Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... i'm pretty new to PC gaming (i love my ps3
nayps3.gif
) and well, i have a couple things.

First off, i'm trying to install Steam on my almost new Toshiba Laptop running Windows 7 64 bit. I already have Starcraft on it so Steam really shouldn't be a problem but it is. I am able to download the installer, start to install it, and finish it all, except when i hit the finish button, it tried to update. The update fails because there's no steam-something-oranother.exe. I read on a forum that if you reboot your computer before you hit the Finish button, it'll fix the problem, but nothing has worked for me. Please someone help me!

Second!
smile.gif
So say i want to download Battlefield Bad COmpany 2 on this PC. Do i need Steam to play it? Do i need Steam to play it online?

Thirdly!!!
biggrin.gif
What absolutely necessary PC games should i DL??
smile.gif

Thanks to anyone who reads this and or responds!

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are currently 2 ways to buy BC2 online:

The first is through Steam. You buy it through the Steam program (Store area) or Steampowered.com. Either way, it'll be linked with your Steam ID and you'll need the Steam program to play it.

The second method it to purchase ot through EA through the EA store on EA.com. If you do this, EA will make you download the EA Download Manager program to download the game. Don't think you need it to play the game, just to download. If you buy the game retail, in stores, it goes off this method as well.

The only real difference between the two is that EA limits the amouby of times you can install the game to 10 times, whereas Steam gives you unlimited installs (as with almost all games on Steam, you can take your games with you wherever you go, as long as you can log into Steam).

dewie68

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aheh....
okay.. this is interesting news.... do you think if i buy it through ea store i can play online tho?

and anything on the Problem??

Feels Good Man

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
[M said:
artin]
There are currently 2 ways to buy BC2 online:

The first is through Steam. You buy it through the Steam program (Store area) or Steampowered.com. Either way, it'll be linked with your Steam ID and you'll need the Steam program to play it.

The second method it to purchase ot through EA through the EA store on EA.com. If you do this, EA will make you download the EA Download Manager program to download the game. Don't think you need it to play the game, just to download. If you buy the game retail, in stores, it goes off this method as well.

The only real difference between the two is that EA limits the amouby of times you can install the game to 10 times, whereas Steam gives you unlimited installs (as with almost all games on Steam, you can take your games with you wherever you go, as long as you can log into Steam).

Not 100% correct. You can install it and choose to either activate it online so you don't have to have the cd to play or play with the cd inserted. I believe it is around 10 but IIRC, that will reset after a certain period of time. And if it doesn't, you just have to call a number and tell them to reset the installs.

dewie68

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think ima shoot myself.... spent like an hour an a half straight trying to do this.... i went to that link and it did help a little but to no avail i i still lose. after installing, it starts to update but manages to tell me that steam.exe is there but isnt (literally)....im going to sleep..... if anyone can still help me.... i will give you all the love there is in the world...
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended