Hi! I'm the main character!

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by kingkonghong, Mar 3, 2010.

Mar 3, 2010
  1. kingkonghong
    OP

Newcomer kingkonghong Advanced Member

United States
    First, before I say anything, I want to let everyone know I don't hate "the MC can't talk games."

Now to the main point. Its stupid where I see a game with a good story and fun gameplay be ruined by one fact. Your "Hero" never talks and doesn't have a personality of his own. Holy crap. Why'd they even bother giving the game a story if the main character can't talk!

GOD. ITS SO STUPID.

I know the game is a ROLE PLAYER and that you are role playing as the hero, but because of the lack of voice and thus personality, it doesn't feel like I'm actually a person. It makes no sense in the story too. The other characters apparently know everything about the way you think and tell you because you have no voice and can't express any emotion at all.

I've played tons of great games where the game's story was just crippled because you play as a hero who really doesn't contribute to the plot. The side characters tell you what to do, progressing the plot, and it feels like they're more of a main character than you are.

Heroes without voices are effing stupid. No one can "role play" as a an epic war hero when you can't TALK and you do less to contribute to the plot than those random NPC's that tell you what to do. These "mute" heroes ruin the game and I hate it.

/rant

2. CyrusBlue

Member CyrusBlue GBAtemp Fan

United States
    My opinion is the exact opposite. I enjoy games where the main character doesn't speak. It's even better when I get to make dialogue choices. I like to feel like I'm the protagonist and the hero of the story.

This is why the Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games are some of my favorite RPGs.

Speaking of Persona, they should make a Persona DS. I would really like that....

3. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Golden Sun did something pretty funny with this.
    The first game took control of Isaac, who never spoke. You also met Felix during the game, who did speak.
    In the next game, you control Felix, who now never speaks, but you later meet Isaac who will speak.
    And when you finish the game, both Felix and Isaac will talk.

It's pretty weird.

4. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    ever wonder what the ... means in your character's speech windows?
    that means that the character is telling the person but you don't see, it is an ellipsis

the reason that speech hardly ever is present in RPGs for the main character is that you are the main character, why bore you with info you are already aware of (you played through it) when they can get back to game play quicker by nor showing it?

5. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    Even more, the tradition of a Hero who never speaks comes for ancient (???) times, when games like Chrono Trigger or others come across.

6. don_eno

Member don_eno GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    yes they are great games and they shoyld make a NEW persona ds game not a remake but a hero who doesn't speak always ruin the game. play mass effect to feel like a real hero

7. choconado

Member choconado Doesn't understand a damn thing on here

United States
    um... Doesn't this regularly happen in Zelda?

Also, apparently sadak5 is single digit age to consider a game that's 15 years old "ancient"

8. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    I like it when the main character doesn't talk, it gives him/her an air of mystery.

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I like it when the main character doesn't talk because then I can assume they said something realistic.

10. Danny Tanner

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The type of game where your character doesn't talk (but has a story) is usually about as fun as being conjoined with a porcupine at the scrotum. I know people say that games like these (typically traditional RPG's or Action-RPG's) have these 'epic' amazing plot, but most of the time, it's something incredibly one-dimensional, that has either been done a million times before, or I could cook up with a half-hour and a pen.

Take the MOTHER games, one of my favorite series of all time. The battles are BORING and the "story" is really nothing more than a cheap excuse to get the game moving. Things that happen in the game that are memorable, like, say, the Runaway 5, are not really part of the story, they're just interesting things.

So, yeah, not having the main character talk does detract from the story, but you probably weren't getting much in the first place. And before anyone says 'BUTOMG MOTHER3 is soooooooooooo sad!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] that's a good story! ' (which happens more on Earthbound forums than here), think about the 'powerful' events in that game. They were just really interesting, or stylish, or emotion-filled sequences patched together incredibly loosely by the half-hour of play in between each. That's not story.

11. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I think we'd all start to hate Link if he said anything more than Ha!, Ya! or Ugh!

12. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    And don't forget HYAAAAAARRRRGGGGHH!!!
    But yeah that's essentially it. Although I didn't mind Samus talking in the trailers for Other M.

13. Bently

Member Bently GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I agree with you... except for one game in particular.

Which is Suikoden Tierkries (Fail spelling [​IMG])
    Whenever the MC spoke (VA and TEXT) I usually would get
    quite annoyed.

14. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I love silent protagonists.
    They allow me to portray them as myself.

15. outgum

Member outgum Pokemanz Master

New Zealand
    Dont forget Navi.
    "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "Hey" "HEY LISTEN" "Hey" "Hey" ......

16. CyrusBlue

Member CyrusBlue GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Samus has always talked though.

It's only now that she has a voice actor to go along with her dialogue.

17. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The first Jak and Daxter game lampooned this concept and it was pretty damn funny. Jak wants to talk constantly but is constantly interrupted by Daxter. In the end though, he does talk. He has voice acting for all his other games as well.

Most of the games that have customizable protagonist games have your character never talking. It's probably to make it so it seems like you're the main character, not some random dude. Like Link is just his default name, you could name him Tom or Jill or whatever.

18. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    lol, Tom and Jill of Hyrule.

19. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Shining Force was that way. Max (the default name) never said a word till he was stuck in the dark Dragon with the Chaos Breaker. When he did speak, it was epic.

Posts merged

Shining Force was that way. Max (the default name) never said a word till he was stuck in the dark Dragon with the Chaos Breaker. When he did speak, it was epic.

20. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    I like the idea of a silent protagonist. Just look at Half-Life.

If your character were to speak it would break the illusion. For example if they says something that you think is stupid, or something you wouldn't say then you will feel less detached from the character and feel like it isn't you.