Gaming help with xbox 360 flashing

blueyuk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi there..looking for some help please..does anyone know if it is possible to flash my drive to play backups??
xbox360 arcade
philips & lite-on model no. DG-16D2S

hope this is enough info..many thanks

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That is the unhackable drive currently doing the rounds*, you can however dump the key from the drive and swap it out for an older one (you could try buying a rrod xbox but I would advise against it if this sort of thing is not something you have a lot of experience with).
Standalone are quite expensive but for what you get: http://shop.01media.com/categoryb.asp?ID=1...ory=Tillbeh%F6r (I have no UK sites to hand right now but they probably exist).

Dumping a key is not a trivial matter either:
http://team-xecuter.com/ck3/liteon_windows.htm

*there have been rumblings of hacks on the drive but nothing concrete or even proof of concept has been demonstrated.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only way
short answer:
yes.

Long answer:
The way 360 backups work is that the drive is left to check whether a disc is legit or not. The firmware is responsible for the check and can be changed on the earlier drives to allow copied games (which by design of commercial writing tools is not able to make a true copy). The firmware can also change read speed and a few other things but that is getting ahead of things.
In many cases this change can be made with common hardware for PCs.
The new drives however have a protection against being written to and as 360s have a unique key for each drive (hence the need to dump the key when flashing it and the reason you can not simply hook it up and replace it).
Chips alter the firmware (technically they provide a dummy firmware and/or subvert parts of it), flashing the drive alters the firmware. Flashing a new firmware being so simple means chips were dropped early on and have never really recovered (I would certainly not suggest a chip to anyone).

Really long answer:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uxjpmc8ZIxM

I trust ebay about as much as I trust wikipedia but assuming you get what is advertised yes you can flash it.
As far as I know you will need either a VIA card or you will have to take a soldering iron to the drive and disconnect a resistor. Have a look for "Textbook's Guide To Hacking The 360"
Note the site linked is the text below is down and there is no mention of the key being sent.

blueyuk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
Only way
short answer:
yes.

Long answer:
The way 360 backups work is that the drive is left to check whether a disc is legit or not. The firmware is responsible for the check and can be changed on the earlier drives to allow copied games (which by design of commercial writing tools is not able to make a true copy). The firmware can also change read speed and a few other things but that is getting ahead of things.
In many cases this change can be made with common hardware for PCs.
The new drives however have a protection against being written to and as 360s have a unique key for each drive (hence the need to dump the key when flashing it and the reason you can not simply hook it up and replace it).
Chips alter the firmware (technically they provide a dummy firmware and/or subvert parts of it), flashing the drive alters the firmware. Flashing a new firmware being so simple means chips were dropped early on and have never really recovered (I would certainly not suggest a chip to anyone).

Really long answer:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uxjpmc8ZIxM

I trust ebay about as much as I trust wikipedia but assuming you get what is advertised yes you can flash it.
As far as I know you will need either a VIA card or you will have to take a soldering iron to the drive and disconnect a resistor. Have a look for "Textbook's Guide To Hacking The 360"
Note the site linked is the text below is down and there is no mention of the key being sent.

thank you again..about the soldering to disconnect the resistor(im no good with soldering)..would i have to do that with any drive or just the samsung drive?? which drive would you recommend??

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
blueyuk said:
thank you again..about the soldering to disconnect the resistor(im no good with soldering)..would i have to do that with any drive or just the samsung drive?? which drive would you recommend??

You only have to solder if you want to use any random sata chipset , use an Nforce one or a Via one and you avoid having to solder.

Still have to solder to get the key off the lite-on though , unless you want to spend stupid amounts on a Maximus 360 Xtractor + spear (not worth it).

QUOTE(Blue Zoidberg @ Nov 22 2008, 04:24 PM) While on the topic of firmware flashing, does anyone have any experience with the Xecuter Blaster 360?
Sorry to borrow the thread like that...

-BZ

It's pointless now , was originally about to let you update the firmware of the drive without having to keep opening the 360 and also so you could easily connect the 360 drive to pc to backup games. Now it's pointless , firmware doesn't get updated enough to make it worthwhile (never was , just for lazy people) and with the kreon drives about which are cheap , it makes no sense to use a 360 drive to backup games.

blueyuk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Armadillo said:
blueyuk said:

You only have to solder if you want to use any random sata chipset , use an Nforce one or a Via one and you avoid having to solder.

Still have to solder to get the key off the lite-on though , unless you want to spend stupid amounts on a Maximus 360 Xtractor + spear (not worth it).

QUOTE(Blue Zoidberg @ Nov 22 2008, 04:24 PM) While on the topic of firmware flashing, does anyone have any experience with the Xecuter Blaster 360?
Sorry to borrow the thread like that...

-BZ

It's pointless now , was originally about to let you update the firmware of the drive without having to keep opening the 360 and also so you could easily connect the 360 drive to pc to backup games. Now it's pointless , firmware doesn't get updated enough to make it worthwhile (never was , just for lazy people) and with the kreon drives about which are cheap , it makes no sense to use a 360 drive to backup games.

sorry for the silly questions, but here goes. basically if i just wanted to attach the drive to my motherboard sata port,i need to remove the resistor then all will be ok??do i need to replace the resistor afterwards??
also is there a tutorial anywhere about getting the key off the lite-on and putting it on the replacement drive? thanks again

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
blueyuk said:
sorry for the silly questions, but here goes. basically if i just wanted to attach the drive to my motherboard sata port,i need to remove the resistor then all will be ok??do i need to replace the resistor afterwards??
also is there a tutorial anywhere about getting the key off the lite-on and putting it on the replacement drive? thanks again

On an ms28 you remove the resistor and fit a switch in it's place , but you don't need to do it any more. Just use a via or nforce chipset and you don't have to do anything to the drive , just plug it in.

Only lite-on tutorial I know of is this

http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/X...D2S_Extract_Key

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

blueyuk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
What Armadillo said although when the via cards are £10 (and you said you do not like soldering) why bother:
http://www.shinyhardware.co.uk/products/Se...A_Chipset/1264/
My friend got one of these from there about two months ago for the purposes of 360 flashing, albeit for a VAD6038)

lite-on key dumping guide (I already linked it but hey):
http://team-xecuter.com/ck3/liteon_windows.htm

thanks fast, sorry but i had problems getting to the site until now..nice tutorial 2...quick question, do i need to use that ck3 thing or can i just use the power from the 360?? thanks armidillo but that tutorial was confusing from the start,no offence but not good with making things

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You have to use it. It isn't just providing power , it has the ttl-rs232 converter built in , without that , no key dump.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a Samsung 162C/D or Samsung 162A/B (A and B are Sata , C and D are ide) , flashed with the kreon firmware. As for where to get , can't help you. For some reason that drive doesn't seem to be common in the usa , where as else where it's all over the place and cheap (Here in the UK , easy to get , very cheap, £10).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs