homebrew updater?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Supreme Dirt, Aug 12, 2012.

Aug 12, 2012

homebrew updater? by Supreme Dirt at 3:51 AM (515 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Supreme Dirt
    OP

Member Supreme Dirt GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    So basically I'm looking to make a very specific piece of homebrew and know literally nothing about homebrew on the wii.

Essentially I'd like to have a program that downloads a folder of files to an SD card based on whether or not there has been a version change, and then immediately boots another program (a choice of either Gecko OS or returning to the homebrew channel).

That's essentially it. If someone could point me in the right direction or help me with this it'd be great

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    How would you know that the program had updated, though? Where would the updates come from?

3. ComeTurismO

Member ComeTurismO CTO

Canada
    Exactly! How would you know?

4. daxtsu

Member daxtsu -

Antarctica
    I guess the app would have to check Wiibrew/GoogleCode(if applicable), and parse any available information about updates.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    So you'd likely need to edit it for each update by hand (what with the download location and filenames and such), at which point you might as well be updating your programs manually.

Automatic update programs on the PC and such are usually done by hand, it's just that one person or team does it and then everybody else gets to reap the benefits, but doing it for yourself seems like a waste of effort compared to downloading the updates yourself when you see them.

6. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I don't think this is a good project. The reason: in order for this to work, all homebrew creators need to co-operate into A) uploading their latest versions to a common site (e.g. wiibrew), B) get a proper structure of numbering their updates and C) sticking by them.
    Purely in theory, a program can check online on that site for the latest update, and then go check \apps\\meta.xml for the line...where xxx is the version.

At the moment, everyone's doing their own thing with that line, though. Some put an 'r' in it for revision, other number it like "4.0.7" or "3 beta 2". Or don't change it at all (like devolution).

All in all: it's nice to show some ambition for creating homebrew that doesn't exist yet and shows some purpose...but it's really better to start by learning to use (and make) homebrew before attempting something like this.

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    there used to be something like this ages ago i think it was called the update channel? i think the guy added all the updated downloads manually though cos it was hardly ever up to date and fell behind :P

8. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
    homebrew browser is kinda what you want