HomePass Warning

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Intronaut, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Intronaut
    OP

Intronaut An star maker

Nov 18, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Today, we was doing homepass with a friend, both with a 9.2.0 firmware. Suddenly, He stopped receiving streetpasses. He checked settings and his firmware is now 9.4.0-21, while i am still in 9.2.0. He didn't deliberately updated their 3DS, so I fear the worst: automatic update installation.

2. justln

justln GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2013
    Yeah, cool story bro.

3. OllieD

OllieD Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2008

Automatic/Silent firmware updates for portable consoles will never be a thing. If your battery died or you turn off the console mid update you would brick the device and without some form of warning or confirmation you would be in very muddy legal water.

4. Intronaut
    OP

Intronaut An star maker

Nov 18, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire

Don't believe me if you want. Maybe I'm wrong, but I only wait for a reasonable explication.

5. Intronaut
    OP

Intronaut An star maker

Nov 18, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Ok, I see is very reasonable everything, but I don't understand however how his 3ds installed the update.

6. nosignaldetected

nosignaldetected GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    It didn't, unless he pressed the option to install it.

It would not install the update by itself. Download it, yes. Install it, no. There's no arguing this.

For a start, a console updating purely by itself without you accepting the installation first would be illegal in the EU.

Intronaut and ground like this.
  7. Thomas12345

Thomas12345 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    They can just use a snapshot and on the reboot check if update completed successfully. If not, use the snapshot. Even with a desktop plugged into the wall the power can go out, the user can manually shut down the computer, etc. there are already techniques for dealing with stuff like this

8. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    are you sure he didn't rush pressed buttons without even paying attention, or he lend his 3ds to someone who could press A/accept without his knowledge?

9. Intronaut
    OP

Intronaut An star maker

Nov 18, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I am sure, but in case of doubts: is there a way to know when an update was installed?

10. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Sure he wasn't pulling your pisser m8 and had updated to 9.4 to begin with and was trying to make out it was some secret Nintendo update through your HomePass? so you would start trolling on GBATemp. Cause that would not happen, fulllstop!!! Its called being naive! Or basically your just trolling about the idea, one of the two is right!

Maximilious likes this.
  11. ground

ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    apparently they have that: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Flash_Filesystem#NAND_structure

but did we get the stories about participial updates? (i am wondering now)

12. OllieD

OllieD Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2008
    I'm not saying it isn't possible. I'ts been possible for decades. Nobody does it because of reasons such as this.

13. Intronaut
    OP

Intronaut An star maker

Nov 18, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Emmm, no. I was only telling my experience. You're free to believe it or not. Now I know the automatic update is impossible, but I'm still wondering what happened.

If you feel trolled, please call the mods. Anyways I want to delete this post, because I don't wanna scare anyone.

14. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Wii U says hi.

Ryanrocks462, curley12 and medoli900 like this.
  15. nosignaldetected

nosignaldetected GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Yep. Of which has an agreement to automatic updates which you accept. 3DS does not have this.

16. irongecko

irongecko Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2012
    United States
    My 3ds has actually stopped working on homepass recently, but it certainly hasn't done automatic updates.

17. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    It might be because of the fact that you're using an old SSID and not a new one. I'm planning an update to MACycle soon that will warn users of this.

18. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    It's not an agreement when your choices are "Accept" or "Wii U becomes paperweight until you accept", it's extortion. Last I checked extortion was illegal in lot of places other than just the EU.

19. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    What.

Automatic updates entirely optional.

20. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    He must press Yes on updating dialog's appearing.

HomePass only forces every 3DS to connect to the Internet, which automatically downloads latest FW.
    But it never confirms the update.