Hex editors with S-jis support for MAC?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by azoreseuropa, Oct 20, 2016.

1. azoreseuropa
    OP

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    I am looking for one with S-jis and .tbl support for MAC.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Afraid you are going to be told to get a real computer or dual boot (parallels if you are unfamiliar with the concept) or run a VM (on Windows I quite like virtualbox but the mac set seem to plump for vmware's offerings), or hope wine/cider is up to the task (not impossible but I would not bank on it). I am not aware of any java options either if you were thinking about coming that way. ROM hacking has historically been and probably will remain a Windows only affair for the foreseeable future if you don't want to hand make your own tools. I am sort of surprised that nobody has made a quick and dirty port of a few tools but at the same time there are so few mac users and osx confers no benefit to ROM hacking so hey.

You might find a hex editor with basic shiftJIS support, though probably not really any good for ROM hacking (so many DS games use 16 bit encodings like shiftJIS but can end with 8 bit control characters meaning every other line or worse is not aligned and that breaks most text/basic hex editor decoding options).

azoreseuropa likes this.
  3. azoreseuropa
    OP

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice