Hacking Here's How You'll Be Able to Update Backups with TX

SilverfalconLP

Trophies
XP
Country
Mmmm games of switch have ID for online similar to 3ds games ? Can take ID for legit Game and spoof to other leaked dumps? ,Similar to files .3ds on old flshacard

Type_O_Dev

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thread should be renamed to "this is how you get banned by Nintendo quickly" - and now (possibly) have no update path in the TX ecosystem. :)

Here is the path through that scenario.

You have all those pirated games savestates, on your own Switch. If not right now - in they future they may contain unique cartridge IDs, that would be checked online. If one of those IDs is flagged as used by pirates - ban the user - and dont allow any online updates.

Enhanced version: Set a new flag on the console with future firmwares, that if set - prevents users from updating their firmware. Play cat and mouse with TX' on that until their users give up. :) Of course they now are on a rather current firmware - and have lost most of the other options they would have had with open emunand solutions. :)

Play a fun game, with pirates trying to spoof catridge IDs. Then ban them in waves.

Ya I was just thinking N is prob blacklisting the popular released game release cart IDs now. The only way i could foresee this working is app cart id changer.
then updating. I also imagine a way to sign a update with the dl games current id so it can be installed

Last edited by Type_O_Dev,

Sonics99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Legend of Zelda Proper release from BBB was the first release in the new .xci format.

They stated in the nfo for that:

"we have removed our carts cert file feel free to place your own. It lives at 0x7000-0x7200, these are as pure as pure can get, no more data on the carts not even padding, 100% complete."

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This doesn't mean that Nintendo won't be able to see that you don't own the game and ban you.

How can Nintendo see that you have the switch cartridge? I doubt they have the ability to mount that level of surveillance.

They might ban you for card sharing, whether you are the one who owns the cartridge or not. The problem there is you dump the cartridge and take it back to the shop, the next person who buys it gets banned.

as soon as Nintendo can patch out their TX OS entry point hooks.

All they can do is force TX to release an update, they can't lock it out. Nintendo can't update the bootrom in an update, the same as Sony couldn't on the PS3.

Last edited by smf,

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some of the posts in here are ridiculous. Nintendo is not stupid enough to try and do bans based on physical game carts, you know because they can't possibly know the origin/history/current ownership of each and every cart that gets inserted in a Switch. The only factor here is if TX is mounting the image in a way that makes it 100% indistinguishable from physical carts.

Edit: Obviously, not regarding online play here, that always carries substantial risks.

Last edited by subcon959,

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
They might do something like blacklist game updates for known piracy backups and invite you to supply proof you have the game before unblocking it.
and that wont be a great resource spent only to block updates, what nintendo can ban you for is for online, and people will get banned for it, not for having the game updated :P

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
and that wont be a great resource spent only to block updates, what nintendo can ban you for is for online, and people will get banned for it, not for having the game updated :P

Block updates, then force you to have the latest update before you can play online. If you pirate then you get no updates and no online. They should of course have a way of overriding the ban if you can somehow prove you own the cartridge.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
How come, people that grew up on social media newer understand how it works. ;)

In essence: You will never talk to Nintendo and they will never talk to you. If they ban you - you will still never talk to Nintendo, and they will never talk to you. If you talk to a social media manager at Nintendo, because you screamed on social, you will still never talk to Nintendo, and Nintendo will never talk to you - they just make your voice go into a compartment so people can think it has been dealt with.

Other people will not pay for support, so you can talk to support to convince them after you've been banned, that you've now bought a game, and deserve to...

One to many communication. As in - they talk to you, you dont talk to them. Algorithms deciding if your account stays online or not. Theres no person ever involved in that decision process. There is no review. There is no independent entity to lay judgment - there isnt even a person looking at the case.

You are a number, that just dropped from life time earnings 2k USD to 300 USD in their databases.

Also, the receipt you can pull - doesnt have the unique cartridge key on it. Ever. And sometimes not even your name.

No sh'tstorm in the world will change the economics of a mass online business. facebook is maybe 5000 people with 20.000 filipino workers in dark cubicles filtering through beheading and molestation videos - so some selfentitled person an ocean away doesnt have to deal with those. And they are serving billions.

Some of that contractual stuff that strips you off all of your rights, if you live in the US f.e. got invented to allow those kinds of business models (if even one 1000th part of their users would sue or demand an issue they have to be fixed - those businesses would falter and collapse).

With product companies like N its still a little different, but not when it comes to online bans - there is no repeal process, nor will there ever be one. If you as a singular case can gather some attention, maybe you'll get a PR representative that deals with you and make your problem go away - but this is strictly on a "wise king have mercy on my soul" basis, if we talk in middle age terms.. ;) (The chances of your plea being heard by someone in power are slim.)

Also I believe service manuals (never have read one) for consumer facing service farms these days are always set up to leave you in the following state: "Someone listened to me, and they told me that my problem was very real - but they had some issues in being able to reproduce it - so they told me if I bought new product..." They are basically good for nothing - but to solve about the 20 most common usage errors people have with their product. Apart rom that they are there to make you feel, that someone listened to your issue - and then nothing, ever comes of it. :)

Thats what you call "intelligent design" I suppose.. :)

Last edited by notimp,

Slade.AU

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Australia
Wow, the bad speculation in this thread is amazing.

It seems BigBlueBox is suggesting that each game cart has a unique certificate, and I quote "we have removed our Carts Cert file feel free to place your own". I say suggesting, because they don't specifically mention the certificate is unique per cart. This might indicate that Nintendo do have a way of tracking which games are being played. So the issue isn't so much that you're lending a game to a friend or borrowing a game from a friend, in which case there is only one copy of the game being played simultaneously. However if a few hundred people start playing Splatoon 2 from an installed XCI cart dump, and every one of them has the exact same certificate, then it's going to be damned obvious who illegally obtained the game and played it online.

And there's nothing to say that any game you play, online or offline (ie, single or multiplayer) doesn't have some sort of record stored on the Switch, which is then reported to Nintendo the next time the Switch is given access to a WiFi network. If you're reported as playing, as an example, the same cart copy of Cave Story+ as a few thousand other people, you might find yourself on the end of the eventual ban hammer too.

Again, pure speculation. Until these things start happening, no one is going to be 100% sure.

And until multiple copies of carts start surfacing, where people can determine if the carts are unique, again, no one is going to be sure.

Muskusrat

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And that is why you make sure you are never play online with a hacked console or be the first to try something new (like game updates). But I am surprised people still want to go online with a hacked console, how stupid is that. If you want to play online then buy the game.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And that is why you make sure you are never play online with a hacked console or be the first to try something new (like game updates). But I am surprised people still want to go online with a hacked console, how stupid is that. If you want to play online then buy the game.
I and many other people on GBATemp can attest that going online with a hacked console definitely does not immediately ban you. If you're smart and don't do anything suspicious, you won't get banned, plain and simple. Now if you do something like, oh I don't know, start driving at 9999 CC in Mariokart, then you will probably get banned. But the whole point is to be as conspicuous as possible.
Now, what about DLC?
Download it the old-fashioned way. By updating to the latest firmware and buying it from Nintendo's eShop.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • light27 @ light27:
    fun fact
  • light27 @ light27:
    the first time i ever played on a wii u EVER was when I was getting my ear tubes removed
  • light27 @ light27:
    i was playing wii party
  • light27 @ light27:
    u*
  • light27 @ light27:
    but i only got to play for like
  • light27 @ light27:
    3 seconds
  • light27 @ light27:
    younger me would've never thought that I would have a wii u now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, i wanted a Wii u as a kid when i watched a Mario kart 8 commercial on tv
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a Wii-U it sucked lol
    Even hacked it sucked lol
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    nah the Wii U wasn't bad
    +1
    the hardware is good
    The controller sucked
    it has good games, just not enough of them
    +2
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the indie games on wii u were amazing though
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    and also some of nintendo's first party games
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    some of the best selling games on the switch are wii u ports (that are priced way too high
    like come on 60 for a game thats a decade old??)
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @ColdBlitz, i forgot breath of the wild released for the Wii u
    $60 for a game that's a decade old might be unheard of on PC but actually is not uncommon on consoles
    +1
    especially Nintendo because they only ever lower the price of games when they do a greatest hits/platinum hits/players choice re-release
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, and the HD collections released for 7th gen consoles too
    but they don't seem to have done any of those for the switch yet and maybe never will
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I think we all forgot breath of the wild released for the wii u tbh
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, tbh the HD collections are more justified since they include more than just 1 game per copy
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @The Real Jdbye, tbh the HD collections are more justified since they include more than just 1...