Highway anxiety

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by the_randomizer, Jan 10, 2014.

1. the_randomizer
    OP

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Okay so I'm about to go to a freakin awesome even tomorrow about 90 mi (roughly 150 km) from where I live. Only problem is that it's on a freeway and I admit, in all the years I've been driving, I personally haven't driven that far in a single setting. I won't be riding alone however, as I've a friend, her roommate and my mother going with, so I'll only be driving one-way from the looks of it. But what I want to know is, one, why the hell do I make a mountain out of a molehill about highway/freeway driving, and two, what can I do to calm my nerves so I don't freak out when I do go?

This thread is silly, I know, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter :)

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I've gone on journeys where I was traveling 13 hours in a car on me own.
    Driving 1100 km.
    I just freaking love to drive alone <3

Not only that but I make frequent trips that are an 2 hour drive.
    I guess I'm used to it.
    Almost forgot that of those 2 hours a good 1.5 hour is at 180 km/h ;p

What you can do about it?
    Just put on some music.

3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Just drive.

Seriously, as someone who has to drive on the highway almost every daydue to where I live, there's really nothing to it. It's actually easier than small town roads since all you have to do is go straight and go fast.

4. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

:P I wish I could but my speakers are blown and sound crappy with music, but you're right, I just have to do it.

Good point, the other thing is this particular highway can get a little dicey at times, even though I'm assured by my friend who frequents this highway that the roads are well taken care of.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I assume you mean 90mi instead of 90 km in the OP? That's not that bad at all really, only...what, hour and a half or so drive? Just...don't think about it is the best advice I suppose, and since you've got friends with you you can always have some sort of conversation that will take your mind off it.

When I went on a little trip to MN from MI on my own it was like...a 700mi drive there that took like 8 hours (1,400mi round trip at a total of 16 hours driving, since I went around Lake Michigan ._.). Worst part was how absolutely boring and uncomfortable you get after a few hours, but since you're not going that far...you shouldn't have any problem lol.

6. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Whoops, fixed that in the OP. The other issue is I never know what the weather will be like, much less the condition of the road, seeing as it might rain while we're driving and could turn to black ice, see the very fact the road conditions could turn dangerous scares the hell outta me, and i don't want to put our lives in danger. I guess the distance doesn't bother me so much not a problem, but the unpredictability of the road condition itself and what could happen if we're halfway and we get a shitload of ice is the main issue. That and I don't think my 2003 Honda Civic has ABS. I wonder if my friend would be able to drive in my place.

7. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Yeah, living in Michigan I guess I didn't really think about that since driving in that kind of weather is usually normal for me :lol:

If you ever feel nervous about the road's condition, there's no problem with slowing it down a bit. I myself will get behind a semi truck to sort of...avoid those aggressive drivers who have 4WD that ride your ass as if going a bit slow was a crime.

8. pyromaniac123

pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Sep 24, 2011
    Drink some tea :teach:

9. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

The only tea I really like is mugi cha or roasted barley tea, good stuff :)

Yeah, the highway has notoriety in the US as being one of the more dangerous solely because people are idiots and drive way too fast, well that, and it winds a lot through a canyon, so when people go too fast, yeah, it makes perfect for ramming into semi trucks. I don't drive like a maniac so I can rule that out, and the speed limit is 60 if I'm not mistake, so it wouldn't hurt for me to to 50 or 55 mph.

10. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    When I bought me car, the garage owner ripped the radio out.
    I drove 2 weeks with me phatty DS + Supercard GBA as me radio.

Honestly, as long as you got some music on, the trip will seem like it's only seconds instead of hours ;p

11. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Again, not possible, speakers are FUBAR and have to be replaced. It's ear-bleedingly painful with the way they are now :rofl2:

12. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    MP3 player with portable speakers?
    Phone?

13. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Nope and nope. Can't afford them right now either. I'll have people going with so I could talk to them ;)

14. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Aye aye.
    Well if the conversation halts then you can ask one of them if they got some good music that you'd like to hear ;]

15. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I have to go to somewhere like Best Buy and get my car audio repaired, then I can enjoy road trips Maybe if I sold my PS3, I could get the money to do it. Anyway, still, I need to face my fears and just do it, even if Hwy 6 has notoriety for being dangerous.

16. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Driving at 110 mph is more dangerous then what, 85 max or whatever the speed limit is ;p

Seriously, you'll be fine chap.
    Just keep your eyes on the road, have some fun with your mates by talking.
    It'll be over in no time ;]

17. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

The max limit for this highway is 60 mph (roughly 100 km/h) so I should be fine :P

18. Gore

Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 15, 2007
    United States
    The highway is a lot easier as mentioned before since you just have to pay attention to any slowdowns and keep going straight. Sucks you can't put on music (though I'm sure you could find a way I won't argue) honestly on the freeway I just sort of zone out and go on autopilot. At the same time I like to speed, I think it's fun to drive

19. the_randomizer
    OP

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Again, the weather tomorrow is a mystery, it may rain and turn into ice, but then again, it's supposed to be in the mid 40's so hard to say, that's what freaks me out the most, the fact it can turn dangerous and also my car doesn't have ABS I think. But in all honesty, it all boils down to common sense :P

20. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Start out slow at first; it's a brave step into a new world of driving. Riding with someone is always best; you do so much talking to them. You ever hear of those little old ladies on the highway that everyone gets ticked off at because they go so slow? Be like them; don't worry about the "speed demons"; they won't intentionally crash into you. Besides, if you're a generally safe driver, nothing can go wrong. Just drive the way you would drive through a residential neighborhood. Only go a bit faster, like 10 miles/hour. Good luck. :yay:

the_randomizer likes this.