High CPU Usage and RAM usage?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by UnseenHero, May 21, 2011.

May 21, 2011
  1. UnseenHero
    OP

Member UnseenHero The UnseenHero

Canada
    Hey guys, Unseen here with another problem -.-" anyways to the point. This week my Sony VAIO Laptop has been kinda bugging on me. Whenever I tried to do my powerpoint projects i would hear my laptops fan working and would heat up very quickly. Every time I restart my computer and delete the softwares that start up with it (utorrent, voice recognition, etc..) it still uses approximately 50% of the CPU and 40% of my RAM. The only things I installed this week was AVAST which is running but idk how much CPU and RAM that takes (doubt it's a lot) and I enabled my computer as a media server for my PS3 which I stop when not in use.
    Any ideas?

2. Twilight Loz

Member Twilight Loz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    try checking the amount of cpu avast uses but the control manager (ctrl + alt + del) and then click on 'processes' tab and then look for avastsvc.exe. Over there, you'll find how much cpu and RAM is taking up

3. CrimzonEyed

Member CrimzonEyed GBAtemp's Assassin

Japan
    Windows 7 take around 30-40% of your ram memory if you have 2gigs of ram.

4. UnseenHero
    OP

Canada
    I got 4GB of Ram and still uses 40% [​IMG]

5. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    4GB is minimum for windows 7 x64, reguardless of whatever the box specs say it is.

You can monitor what is running with process explorer:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

To run task manager just type in the search programs/files box taskmgr and hit enter.

The latest version of Avast does sandtrapping for your apps so it might suck alot of your resources to do that.

As for optimizing your windows 7 setup you should visit tweaker forums for windows 7 like:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/
    http://tweaks.com/windows-7/

Use hijackthis to remove things from the startup group
    http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

One of your biggest cpu suckers is likely the superfetch service, it goes into overdrive when you run the office suite.

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If you can't see the processes that are using it in the process list, click the "show processes from all users" button.

Crap about the RAM usage here.

7. UnseenHero
    OP

Canada
    Thanks guys [​IMG]
    I will try all your suggestions and I am using Windows 7 so I don't know if Rydian reply effects me or not but thanks if it did [​IMG]

8. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    I've been using a tool that frees up RAM from Advanced System Care 4 for a while now. I have 3 GB of RAM, and I'm on Windows 7 32 bit. Back then when I didn't have the tool, my max free RAM with no programs running would be 2300 MB. I use the tool everyday and now get up to 2500 MB (with GameBooster on). The tool's called Smart RAM, and it's located in the Toolbox > Optimize section if you do choose to download and install the program.

9. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Obviously it does, it's not like they would go back in time with 7.

But there's more to it than that. Vista and 7 still do use more resources even when taking into account the memory used for caching that is often confused to be unavailable.

Do what how_do_i_do_that said.