High Voltage's Next Game: Gladiator A.D.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
pre-e3-2009-gladiator-ad-revealed-20090525022235137-000.jpg

Via IGN, High Voltage Software announced their next game; Gladiator A.D. Gladiator is a violent, 300 inspired, roman fighting game. High Voltage promises many characters and environments. They also said it will have better graphics then the conduit to to its genre and their history with their engine. Wii Motion Plus will be used in the game. A multiplayer splitscreen will be included and they're considering an online mode. Expext this to launch Q1 2010.

Color me not as impressed as I first was with the conduit but seeing potential. If they fulfill their promises of a deep fighter without button mashing as an option this could be great.

IGN: How do you control the game? Please be specific? Are you using Wii MotionPlus for anything?

Kerry: The controls use Wii motions with the Wii remote and nunchuck to initiate an attack. There are six basic attacks: Left, right or overhead, both light and heavy. The player can also block or dodge in any direction.

David: We are taking full advantage of the Wii Remote's motion-sensing capabilities for combat. We are very proud of what we have been able to accomplish using just the Wii Remote. That said though, we are currently incorporating the latest version of the Wii MotionPlus firmware and will support it.

Eric: The Wii MotionPlus will be used to add variance to the attacks to break up what could possibly be seen as mechanical attacks. For example, depending on the orientation of the player's wrist when a left slice is initiated, the gladiator will attack his opponents right side from one of three angles, making it slightly more difficult to perfect block player's using the Wii MotionPlus. We are also looking into other applications for optional game-play with this peripheral.

Source: IGN

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
They say it looks good but... I think it looks like a first generation PS2 game...
But I'm guessing it'll look much better since they must still be at early development.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
golio514 said:
They say it looks good but... I think it looks like a first generation PS2 game...
But I'm guessing it'll look much better since they must still be at early development.
yeah I slightly agree. Most of the screen shots look underwhelming except the one I posted. And as you stated they are still in early development. Look at the conduit when it was first announced to now and you'd be amazed. I think the graphics will be alot better.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
frantier123 said:
I thought that this screenshot looks not bad ...

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14350710/gl...5022231231.html

I mean, the bloodstain on the shield looks rather realistic
Agreed. The shield looks good...everything else not so much. I think high voltage needs to keep away from bare skin. You can bump map the hell out of items but not to skin. If u look at the screen shots all the items and stuff look really nice becasue of their engine. But the skin looks ugly. A downfall of the Wii not high voltage IMO.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dinofan01 said:
frantier123 said:
I thought that this screenshot looks not bad ...

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14350710/gl...5022231231.html

I mean, the bloodstain on the shield looks rather realistic
Agreed. The shield looks good...everything else not so much. I think high voltage needs to keep away from bare skin. You can bump map the hell out of items but not to skin. If u look at the screen shots all the items and stuff look really nice becasue of their engine. But the skin looks ugly. A downfall of the Wii not high voltage IMO.
Thta being said, there is no reason why the skin issue cannot be remediedduring development, considering it is still in early stages.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The picture in the first poost looks good to me.
About the right look for a 3D fighter more or less with a buncha effects thrown in.

That last picture in the link there though, I agree it looks crudy but with effects and glowing here and there.
But hey, its still one of the best looking games on the Wii xD

Good graphics just make us feel better when playing with friends or comparing games.

Gameplay wise is the real deal, but from what I'm reading I think it won't be that great.
It might be OK though.
We'll see how High Voltage refines games like the Condiut before we know how they'll handle this.
With such a generic theme they tend to end up to be a rather generic fighter in mechanics.
Not my sorta thing, but I'd like to try it.
I'm still waiting for SF4 for Wii xD

As for controls, classic controller and arcade support is a must.
Waggle even with new motion controls will probably not be so great.
Plus delayed, and delays in a fighting game is really really bad.
Add online play and you get double lag.

Still I hope it gets some good attention at this years E3.
The more attention they have the more likely they'll put more effort into it.
Though considering their target audience they aren't exactly going for a cheap buck anyway.
So we'll see when its out.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
War said:
I thought their next game was supposed to be a game based on the upcoming Astro Boy movie?
Well actually their next game will probably be Animales de la Muerte.

This game looks alright, still need to play The Conduit for me to care though otherwise its just another game from the developer of Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude, 50 Cent: Bulletproof G Unit Edition, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Family Guy Video Game!, Go, Diego, Go!: Safari Rescue, Evasive Space & Ben 10: Protector of Earth.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looking at the interview, they seem to be saying there are RPG elements, and a selection of characters with unique back stories. Problem being, you can't expect the deepest of stories from a Roman Gladiator :\. Still, this has potential to be very good, will watch out for it.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Trolly said:
Looking at the interview, they seem to be saying there are RPG elements, and a selection of characters with unique back stories. Problem being, you can't expect the deepest of stories from a Roman Gladiator :\. Still, this has potential to be very good, will watch out for it.

Thanks for mentioning that. Hopefully this gets some better looks, but the base is already good.
The RPG elements could be really interesting for me, I love games with some RPG thingies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Hn-gx9VjRt8?t=153