homebrew mp3 players for gba?

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by Rensato, Aug 1, 2008.

Aug 1, 2008

homebrew mp3 players for gba? by Rensato at 10:39 AM (3,139 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Rensato
    OP

Newcomer Rensato Member

I wanted to buy a flashcart for my gameboy micro so I could use it as an mp3 player... (ds lite is too big X_X)
    but i can't find any hombrew mp3 player apps >_<

are there any hombrew mp3 players for gba?

2. dexmix

Member dexmix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    no

the gba doesn't have enough processing power to play an mp3 with any sort of quality. your only solution is to use a different code such as GSM, or use a Play Yan Micro which has a dedicated decoder chip.

3. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    You've got two options, both of which require converting.

The first is GBA GSM Player by Tepples, and it's the method I recommend. Use a program like Wavepad to convert your mp3 files to high-quality WAVE files. Download GSM Player and move these WAVE files to the "wavs" folder. Double-click go.bat and let it run to produce "gsm.gba" which you can flash to your cart. Once finished, delete the WAVE files and move the GSM files from the "gsms" folder to somewhere else for safekeeping (so you don't have to reconvert them every time). Basically, whenever you run go.bat it will package all the GSM files in the "gsms" folder into the gsm.gba file, so move your GSM files in and out of the "gsms" folder as needed.

Your other option is MusicPlayer Advance, which is much more cumbersome but allows for slightly better audio quality. Instructions are at http://www.gameboy-advance.net/emulated/mu...nce_gba_mp3.htm but keep in mind you can save as *.wav instead of *.pcm as long as you use the PCM codec while saving. Also note that stereo doesn't work for the highest quality setting.