Home-Made Android Ports

Discussion in 'Android' started by knobydobs, Feb 4, 2012.

Feb 4, 2012

Home-Made Android Ports by knobydobs at 11:22 AM (711 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. knobydobs
    OP

Newcomer knobydobs Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I have seen touch-screen phones that have specs that are very capable of running androidOS but are running proprietary OSes and I was wandering if anyone has ported android to them.

2. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    There are some old HTC Windows phones that had Android ported to them. Other than that, I don't think so. I think there was maybe an attempt to port it to the Samsung Wave or something like that, but I don't think that has come to fruition (at least, not yet anyway). Generally, most individual "dumb phones" are too niche for serious hackers to take an interest I think. Smartphones are too popular now to make it worth the effort I guess.

3. Gnargle

Member Gnargle The day I set a profile picture is the day I die

United Kingdom
    www.xda-developers.com
    Check in Old/Legacy devices on the forum.

4. knobydobs
    OP

Newcomer knobydobs Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks Guys
    It may not be powerful enough to do it in the end - if I brick it i don't mind as I have another phone which I can use :)

5. xwatchmanx

Member xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

United States
    I know that certain generation iTouches and iPhones can run "iDroid", but it's not that well optimized on all versions. Definitely fun for the novelty of it, though... I would definitely try it if I had an iDevice.

6. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I remember that HD2 had the best development for any phone even at this time. It originally came out with Windows 6.5, and was the first phone with a 4.3 touchscreen, and a 1GHz processor. The only problem with it was that it was running Windows 6.5. And since it came out before the Nexus One, it was the most powerful phone so it attracted tons of developers. It now is able to run Windows 7.5 Mango, Android 2.2/2.3, and now the developers ported Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich to it. Pretty amazing for just one device.