Help with Updates

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by icon, Feb 28, 2011.

Feb 28, 2011

Help with Updates by icon at 2:05 PM (834 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. icon
    OP

Newcomer icon Member

United States
    I have been away from the scene for awhile and need a little help. I haven't touched my wii since 11/09. It has a mod chip which isn't a problem. I want to play a newer game (Disney Epic Mickey) and it wants to update. I am currently at 3.2U and I need to know what is the best way getting around the update. Thanks.

2. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    you can use starfall to patch system menu 3.2 to bypass updates or use a game loader such as Gecko OS. those are the easiest solutions.

3. icon
    OP

Newcomer icon Member

United States
    Thanks for the reply. While looking for starFall, I came across StartPatch. It seemed newer and more supportive. Any preference on which to use? Thanks again.

4. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Start patch will not work for system menu 3.2 If you wish to use it you must update your system to one of 4.x system menu versions.

5. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Use ModMii for Windows to update to 4.x. Just tell it that your Wii is virgin and it will give you a complete guide and all resources needed to get it up to date, and you should then install Priiloader to disable updates.

6. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

use modmii ^ but don't update sys menu

7. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    If you don't plan on updating your Wii, then GeckoOS is a good choice to launch retail games.
    You can also use some USBLoaders (neogamma, USBloaderGX, other?) with the "launch DVD" option.

If it's a burnt game, you can remove the update partition before burning it, using WUM (Wii Update Manager) : download the "NO" firmware if you don't have it out of the box, load the iso, press "Brick Block" to path the update partition with an old update partition (an empty one in fact).
    burn the iso, it won't ask for any update.

If you don't update your console, and try to play newer games, you may need to install the game's requested IOS first.
    - GeckoOS can do that for you if you use the unpatched game/iso.
    - you can open your game in wiiscrubber or Trucha sign, and extract the needed wad from the update partition. Use a wad manager to install them.
    - Use NUSD or ModMii to download the needed wad and install them with a wad manager
    - There's other way to extract wads too, but these 3 are the easiest.

If you don't have any problem with updating your Wii, just know that starting from 4.2 you can't launch imported region burnt games. (well, it was the case, I don't remember if it's still a problem), so updating to 4.1 is a good choice if you are still using your modchip as main source of playing backups.

Again, if you don't want to use your modchip or imported games, just follow any tutorial to update to 4.2 (Xflak's ModMii or xzxero's guide).
    I personally used xzxero tutorial on 3 Wiis successfully (3.2, 3.3 and 4.3)

8. icon
    OP

Newcomer icon Member

United States
    Thanks for all your replies. However, I'm a JACKASS. I do believe that the wii is on system menu 4.2U, my bad [​IMG]

How does this change things. Do I have to upgrade to 4.3 or can I just patch some IOSes. I do plan on continuing to use the mod chip, I don't have a desire to run region free stuff, I currently run mostly burned backups and someday may switch to usb loader. Thanks again.

9. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    stay in 4.2 as 4.3 doesn't have anything new (It's only harder to hack as you need an original game if your wii is still virgin).
    But if you already have the latest HBC (1.0.8) and already have IOS236 or other cIOS, then you should be fine updating to 4.3.
    Though, I don't suggest you to do it.

You should already have the needed IOS for recent games, so you only need a way to launch them.
    Either use GeckoOS or a backup loader (neogamma or usbloadergx do it for sure. I don't know about wiiflow and config loader).
    Though, USBloaderGX require the use of an USB drive to even start, were neogamma doesn't.

If you use backups, just remove the update partition first (with WUM), so you won't be prompted to update and can launch your games from the Game channel as usual.

You can also install Priiloader (same thing as Menu loader, startpatch and preloader, but for newer Wii) which runs before the Wii system menu and applys patch on the fly like "don't prompt for updates".
    I think there's a moded priiloader to run on IOS236. You should find in in modmii and xzxero stickied tutorials.