Help with softmodding WiiU please.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by LowKee84, Dec 17, 2016.

1. LowKee84
    OP

LowKee84 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2016
    Hello,

I have read the definitive guide to modding and I'm afraid to say it's a foreign language to me.

I've joined two irc servers to try get some help but have been unsuccessful. So far I've been told about haxchi, cold boot, rednand, been told I can't install games from 2gb SD card, been told I can do it from a VC DS game... Really overwhelmed ATM.

I'm just hoping for someone with a bit of patience that can walk me through it step by step and explain what's being done any why... Any takers?

I've got as far as adding 2 IP addresses to the DNS settings on the Wii U, to stop it from updating.

I have a WiiU, a laptop, phone and 2GB SD card fyi.

Not after anything fancy, just wanting to play back up games from a HDD, oh and saw something about being able to use ps4 controllers?

Thanks in advance.

2. Net-KILLER

Net-KILLER computer says no

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    in a pineapple under the sea
    Well you can't use rednand with a 2gb sd. And most of the games are larger then 2 gb so you can't install them either.

Which model of the Wiiu is it?

3. LowKee84
    OP

LowKee84 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2016
    Daft as this may sound, I googled how to tell which model I have.. it told me where the model number is, but not how I can use that to figure it out.

What is rednand, btw?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oh right, so it's black so should mean it's deluxe?

5.5.1 E

4. Net-KILLER

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Afaik the black is the 32gb one and the white the 8gb one. But I'm not sure if there are 32 gb white wiius out.

A rednand is a copy of your internal memory on your sd card. So the Wii system can run off your sd card and your internal memory doesn't get touched.

5. LowKee84
    OP

LowKee84 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2016
    What's that for? Make it run smoother or something?

Had a quick Google, just finds link on how to install it but doesn't explain it.

Found a link about 3ds rednand. So it copes the internal memory onto SD card and you run it from that, so if you fk something up, your not bricking your Wii U right?

6. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves

Just follow this:

https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki

bkifft likes this.
  7. lebrawurschd

lebrawurschd GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Well all you can do by now with youre sd is playing some small games vc and some emulators rednand is not possible you also could install some games to youre sysnand without having the safety of rednand

8. Ghassen-ga

Ghassen-ga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 21, 2016
    dude , the only solution you have would be to get a bigger Sd card (if u want to setup rednand or install usb games) , stop being cheap and manage to get one somehow.

9. LowKee84
    OP

LowKee84 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2016
    Thanks, bookmarked it and reading through it now.

Is it not even worth starting until I have a bigger sd card than? What size should I get?

10. LowKee84
    OP

LowKee84 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2016
    Text my brother, he has 16gb SD card. That suitable?

11. Net-KILLER

Oct 22, 2009
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Yes you can use it to install games < 16 gb and for a 8 gb WiiU rednand.
    Also it's enough for homebrew.

12. charlieb

charlieb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2016
    you can install to HDD, even with 8G model

AFAIK the 8/32GB is only an issue for rendand which he's not using.

I'm currently using a 128MB (yes MB!!) card in my 32GB console. all it had on it was haxchi/homebrew loader. Now Haxchi is installed only HBL so a couple of meg only :D

13. jbaggs

jbaggs Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2013
    United States
    This is probably the easiest to follow guide. Follow steps 0-3 (you do need to purchase a legit DS VC Game from the eshop in step 3).
    If you want nothing fancy and just want to play games from USB hard drive skip steps 4 and 5. Do not worry about rednand or coldboothax stuff. You don't need them
    Jump to step 6 for installing games to external usb. Get a bigger SD card so you can install games and you are good to go

14. lebrawurschd

Jan 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Or just skip haxchi its not necessary to boot a cfw you can compile youre own if you want to use sysnand or use mocha for rednand

15. jbaggs

jbaggs Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2013
    United States
    In the original post he stated he is overwhelmed and wants nothing fancy. He doesn't need rednand, he doesn't need custom firmware. Maybe down the road when more comfortable but if you want to install a game to external hdd and play that is the easiest fastest way.

16. lebrawurschd

Jan 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Thats true but haxchi only skips opening the Browser and load the exploit. Thats basicly all it does for buying the DS VC im also using HAXCHI and CBHC CF but its a personal question if you want to buy a ds vc for that or not.

The Point is he wont even be able to install anything except VCs and some small WIIU games to his external HDD or sysnand with his 2gb SD so the best and easiest way for now is.
    Getting Homebrew Launcher
    Homebrew Appstore
    Loadiine
    or if he really wants to install STUFF to sysnand wich is not recommed for beginners
    a FW image or Haxchi with CBHC. wich means getting or having a supported DS VC

17. LowKee84
    OP

LowKee84 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2016
    Hey you get me :P

I just got back from my brothers with a 16gb sd card.

So someone earlier on explained that rednand copies the internal memory, I assumed this was so you dont brick the Wii U?

Sysnand?

18. lebrawurschd

Jan 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    16gb SD for Rednand only works with the White WIIU if you have a white wii u go ahead and pm me ill help you if you want

19. LowKee84
    OP

LowKee84 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2016
    Black WiiU.

Ive done the exploit, can see all the the stuff from the starter pack I downloaded to the SD card... So now what? I understand I need a VC DS game to install haxchi. Haxchi just allows me to skip the going to loadiine step everytime I wanna use something, right?

20. lebrawurschd

Jan 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    basicly yes but haxchi also allows u to directly cooldboot into a custom firmware.

Now you need to go the browser boot homebrew booot a cfw play a game or boot homebrew again to install a game
    haxchi would make that easier just boot haxchi or better cooldboot directly into a fw and install and play games