HBC just to find out if the thing even gives a damn about the contents of the ini file. It does. My Wii stopped booting at all.
I also tried BootMii Configuration Editor, but the program just asks me to wait until it initializes something, which it doesn't, and that's it.
Both cases point out that something is not right with my softmod, but since I don't even need the BootMii, the obvious solution is to either leave it be or delete the hole thing. But just out of curiosity and for the sake of perfection - any ideas on how to correct this?

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Rename the folder "bootmii" to "_bootmii" in the root of your SD Card. Problem solved.

bootmii is a must-have for CPU-01 and is the only way to 100% protect your wii, do NOT remove it ! Renaming the folder does NOT alter at all its functions (bootmii is still in boot2), and if one day you have to start bootmii, you'll just have to rename the folder to "bootmii"

ps : if HBC does not start with bootmii, maybe your bootmii is outdated. HBC changed its ID several times, and if bootmii is too old, maybe it doesn't know the latest ID of HBC.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
This method doesn't work for me for some reason. :(
My ini file looks like this:

Yet for some reason the menu still shows up. Not a big deal, but still wondering what can be done about it.
I've tried to change SYSMENU to HBC just to find out if the thing even gives a damn about the contents of the ini file. It does. My Wii stopped booting at all.
I also tried BootMii Configuration Editor, but the program just asks me to wait until it initializes something, which it doesn't, and that's it.
Both cases point out that something is not right with my softmod, but since I don't even need the BootMii, the obvious solution is to either leave it be or delete the hole thing. But just out of curiosity and for the sake of perfection - any ideas on how to correct this?
Try deleting bootmii.ini and launching BCE. If that doesn't create a new one, make a new one yourself and copy-paste the text you quoted into it.

Rikki-tikki-tavi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Will try all that, thanks. I don't understand the difference between removing/returning and renaming/renaming the folder, though.
What's more, I don't even know what does BootMii do. I've softmodded my Wii and all worked well without it being present. Then, when it turned out some games are not launching on my firmware (3.4E) I updated to 4.1 and installed BootMii - just because the manual contained something like "Well, if you are not interested in the details, all you need to know is having BootMii installed is just a more proper way of doing it than not having it". I decided that was good enough for me, so I installed it.

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Bootmii is installed on the Wii NAND, in the boot2 section (for CPU-01 Wii). Everytime your wii starts (cold boot), this module (in the NAND) launches the bootmii elf which is located on the bootmii folder in the root of your SD Card.

- Removing bootmii (boot2) will let your wii vulnerable (brick). A bad channel > instant brick. A bad system menu > instant brick. Removing the System Menu IOS > instant brick !

- Renaming the bootmii folder in the SD will only stop bootmii to start its menu. You are still protected from brick, and not annoyed by the menu. You're hacking your wii without even understanding it (don't misunderstand me, this is not a blame :moogle: ), then the best advice we can give you is to KEEP bootmii !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated