Homebrew Suggestion Homebrew Youtube app?

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
I figure a Youtube app would make my Switch 25x more usable since i like watching youtube in the weekends when i'm going to bed and booting up my wii u doesn't really seem worth it to me since i'd have to stand back up and turn it off and unplug the wire to it. If i manage to accidentally sleep it'd run my Wii U throughout the night. mmmh. 75 watts.

YTElias

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
use the hidden youtube website by clicking your way to switchbru on facebook(using the share applet)
Isnt the best(i think its 480p)but it works

Reactions: ccprodigy
D

Deleted-442439

I figure a Youtube app would make my Switch 25x more usable since i like watching youtube in the weekends when i'm going to bed and booting up my wii u doesn't really seem worth it to me since i'd have to stand back up and turn it off and unplug the wire to it. If i manage to accidentally sleep it'd run my Wii U throughout the night. mmmh. 75 watts.

Your phone, PC, TV, Top-box and practically all other modern devices have a Youtube app, why do you need to use a Wii U or Switch?

Anyway it is possible to make a webapp that displays the TV site like the Wii U app does without much work, so rather certain one will be made.

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
use the hidden youtube website by clicking your way to switchbru on facebook(using the share applet)
Isnt the best(i think its 480p)but it works
I'd like to see my subscriptions and whatnot. Which is why i'd like a real full fledged one.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

why do you need to use a Wii U or Switch?
Bigger screen and nicer placement of the headphone jack. My phone is tiny since it's an Iphone SE.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your phone, PC, TV, Top-box and practically all other modern devices have a Youtube app, why do you need to use a Wii U or Switch?

Anyway it is possible to make a webapp that displays the TV site like the Wii U app does without much work, so rather certain one will be made.
not everyone has a device hooked up to the tv that also has access to YouTube. The only 2 things I had that could do it were the wii and a blueray player, both of which were removed from being able to access youtube by google. I did recently get a firetv stick on long term loan from a family member to fill the void but non the less my point still stands

Reactions: Centergaming

baretbh

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I hate posts like this. Why be against anything that adds to the user experience on the Switch??? thats just stupid

Last edited by baretbh,

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
not everyone has a device hooked up to the tv that also has access to YouTube. The only 2 things I had that could do it were the wii and a blueray player, both of which were removed from being able to access youtube by google. I did recently get a firetv stick on long term loan from a family member to fill the void but non the less my point still stands
I mean, i have my ps4 hooked up to my tv, but i'd like to use the switch for a "wireless screen"

Reactions: baretbh

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, i have my ps4 hooked up to my tv, but i'd like to use the switch for a "wireless screen"
oh, that would be pretty rad. Just undock and keep watching throughout the house or dock it in another room like from the living room to the bedroom. that would be pretty rad. It is so weird google hasn't put youtube on the switch though. pretty much everything under the sun already has youtube on it if it has an internet and reasonable processing power which isn't hard to achieve considering youtube is on the 3ds despite being absolute dog crap

Reactions: Centergaming

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
oh, that would be pretty rad. Just undock and keep watching throughout the house or dock it in another room like from the living room to the bedroom. that would be pretty rad. It is so weird google hasn't put youtube on the switch though. pretty much everything under the sun already has youtube on it if it has an internet and reasonable processing power which isn't hard to achieve considering youtube is on the 3ds despite being absolute dog crap
Nintendo KNEW they would get PWND in no-time which is why they blocked both the browser and youtube, like. Come on. Get your thumb out of your asses guys. Speak to Microsoft or Sony against piracy. Take some damn notes.

Last edited by PotatisKnug,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo KNEW they would get PWND in no-time with is why they blocked both the browser and youtube, like. Come on. Get your thumb out of your asses guys. Speak to Microsoft or Sony against piracy. Take some damn notes.
considering the rcm mode thing they can't really stop it with the current revision anyway

kai_dranzer2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
I have a Nexus6 (6" 2k screen), a Huawei mate 10 (2k 6" screen), android tv box in tv 22" and 55" smart tv, I never will would a Switch for wachting Youtube

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
considering the rcm mode thing they can't really stop it with the current revision anyway
Yeah, maybe should've locked down rcm. Pehaps a special device that plugs into the USB-C port? No. Nintendo is nintendo, short a pin, BAM.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have a Nexus6 (6" 2k screen), a Huawei mate 10 (2k 6" screen), android tv box in tv 22" and 55" smart tv, I never will would a Switch for wachting Youtube
That's you, i'd love to use my switch as a youtube / netflix machine. And with a 3hr battery on BOTW (perhaps up to 6 with YT / netflix) that'd be IDEAL.

machine69_420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Well the problem is again coming down to that we still don't have hardware acceleration.

Once that's out of the way, there'll be much more amazing stuff than youtube app.

TheKrane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Can we shift this conversation from "does it make sense" to "is it theoretically possible" please?

One of the reasons stated here is hardware acceleration. While decoding videos benefits from hardware acceleration, it is not a must-have for playing videos. Although there are other performance related factors that are still lacking in libNX and libtransistor.
Another major reason is that video decoding software such as ffmpeg has not even been ported to the switch yet.

A first step in the right direction would be trying to port a simple video player (maybe vlc) and see how that goes. Once we know how to play videos we're pretty much good to go, as downloading/streaming them from Youtube should be an easy task.
Once I have some more free time I might look into the possibility of this.

EDIT: trying to port libVLC to either libNX or libtransistor should get us started

Last edited by TheKrane,

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
Can we shift this conversation from "does it make sense" to "is it theoretically possible" please?

One of the reasons stated here is hardware acceleration. While decoding videos benefits from hardware acceleration, it is not a must-have for playing videos. Although there are other performance related factors that are still lacking in libNX and libtransistor.
Another major reason is that video decoding software such as ffmpeg has not even been ported to the switch yet.

A first step in the right direction would be trying to port a simple video player (maybe vlc) and see how that goes. Once we know how to play videos we're pretty much good to go, as downloading/streaming them from Youtube should be an easy task.
Once I have some more free time I might look into the possibility of this.

EDIT: trying to port libVLC to either libNX or libtransistor should get us started
REALISTICLY, port vlc, get some youtube subscriptions / login to kick shit off and then stream that to vlc. Done

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu