Hacking hexkyz will release a cracked SX OS (eventually)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LMAO I wonder how many of you will try the cracked SX OS? Who do you trust more? hexkyz's ability to completely remove the brick code? Or TX's ability to not brick legit SX users?

I'd rather trust people who are transparent than a hacking group who likes pissing in peoples' mouths out of spite just because they had some of their thunder stolen. BFD. :lol: Bricking code is just a last ditch effort, kind of like that child who throws a temper tantrum every time their favorite toy is taken by an older sibling.

I.e. brick code is a dick move. DRM is for cowards.

xenofly

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
INCREDIBLY misleading title. Still, thanks for sharing that. Now we know what to expect at least.
Sorry, that was my bad english. I would edit it if i could. Just trying to be helpful to community as much as i can with my little abilities.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather trust people who are transparent than a hacking group who likes pissing in peoples' mouths out of spite just because they had some of their thunder stolen. BFD. :lol: Bricking code is just a last ditch effort, kind of like that child who throws a temper tantrum every time their favorite toy is taken by an older sibling.

I.e. brick code is a dick move. DRM is for cowards.
... And you're having another tantrum over something that literally has no effect on you.. And something you know next to nothing about.. Gg

It'd be great if people quit cherry picking parts of the issue..

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its unrecoverable because the password hijack is not producing the password needed, if it happens at some time, and because of the modified code it could be non recoverable

It appears to be recoverable even if you don't know the password, although you have to wipe the console and restore a full backup to do so.

I'm not sure where the random password came from, it sounds like he was calling random code and didn't set the stack up how SX OS normally would. It's possible doing that you could actually create the lock code where it wouldn't normally exist.

Reactions: Baoulettes

ZachSZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny how devs have always been super anti-piracy, but when it comes to tx that all goes out the window.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... And you're having another tantrum over something that literally has no effect on you.. And something you know next to nothing about.. Gg

It'd be great if people quit cherry picking parts of the issue..
Chill dude, he can voice his opinion as much as he wants, and the brick code is not different from the gateway days...

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i asked hexkyz in his twitter and he confirmed that crack is gonna be released for public use. Hope it worse new thread, sorry :D
Remind: hexkyz has 18 years of expirience in security
Proof: https://twitter.com/hexkyz/status/1011295732190490624
It's pointless to release it. First of all he most likely used version 1 of the boot.dat so it's already outdated. Secondly does he plan to make cracking SX-OS his new career as it is due for far more updates in the future?

ZachSZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well they think it's free to go now since pandora box is open anyway (by layer and SX)
Layerfs is not userfriendly and sx os has a paywall behind it. Although I don't have an issue with anyone cracking and releasing it, it just feels a little hypocritical is all.

salami68

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The os costs 20-25 dollars. What's wrong with you guys? Why don't you just buy it if you want to use it.

I think most people would be fine buying it if it wasn't from sketchy resellers that have been sending used codes or taking multiple days just to send a code. I don't think the moneys an issue, just that its more convenient to get a cracked copy than to deal with those sites.

70p453ty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pointless to release it. First of all he most likely used version 1 of the boot.dat so it's already outdated. Secondly does he plan to make cracking SX-OS his new career as it is due for far more updates in the future?

This is exactly what I think!
I mean, it's just about $30 people! Come on!

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think most people would be fine buying it if it wasn't from sketchy resellers that have been sending used codes or taking multiple days just to send a code. I don't think the moneys an issue, just that its more convenient to get a cracked copy than to deal with those sites.
it's more convenient to get something that's just now being speculated to it being released? what kind of crack are you smoking?

Reactions: Kioku

Pacote

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I wouldnt recommend using cracked software that gave the cracker a unrecoverable brick because of tampering, but people will try
Did you read his blog post? He recovered his switch just fine....

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also nice to see a great coder working on this... since Im no rush to play my switch I will just wait for the crack eventually :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended