Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
spinal_cord said:
starfighter1 said:
off topic (sort of) but will it be possible to emulate n64 on the dsi (with its added ram and such) because i could really do for some pokemon stadium 2
NO!
You can barely emulate an N64 on an overclocked PSP, that's 333mhz with a lot more RAM. There is no way in hell that a DSi, even with all the features unlocked would be able to do it.

Actually that's not an overclocked PSP. The PSP's CPU is underclocked (to my knowledge) to save battery life and the N64 emulators (along with normal CFW and other homebrew) have just unlocked it to its full speed of 333mhz.

its is commonly referred to as "overclocking", although you are correct that it is just unlocking full power and not overclocking at all. Official games can even do the same thing since about firmware 3.00

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Crazy-S said:
don´t forget the Iplayers potential
it can very good emulate GBA
and it plays avi files without converting them because it has an inbuild cpu (thingy)

Ah yes, that means we can magically emulate N64. That's right [/sarcasm]

iPlayer's CPU still doesn't give enough power to emulate N64. As for your argument about the GBA emulator - GBA is a LOT less powerful than N64. Or DS or DSi. Emulating GBA means nothing in relation to being able to emulate N64. It won't happen, believe me. The only way it could happen is if someone brought out a cart with several hundred MB of RAM (instead of the 16MB in current expansion packs) and a far more powerful processor, probably about 500MHz. And that would more than likely take the DS's battery life to about 3 seconds with brightness down.

Sergiyakun

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
Sergiyakun said:
SifJar said:
What game? There are several old games have been ported to DS, yes, but unless you tell us what you are looking for, we cannot tell you if it has been ported.

Well I was thinking along the lines SNES in the platforming and RPG area.

You do know there's a SNES emulator for the NDS...right?

Yeah but when I emulate its EITHER SNES OR my backups, I cant go between the 2 systems friendly.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Crazy-S said:
don´t forget the Iplayers potential
it can very good emulate GBA
and it plays avi files without converting them because it has an inbuild cpu (thingy)

GBA has a 30Mhz ARM cpu if I recall whereas a N64 has a 93.75MHz main processor and a 60MHz co-processor. The DS has a 60MHz main processor and a 30MHz co processor (the GBA's ARM) not sure what the iPlayer's is but its likely to be in the 100-200MHz range. You need 2-4 times the power to emulate a games console well so the DS really can't do it, ever.

QUOTE(Sergiyakun @ Jan 10 2010, 02:49 PM) Yeah but when I emulate its EITHER SNES OR my backups, I cant go between the 2 systems friendly.

What? Are you complaining that you can only run your SNES emulator or run your games without restarting your DS? Try and find out if your cart has a way to soft reset back into the main menu

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
GBA has a 30Mhz ARM cpu if I recall whereas a N64 has a 93.75MHz main processor and a 60MHz co-processor. The DS has a 60MHz main processor and a 30MHz co processor (the GBA's ARM)
Minor correction here. The GBA actually has only a 16 MHz processor (ARM7). The DS's ARM7 is clocked at 33 MHz, and is underclocked to 16 MHz when running in GBA mode.

The fact that it takes the power of the iPlayer and an emulator based on a dynamic recompiler to emulate the 16 MHz system should indicate that usable N64 emulation on the DS is indeed impossible. I mean heck, the N64 emulator for the iPhone 3GS that was just released, which was also based on a dynamic recompiler core, has major performance issues, and that's with a 600 MHz processor with 256 MB of RAM. The PSP, with its 333 MHz processor and 32/64 MB of RAM, struggles with N64 emulation. There's simply no way the DS or DSi could do it using only the hardware currently present on the system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: but nintendo licensed