Hey Look another USB Loader GX Help me thread ;)

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by SSBBDaisy, Sep 14, 2013.

1. SSBBDaisy
    OP

SSBBDaisy Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2009
    United States
    Ok well i've been following someone else's instruction so here is what I have done so far.

So I've installed d2x v8 full into IOS 249 and IOS 248 both with a base of 58.

MY PROBLEM: USB Loader GX v3.0 IOS249 version will run and read channels and everything that is on my wii but not my Flash Drive.

I reformatted my flash drive to FAT32 and reput SSBB on the flash drive because the guy told me that USB Loader GX can't read anything formated to WBFS.

Something I should point out: When I change the settings in USB Loader GX from the default IOS249 to IOS248 I get an error saying it does not detect my flash drive but when I leave it at 249 and load USB Loader GX, I get no error, but no games show up, only stuff that is on my wii.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Here are your problems.

1. Base 58 is your problem!
    I don't know which guide you followed but it's obviously wrong.
    What you need is base 56 and base 57.

base 58 has the best compatibility for HDD (it's using nintendo official usb driver)
    base 56 has the best game compatibility, It's the one recommended in ALL guides if you want to use USB Loaders.
    base 57 is required for few games (call of duty, music games, etc.)

2. There's no need to install the same base in different slots!
    There are multiples slots available so you can install different things in each slot (because some game require different "IOS base" so it's good to install different bases in different slots, and use the required slot for specific games.

You need to install :
    d2x based on IOS 56 in slot 249
    d2x based on IOS 57 in slot 250
    if you want, you can keep the slot 248 with your current "base 58", it doesn't affect the console or other homebrew to have it, so just keep it, it could be useful.

Then, in USBLoaderGX, tell the settings to use IOS slot 249 as main IOS.

3. SSBBDaisy
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2009
    United States
    Ok I did everything you said.

I put based 56 into slot 249 and based 57 into slot 250. USBLoaderGX's default is already set to 249 and I'm not sure how I'm suppose to tell it to be the main IOS. I looked all up and down settings for a way to do that but don't see it. All I see is a way to change the ios in "Loader Settings" so I'm assuming changing it is what u mean.

After all this I still get the same problem with 249 now saying it can't detect my flash drive

4. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Did you test another USBloader (CFG Loader and Wiiflow)? are they working ?
    Maybe your flashdrive is not compatible with USBLoaderGX or with your Wii.
    Use another external device.

what the user told you about WBFS partition is wrong : USBLoaderGX is working fine with WBFS format, but it's deprecated and easily corrupted format so you shouldn't use it.

5. SSBBDaisy
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2009
    United States
    NeoGammaR9 works with it and reads brawl

Wiiflow will not read the flashdrive.

I will download and try CFG loader.

The goal of this is to play SSBB with codes again for my texture hacks and to use the record longer replays code so I can take the wii to tournaments again. (Disc lazer doesn't work anymore, curse Brawl's dual lazer requirement :()

EDIT: I now know that my flash drive not being compatible with USB Loader GX isn't the problem. I have 8GB Scandisk Cruzor. http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List

and still haven't been able to get this to work. this is the most buggy frusterating wii app I have dealt with omg.

6. cloudfe

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    Hello, I hijack the thread so I won't open an identical one.
    I have the same problem as SSBBDaisy, and this is my situation:
    - I followed this guide to the letter, and everything works fine (except, of course, the Wii backups...);
    - I'm using the same usb (and the same games) I used on my old Wii, so I know for sure it is compatible;
    - I checked the settings for the main IOS in UsbLoaderGx (it's 249);
    - I tried other loaders, but with no success (Wiiflow finds the usb, recognise the games, but instead of launching the game it takes me to the Wii main menu; Cfg Loader doesn't find the usb).

I really don't know what to do :(
    Could someone help?

7. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    The link you gave is not a guide. But if you followed one of the two guides from this forum you should have everything correctly installed.

Is your hard drive powered with USB or from external power source?
    If it's from USB, you need a Y-cable to get enough power.

Usually it returns to main menu when the selected cIOS is not present or incorrectly installed/wrong version, etc.
    Check that you correctly selected IOS249 or IOS250 in the loader's settings and in the individual game's settings too. (if you used your old Wii's settings on vWii maybe you used another slot)

If it doesn't help, you can try to reinstall d2x v10 for vWii (not for Wii) in slot 249 (base56) and 250 (base57).

8. cloudfe

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    Sorry, I meant this guide.
    Anyway, I decided to drop my usb stick and use just my 32gb sdhc card. Things work perfectly :)

Thank you for your help

9. cloudfe

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    Apparently I've talked too soon...
    Things went fine at the beginning: a couple of games loaded into the sdhc, and they boot no problem. Than I added others, until I had around 3.50 gb of free space left (on a total of 32 gb). And now the cfg loader freezes when I try to boot them.
    I tried deleting the games I added after the first 2, and now the first ones work again.
    Is it a problem of free space? I can't find anything in the forum.

Another thing: do USB sticks also need an y cable to work, or is it just the hdd? Should I be worried about what Nintendo said regarding data losses for USB sticks with the Wii U? I would only keep the games there (no saves or other sensible datas). I read here it should work, but that it's not a great idea...

10. cloudfe

cloudfe GBAtemp Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Belgium
    Hey, I got it work!
    I reformatted the sdhc card (64kb), filled it up, and (reinstalled and) used Wiiflow. It works
    Still some problems with the screen ratio of some games (tried every option, but they refuse to occupy the wholes screen).

Thank you for your help