Homebrew Channel Password

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by shpen, Aug 13, 2009.

Aug 13, 2009

Homebrew Channel Password by shpen at 12:21 AM (2,820 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. shpen
    OP

Newcomer shpen Newbie

United States
    I plan on letting other people use my wii. I've already got bootmii setup, and an easy 1 click channel to load the DVDs with games. I was wondering if I could place a password on the homebrew channel so that no one can mess around with any of my settings. Anyone know if this is doable?

2. WB3000

Member WB3000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There's no simple way. I suppose you could write your own program to gather the password, and then launch the homebrew channel from that. You could make the HBC a hidden channel, so that it would be inaccessible from the System Menu.

3. OriginalHamster

Member OriginalHamster UStealthy

Chile
    Your setting are stored in the SD as far I know, just take out the SD, or simple cut the conflicting apps and paste them outside the "app" folder, that way they won´t show up in the HBC.

4. EtherealX

Member EtherealX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Extending off a previous response..

I kind of do this for a buddy of mine who finds himself fixing his son's investigation all the time. Create a hidden HBC channel, make BootMii autoboot (assuming you've got boot2), and use Preloader to access HBC. Of course, the idea goes bunk once your friends know to hold reset to access Preloader.. works pretty good for the kids, though.

5. shpen
    OP

Newcomer shpen Newbie

United States
    I've currently got bootmii set to automatically start the system menu. If I need to do a nand reset or something, I use the boot.ini modifier application through HBC. You say holding reset will prompt the boomii menu, but it doesn't seem to be doing that for me.

Also, I've done a bit of searching but I can't quite find out how to create a hidden channel. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

6. EtherealX

United States
    It's a bit more complicated than directing you somewhere as there's hex knowledge involved. I'll try to get the .wad from my buddy and save the headache.. never used it on my Wii, so can't seem to find it.

In the meanwhile, you can copy the HB channel to a spare card, delete the channel from your Wii, and use your normal SD card. If you need to load HBC, you'll need to copy it back.

7. EtherealX

United States
    Better yet.. (I'm suppose to be on vacation) When I get home, I can make you a neat little toy that can somewhat solve the problem. Stay tuned. :>

8. EtherealX

United States
    I tested multiple options and played with them all on my Wii. These don't exactly do what the OP requested, but it does successfully hide HBC in a few ways.

a.) Cloak HBC, just masks HBC behind another channel. It still keeps a clickable channel on the menu but makes it appear as something else. (Simply, HBC with a banner of.. let's say, the News Channel.) HBC can be launched from BootMii, Preloader, (channel menu, obviously), and all means possible.. simply looks different.

b.) Super Cloak! same as above, but the channel looks like a blank channel slot (static tv set style.) You can still + or - through channels and find it, though. It hides quite nicely.

c.) Hide HBC. This basically installs a "hidden" channel that links to HBC. There is nothing to click on the channel screen. You can access it by the Preloader screen or an app with a HBC launcher (i.e.. USB Loader GX) The downside to this one is.. since there is no menu channel, it disables BootMii (from boot2) from accessing HBC.

d.) Use the built-in SD ghost file. In order for this to work, you can't run anything from the SD Card Menu (except HBC.) Just toss HBC on a SD card (obviously one you'll hide away, not the one you use normally) and run it from the SD Card. The Wii creates a ghost channel (you can see it in Settings > Data Mgt > Channels) This ghost will stay until another SD file is run (thus why you can only run HBC) or you run out of space (in which, it autodeletes to make room.) The ghost is viable enough to launch from Preloader and boot2 BootMii.

A, B, and C require some kind of wad tool. C requires a bit of knowledge to know how to break a wad from showing without it being a banner brick. D is completely performed on the Wii.

If you have forwarders for everything useful on the menu, and don't run anything from the SD card -- D is rather viable. Just remember that any of these doesn't prohibit launching HBC from another app that has a "launch hbc" option.

9. SolarFusion

Newcomer SolarFusion Member

United States

I know this is an ancient thread but....does anyone know how I can do these things? Google is turning up nothing else other than this thread.

SF

10. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Isn't choice D enough to hide your channel?
    it requires system menu 4.x with the "launch channel from SD card" menu. Transfer the HBC to SD, launch it from SD when you want.
    Only way to find there's HBC installed is to check the Data Mgt > Channels.

11. SolarFusion

Newcomer SolarFusion Member

United States
    Yeah, I tried that, for some reason it wouldn't work. I'm running 4.3U.

I found this program called HideandSeek though, do you know anything about it?https://sites.google.com/site/completesg/how-to-use/hideandseek

I was thinking I could access HBC by starting Priiloader, BootMii, and then entering HBC. In that order.

Opinions? do you think it's plausible? Is that HideandSeek app trustworthy?

Thanks,
    SF

EDIT: I just re-read Ethereal's post and he said that when hidden it cannot be access from BootMii... Hmm...Oh! But he says it's still accessible from Priiloader, that's good. Maybe no problem then.