Homebrew Homebrew Menu hangs 100% if launched after certain titles?

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I have a new3DS and Luma 9.1. I have an issue I can get around but that is nonetheless annoying: upon launching HBL via Music app AFTER certain titles, it will hang with a black screen. I get no crash dumps, just a black screen and I can still access Luma's menu to reboot the console. Some titles included Zero Time Dilemma and Castlevania Mirror of Fate. The crash is 100% of the time when launching HBL after those specific titles. If I quit the title and launch another one that isn't among the crash-causers and then quit that title and launch HBL, it will work fine. The titles themselves are also all fine. Why is this happening though?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The answer is apparently yes. I swapped the title to AR Games and launched after ZTD and got the same black screen.
  1. Take a spare SD card that's at minimum 4 GB and copy everything off it onto a computer.
    • The card has to be big enough to house the later game(s) stated in step 6.
  2. Reformat in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size using Windows File Explorer or guiformat (if bigger than 32 GB).
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Here's where having a smaller card really helps... No skipping!
  4. If the card passes without error, delete the *.h2w test files. If the card fails its scan run, it must be replaced.
    • A failed card requires going back to step 1 or 2.
  5. For the sake of controlled testing, build a temporary CFW setup using the starter kit found here.
  6. Add the Zero Escape - Zero Time Dilemma (EUR?) and Castlevania - Mirror of Fate (EUR?) roms you have onto the card.
    • You can choose just one game if it saves you time and memory space.
  7. Insert the SD card into the n3DSXL, hold (Select) to access Luma3DS v9.1 configuration, and select (x) Show NAND or user string in System Settings.
  8. Conditional: In GodMode9, convert the *.3ds roms into *.cia.
  9. GodMode9 → 0:/.../example game.ciaCIA image options... → Verify file. This will hash check the games.
    • Verification success = clean dump
  10. Rosalina Menu inject Homebrew Launcher in Nintendo 3DS Sound.
  11. Install the game(s) with FBI (either *.3dsx or *.cia installed).
  12. Attempt recreating the black screen hang up.
    • Try injecting in other system titles for repeatability.
Depending how the n3DSXL reacts will help us try to determine if the problem is coming from your main SD card, or there's something wrong with the 3DS firmware.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
What I've done so far, I ran a read+write test with h2testw and it found no issues. Chkdsk also found no problems. For fragmentation concerns I moved everything off the card and then back on. I also checked my ZTD and MOF cias with godmode9 and they reported success. I did not however, reinstall those titles.

Also as a mention ZTD was installed a month ago whereas I had MOF for much longer. With just these tests in place, the issue remains. Also, about the "show NAND or user string in system settings", what am I supposed to do with that? Yes I can see the change in string when I activate the option, but what else?

I am running Luma 9.1 and also AFAIK GM9 refuses to launch a .firm if its hash doesn't check out. I launched Luma from GM9 and it worked so a corrupt CFW firm file isn't at fault either. I have not yet tried to reformat 64KB down to 32KB cluster size to see what happens. So far all homebrew I ran(mgba,snes9x,duke3d,nestopia.....) never had issues.

I'd also like to add that my partition alignment checks out(had this initially formatted with SDformat for partition alignment - which forced exFAT, then I reformatted that partition - without any resize - to FAT32 with easeUS).

Last edited by Searinox,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I've done so far, I ran a read+write test with h2testw and it found no issues. Chkdsk also found no problems. For fragmentation concerns I moved everything off the card and then back on. I also checked my ZTD and MOF cias with godmode9 and they reported success. I did not however, reinstall those titles. Also as a mention ZTD was installed a month ago whereas I had MOF for much longer. With just these tests in place, the issue remains. Also, about the "show NAND or user string in system settings", what am I supposed to do with that? Yes I can see the change in string when I activate the option, but what else? I am running Luma 9.1 and also AFAIK GM9 refuses to launch a .firm if its hash doesn't check out. I launched Luma from GM9 and it worked.
Installing fresh copies of the games on a separate SD card was to isolate the problem between your SD card and 3DS firmware.
Also, reinstalling the games that are already on your main SD card would have erased your saves.

You can try backing up your ticket.db in GodMode9, restoring to an earlier SysNAND *.bin image or use CTRTransfer, update to 11.9E through Recovery Mode or System Settings, and then restoring the lost tickets by reinjecting ticket.db or using faketik.

This is if you're absolutely certain those two games are clean installs coupled with good SD card and up-to-date custom firmware.
You should back up all the saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM before doing anything else.

Edit - For GBA VC, saves are handled with GodMode9:
For DSiWare, you can back up the twln.bin found in [S:] SYSNAND VIRTUAL.

I am running Luma 9.1 and also AFAIK GM9 refuses to launch a .firm if its hash doesn't check out. I launched Luma from GM9 and it worked so a corrupt CFW firm file isn't at fault either. I have not yet tried to reformat 64KB down to 32KB cluster size to see what happens. So far all homebrew I ran(mgba,snes9x,duke3d,nestopia.....) never had issues.

I'd also like to add that my partition alignment checks out(had this initially formatted with SDformat for partition alignment - which forced exFAT, then I reformatted that partition - without any resize - to FAT32 with easeUS).
I caught your edits late.

Hmm, Another thing we can try is you provide your decrypted saves for the two games. I region change my n3DSXL with 11.5 EUR n3DS CTRTransfer updated to 11.9E. Install EUR copies of ZTD and C:MoF, restore the saves, and see if I experience the same problems with HBL black screen.

I may need to ask what your CRC-32 or SHA-256 hashes are for those games dumped in GM9.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing fine, and you?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    Im gonna see if I can find a ps4 to buy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    now that firm ware 11 supposedly is exploitable
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you see the fallout series
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is pretty good
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, happy birthday