How bricked is my Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by PassiveFist, Feb 10, 2010.

Feb 10, 2010

How bricked is my Wii? by PassiveFist at 11:41 PM (1,761 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. PassiveFist
    OP

Newcomer PassiveFist Newbie

United States
    Been working at this for a couple days.

This wii has 4.2U, Bootmii installed as boot2 but never bothered to do a NAND backup [​IMG] [​IMG]

I went to launch the shop channel to buy Blaster Master Overdrive and it claimed an update was needed. Without really thinking or paying attention I let it. After it rebooted, black screen. No health screen.

I can use Savemiifrii to get to the bootmii recovery menu but can't launch HBC and don't have a nand backup to restore, so that seems like a dead end. From what I understand at this point, I'll need an autoboot-able mod chip to run a wad manager or maybe the universal unbrick disc.

This might all be moot cause this wii has system menu 4.2 on it already, in which case I'm well and truly fucked.

Anyway, how screwed is this Wii? Can it be fixed by any known means?

2. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    If you really have BootMii as boot2, you don't need to use Savemiifrii to get into BootMii. Actually, if you use Savemiifrii you don't get into the BootMii menu. Are you sure you have BootMii as boot2 installed?

If you get into the BootMii menu and booting HBC fails, you can try booting WAD Manager with cBoot2 to check how bad your brick is.

3. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    I'd say it's a 100% brick, only fixable with an Infectus. The recovery menu won't do you any good until Menu 4.3 comes out. You lost bootmii/boot2 with the 4.2 update.

4. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    if he updated then bootmii should be gone. something doesnt add up there. but regardless, just go the cboot2 method.

5. PassiveFist
    OP

United States
    Oops I fucked up in my first post. The bootmii menu opens because I had the memory card still in, and NOT because of savemii. The savemii recovery menu is inaccessable. God I am such a failure [​IMG]

Damnit this renders a lot of my testing and effort irrelevant. That's great.

In any case, the Bootmii menu does load when the SD card is in, but as before it does me no good. Infectus, eh?

6. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    Just use cboot2 to load wadmanager and install your system ios and system menu.

7. kpoman

Newcomer kpoman Member

United States
    Out of curiosity (and so I can avoid this) what was the root cause of his Brick? Just by updating the Wii through Ninty? Stubbed Iso?

8. PassiveFist
    OP

United States
    I suspect it's because of a fuckup with IOS60.

9. foolontehill

Newcomer foolontehill Advanced Member

United States
    Why did it tell him he needed an update? I am thinking about getting this game and wondering how safe it is. I followed x-zero's guide to softmod my wii, and everything is running perfectly.

Am i safe opening up the shop channel? (Although I could always refuse any update it is asking for.)

Also, would priiloader block this update as well?

10. PassiveFist
    OP

United States
    Looked around this forum and a couple others to find out about cboot2. After collecting up the files and suchlike I found a short video of how the process should work, but there's a critical snag.

HBC won't launch from the Bootmii menu, something I neglected to mention from the start [​IMG] A major detail, I know. (Makes me wish I had a checklist for how to diagnose and explain what's going on.)

Power on no SD card = Black screen, no health screen
    Savemii menu inaccessible

Power on with SD card = Bootmii
    Both Wii and HBC buttons = Black screen
    Making a backup works, but doesn't help obviously

Anyway I'm stuck. It seems to me that if the Wii runs Bootmii without complaining that there is still some spark to be fanned back to life, but I don't think I understand enough of how the process is supposed to work.

(This is the first system I haven't been able to un-brick, I've done friends' handhelds and other consoles)

11. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You'll need either a precompiled cboot2 (Google, I can't link that here), or another wii to run the cboot2 installer on.

12. PassiveFist
    OP

United States
    Pretty sure I have all the files necessary, but I can't even run the cboot2 installer because I can't launch HBC.

13. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    That's why I said you need another wii or a precompiled cboot2. The precompiled version doesn't require the installer since it's already "installed".

I'd link to it, but it contains copyrighted code...

14. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    Google:
    cboot2_wadmanager_1.5_mod.zip

15. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    cboot2 wadmanager can be run so long as you have bootmii/boot2 - you don't need HBC to run it.

16. PassiveFist
    OP

United States
    Thanks for all the aid guys. I got it fixed.

Had some trouble with my memory card so I borrowed a smaller one and formatted it FAT16 and that helped. Got DOP-ios going and reinstalled the Shop Channel-related IOSs and System Menu-related ones, now it's working normally again.

Time to write a real NAND backup and save it in my Dropbox or something so I can't possibly lose it.