How can I run Gamecube backups?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by admiralsfan, May 29, 2009.

May 29, 2009
  1. admiralsfan
    OP

Newcomer admiralsfan Advanced Member

United States
    If i burn a gamecube game to a disk and play it off Wii Gators backup launcher will it work? Is there anything that will work?

2. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
    For gamecube backups there is the WiiGator's GameCube Backup Launcher. You will have to install a custom MIOS (IOS used in gamecube mode) for it to work.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=142535

I've personally havn't used it. I'm sure someone else can give you more information.

3. admiralsfan
    OP

United States
    thanks, i'll try this out!

4. and0r

Banned and0r Banned

United States
    follow the link lexip gave you...

download the file...

RENAME the file extention to .TGZ (not .gz)

then extract with winrar or 7zip

you need a gamecube controller for the following - - -

install cmios installer

now you can launch gamecube backup launcher.

5. Matt93

Member Matt93 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wow, for once people actually helped someone instead of telling them to **** off and search. Glad to see it.

6. Millionaire2K

Newcomer Millionaire2K Member

United States
    Yeah because it was "newcomers" that wanted to help. there is a group "vets" that can be rude at times.
    [​IMG]

No names but its true.

7. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Seems you need to extract the tgz inside of the other tgz file you download.

Extract the file I linked to.
    Once extracted there will be a file named "gcbackup0.2.tgz".
    You will need to extract that to get the .dol files to run.

8. and0r

Banned and0r Banned

United States
    ya, "vets" think that because they frequent a certain forum that they own it.

also, science recently discoverd the direct link between people who horde information that choose not to help others out and homosexuallity.

9. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Keep in mind that you will in fact need a gamecube controller, and gamecube memory card if you want to save. Just to prevent the question being asked, as it always is: NO, you cannot use a classic controller or save to SD.

Here's a link to the compatibility list:
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/Gam...patibility_List

Also, MultiGame ISO Creator is a great tool for making multigame discs. I have a disc with 9 games on it, for example. Beats wasting a whole dvd, when the average GC game is around 500MB.

10. imapterodactyl

United States

Yeah, either that or they want to prevent the forum from being overloaded with 1,000 threads asking the same damned question. What "hording" might you be speaking of, since the information is all over the forum, waiting to be looked at? Self righteous much?

The fact is, TONS of people pop in here every day and start asking stupid questions without even taking 10 minutes (or in some cases 30 seconds) to find the answer themselves.

I help when I can, but when somebody asks something like "What's a USB loader do? Is it a way to backup your savegames?" when there are endless threads explaining exactly what the damned thing does, it becomes incredibly irritating.

11. admiralsfan
    OP

United States
    yeah, i always look around for answers before i post...oh which reminds me should i just download the latest MIOS (v8)? I'm just asking because I don't want to brick my wii for something stupid like downloading the wrong version...

12. imapterodactyl

United States
    As it says in the cMIOS installer readme, use RVL-mios-v8.wad for wad installation (placed in the root of the sd card). This is not necessary for network installation. Place the cMIOS_rev3-Installer.dol (this is the name of the one I have installed.... I believe there may be a newer rev that you can also choose to use, but I've never had any problems with this one, so I've left it alone) in the apps folder, within a folder name of your choosing. I use apps/cMIOSr3. Rename the .dol to boot.dol, and run it from the homebrew channel. Tada! You've got a cMIOS installed [​IMG]