Homebrew installation channel with modchip question

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by afdude, Oct 10, 2008.

Oct 10, 2008
  1. afdude
    OP

Newcomer afdude Member

United States
    hello folks, first post here, been a lurker trying to learn as much as possible. This is a great forum and has a wealth of info, but i think my question has slipped through what others have posted so here goes. Having a wii with modchip(clipped) im curious about installing homebrew channel. It is still necessary to install it to play homebrew and wiiware correct? Also as having the console chipped, is it necessary to use a store bought version of twilight? Or since being chipped can you simply use a backup to perform the procedure? Thank you for your time.

2. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Your questions have been answered about a thousands times, but as you're the first question I've read today I'll help you out.

As you have a modchip you can use a copy of Zelda to install the HBC, or use the HBC installation DVD.

You don't HAVE to use the HBC to run homebrew or install wiiware/vc wads, but it makes life easier.

3. afdude
    OP

Newcomer afdude Member

United States
    thanks much richy, i really do appreciate your time answering my question. Thanks again.

4. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
  5. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    Just wanted to share my experience with you guys. I have a Jap Wii with a modchip. But when I burned the Homebrew channel beta 8 (jap) iso it did not get detected. Tried dvd-r and dvd+rw but no luck. I know I have a pretty good modchip because I am running Super Mario Galaxy-U on my Jap machine without removing the 001 error. So I decided to use the Twilight Hack to install the Homebrew Channel. But unfortunately I only had a backup of TP so no idea which region it was from. I guessed it was the NTSC version 0 and used the appropriate save file of the TP hack and it worked on my first try! Pretty lucky huh? So this means that the TP hack depends only on the version of TP you are using and does not depend at all on the Wii's region. Hope this helps somebody.

6. ComplicatioN

Member ComplicatioN Broken Barriers

Australia
    if u got a modchip just use he installation image burn it to disc then run it and follow on screen instructions

7. Diffusion

Member Diffusion GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's trucha signed so it doesn't work on 3.3+