Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can't get to LMP's dl site.
frown.gif

can anyone put it in the download centre?

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Colors over Phidias ANY day, if for no other reason than pressure sensitivity.

I'm not sure how many people really realize this, but Colors is the first and ONLY application, homebrew or commercial that has EVER used the pressure sensitivity of the DS touchscreen (correct me if I'm wrong, but I've yet to see any - and even if one or two DO use it, they don't use it anywhere near as effectively as Colors does).

Add to that the use of the .drw format, and it's flexibility. While there are still some issues with the PC side reflecting the DS pictures, the fact that you are effectively creating a vector image instead of bitmap, and can render that image to nearly whatever size you want, grants you the ability to create MUCH larger images on the DS than Phidias.

BUT I must digress to one problem. I'd never heard of Phidias before, and it seems sorrowfully invisible to most of the DS Homebrew community, whereas the publicity that Colors receives in its development forum - gbadev.org does make it much more widespread. The phidias program itself is a wonderful application, but, to me, it just doesn't hold a candle to Colors as far as the use and feel of the apps.

Add to that that it still receives updates (don't know about Phidias on that end), and most probably works on more cards and carts than Phidias - even the infamous Games 'n' Music card by Datel.

I'm sorry if I sounded overly critical here, but I wanted to give Colors a little more show than people seem to have given it. I loved your article, and even the statement about Phidias - it showed me one app I'd not heard of, but I do feel that the two, at least, should have been given tied credits, rather than nearly ignoring Colors completely.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how many people really realize this, but Colors is the first and ONLY application, homebrew or commercial that has EVER used the pressure sensitivity of the DS touchscreen (correct me if I'm wrong, but I've yet to see any - and even if one or two DO use it, they don't use it anywhere near as effectively as Colors does).
I think the prime hunters demo is pressure sensitive, If you lightly touch the option it won't select, But if you just regularly touch it it will select.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just a quick note: as far as I know, you are correct. Commercial games in fact are incapable of using this pressure sensitivity due to a simple fact. The ARM7 controls the touchscreen, and the ARM7 for commercial games is supplied by Nintendo and cannot be modified by the third-party company. The Nintendo-supplied ARM7 only allows developers to determine whether the touchscreen is being touched or not; it doesn't report any sort of pressure at all, so developers cannot take advantage of it.

I think the prime hunters demo is pressure sensitive, If you lightly touch the option it won't select, But if you just regularly touch it it will select.
Perhaps at that point, Nintendo's ARM7 required more pressure to register a touch. That's my guess. Even still, commercial games are only allowed to use "touch vs no-touch" and not pressure sensitivity in the way Colors! does it.

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry if I sounded overly critical here, but I wanted to give Colors a little more show than people seem to have given it. I loved your article, and even the statement about Phidias - it showed me one app I'd not heard of, but I do feel that the two, at least, should have been given tied credits, rather than nearly ignoring Colors completely.
I appreciate the feedback, and still stand by opinion that Phidias is a more flexible and feature-full drawing application.

About "ignoring Colors completely", that I certainly didn't do. Colors! is the first thing I mentioned in the Phidias description, and even included a link to download it.

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I appreciate the feedback, and still stand by opinion that Phidias is a more flexible and feature-full drawing application.

About "ignoring Colors completely", that I certainly didn't do. Colors! is the first thing I mentioned in the Phidias description, and even included a link to download it.

I did use the adverb "nearly" in there ;-p. I simply feel that there are probably a greater number of artists that can use/abuse Colors for what it offers than Phidias. I know for one, at the least, Colors has allowed her to get back into drawing after a nearly completely crippling arthritic attack. She hasn't drawn for at least 3 years and has been doing a LOT of stuff on Colors of late - Phidias just doesn't catch her interest. Then there are numerous people who are buying DS's with cards like Games 'n' Music JUST to mess with Colors.

I do, however, have to note that there are still a few serious things that have to be done to polish Colors up to a professional level, including proper PC rendering, fixing the touchscreen jumping, which can be just a minor problem, to one person not being able to use colors as all as it ONLY jumps (but that's only one case we've seen so far). The biggest GREAT feature of Phidias I've seen is the undo feature. I'm just praying Colors will have that soon too.

But you mentioned earlier, when someone made the comment that the Colors gallery was full of better artwork than that produced by Phidias, you replied that that was simply because there was no real online gallery for Phidias. Can you supply a link for some of the artwork (of higher grade) that's been done on Phidias? I can think of some very useful things to do with the smudge and blur tools (that are lacking in Colors), but I'd like to see it effectively used.

Doggy124

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thailand

Urza

hi
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can some one tell me how to install it?
(What I have to do with skin folder?)

When I put all things in that file on root of my card and run it.
It only show black screen with something that should be letter, I mean it don't show the skin.
Make a folder in the root called "lmp-ng", and place the "skins" folder in that.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Pressure sensitivity is not that great. Sure it's a novel idea, but it's very inaccurate and varies on different parts of the touchscreen and across different DS's.

I'm sure that's why Nintendo doesn't incorporate it. It's not a reliable measurement.

This is because the DS screen hardware doesn't actually have any kind pressure recogniser under it., rather the software (in question - colors) determines a harder press through the amount of pixels being registered.

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pressure sensitivity is not that great. Sure it's a novel idea, but it's very inaccurate and varies on different parts of the touchscreen and across different DS's.

I'm sure that's why Nintendo doesn't incorporate it. It's not a reliable measurement.

This is because the DS screen hardware doesn't actually have any kind pressure recogniser under it., rather the software (in question - colors) determines a harder press through the amount of pixels being registered.

Okay, I didn't know how exactly that worked. If that's the case, then that's pretty smart to work it like that. That being said, for the most part, I'd agree with you about it being Novel, but as an artists tool pressure sensitivity is PARAMOUNT. People spend hundreds of dollars for pressure sensitive Wacom Tablets, or even thousands for penabled Tablet PCs. I have a Tablet PC myself and one of my hobbies, black and white colorization, would be near impossible without it. It provides a level of detail that is significantly lacking in even stylus based non-pressure sensitive applications.

Though I'm not a good artist myself, I regular go to artists conventions, and work with numerous artists in several areas of the field, and I've seen what people like/want/need. In the end, I've even seen 3 people buy DSes JUST because of Colors, and its pressure sensitivity.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok yeah, totally agreed with you. It's a well thought out feature. I was just explaining why i believe it's unique to this homebrew
smile.gif

And i know the creator has spent time trying to improve the consistency of the pressure senstivity, and most peope use it, so it's not so bad.

Colors is a very good app
smile.gif

takieda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok yeah, totally agreed with you. It's a well thought out feature. I was just explaining why i believe it's unique to this homebrew
smile.gif

And i know the creator has spent time trying to improve the consistency of the pressure senstivity, and most peope use it, so it's not so bad.

Colors is a very good app
smile.gif

Thanks for the levity of that reply. I've been arguing my point about an HD vs. Blu-ray vs they both die war for the past several hours, and wasn't trying to be attacking with that last reply, but in rereading I think I may have been. Your response has certainly eased my mood, and I appreciate it.

At the very least, I was considering (thanks to Urza's current list) to create a list of 30 up and coming Homebrew to watch for the next year, and Colors should definitely be on at least THAT list, considering what it will be when the proposed additions/changes are implemented (fixed jumping, 1 level undo, and full online support). I have a few others in mind for this list.

Anyone interested in helping to create the list, feel free to PM me with whatever app you think deserves a mention. There are some great coders out there doing a damn fine job creating their work, but getting little to no accolade for it. Boosting their popularity, and at least giving them a few more pats on the back may, at the least, spur them into that next release with those annoying bugs removed (ReadMore Alplha only working on one screen, anyone? I kid, Bjoern, if you read this. I know you're on vacation, enjoy it while it lasts, as I know it never does seem to last long enough).

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
haha HD vs. Blu-ray will go on forever
tongue.gif

don't worry, i didn't interpret your post as an attack. It's all good.

interesting idea about "up and coming", i could probably help you with that. although i'm not sure how confident one can be that some promising homebrews will indeed be improved in the future (case in point as you stated readmore)

On the topic of readmore, i'm sure Bjoern posted very recently on gbadev that he was going to release the source, so hopefully (if he does) someone will pick up and run with it (if he doesnt continue it himself).

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As soon as I saw that Colors was missing from the list, I knew it was a phailure.
Just kidding, Urza.

Great list, even though I have a majority of these.

I tried out Meteora an hour ago, and I CANNOT get enough of it. Jeez.. I think it deserves the title of a Commericial DS game.
nyanya.gif

~nero

Schaapje82

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just downloaded a few of the apps to try them out but I can't the iPod-thingy to work. Well, actually, it DOES work, I CAN play music, but i do not see the button at the bottom screen and the text in the upper screen is pretty much unreadable... Anyone got a tip? The homepage is down so I can't go there for help.

If you got the latest alpha, then you need to create a lmp-ng folder on the root of your card, put a "skins" folder in that, and add at least one skin. I can upload a mirror of a couple of the skins if you'd like.

Thanks to both of you! (Urza too that is). I already tried making a folder, but I called it lmp_ng instead of lmp-ng. It's working now!

Forsaken Destiny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This may seem to be an odd question, but:

Did someone already developed an IV/EV Calculator Homebrew for DS? I mean, i've been looking all over the net but haven't yielded any results. I've been seriously playing pokemon diamond for some time now and thinking if there is any IV calc homebrew, so just that I don't have to use the computer all over again just to recalculate stats. (And i'm also fed up of using manual calculation)

Also, did somebody already developed a pokedex homebrew?

NOTE: I'm not asking for one. I'm just questioning if there is, for all flamers out there.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s