homebrew without a dvd drive possible?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Scorpei, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Scorpei
    OP

Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 21, 2006
    Netherlands
    I asked this a while back but I'm kinda hoping people are now more willing to try for me / have checked this [​IMG]. I was wondering wether running homebrew is possible without a drive installed. Naturally the drive is needed for the twilight hack and etc., but after that can one start and run for example the homebrew channel without problems without a drive?

An official channel dies shortly after you start it when a drive is absent in the Wii, hence the question. Cheers to anyone who knows [​IMG]. Seeing as I have a fully working Wii here that only misses the drive it would be great if I could set it up to for example run linux and be my WOL-box.

2. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
  3. WiiPower

WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Oct 17, 2008
    Gambia, The
    I too recommend to get a flatmii, for now it's the best alternative if you don't have a drive. Maybe you should ask someone with a flatmii if the HBC works with only a flatmii connected(without drive) and no pc connected)

I guess the homebrew disc channel doesn't really replace the disc channel it's just another homebrew channel.

4. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Guru

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    I was under the impression you could make a homebrew disc, boot it via HBDC, and in this case, try load it (as an iso) via flatmii instead of a physical dvd drive?

5. WiiPower

WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Oct 17, 2008
    Gambia, The
    I think the problem is that the Wii can't run ANYTHING when it doesn't detect a drive. But a flatmii can fully replace a drive, that's why i will consider buying one when my drive dies.

6. Scorpei
    OP

Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 21, 2006
    Netherlands
    @WiiPower, that is indeed the problem. The system menu works perfectly fine (the channel part) however as when a channel, regardless of which is STARTED by hitting the start button the channel starts but soon gives a black screen. The question in this is of course if, when using homebrew, this problem isn't there. Or indeed if when using flatmii the problem isn't there (which I would expect, but we can't be sure of course until someone tries [​IMG]).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice