Help with Puppy Linux!

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by CherrySkitty, Apr 13, 2011.

Apr 13, 2011

Help with Puppy Linux! by CherrySkitty at 5:50 PM (1,096 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. CherrySkitty
    OP

Member CherrySkitty GBAtemp Regular

Costa Rica
    ...O_O POST NUMBUH 101 YAY xD

So.. hi n_n. I recently burned a Puppy Linux Live DVD (lupu-525 kernel 2.6.33.2) and it's been working very well on my 512 RAM PC (I was using Windows 7 and I was sick of it...), also saving the session to the DVD every time I turn off the computer is great and allows me to save precious HD disk [​IMG]

I'm pretty happy with the results, my computer is faster than ever but there are some problems I haven't managed to fix by myself... Can you help me?

1. Sound.

I run the ALSA Sound Wizard and this is what I get.

-hda-intel nVidia Corporation MCP73 High Definition Audio (rev a1)
    -legacy Probe: legacy ISA (non-PnP) chips.
    usb-audio Override: USB Sound Device (huh?)
    aoa Override: Apple Onboard Audio. (WHAAAAT? Why is this here? I ran the wizard last night and I had my iPod nano connected, but not today and it still shows it! Is my iPod related to this thing appearing?)

Well, I try the Intel option and apparently, it's successfully configured. However, there's no sound coming from the speakers.
    And... when the system is supposed to give me a "beep", like when I try to erase something in a text box and there's no text, there's sound coming from the back of the PC. Also, when I send or receive a message via Pidgin, there's this beep too. I can disable it, but... like what the heck?

2. Resolution.

I just wanna run Puppy on 1600 x 900. That's all, and when I run the xorgwizard thingy it doesn't give me the option of running X with that resolution. So I end up with 2 black bars e_e..

3. Boot time.

Well... I don't really have any issues with it, Win 7 is worse in most of cases, but everytime I save my session to the DVD, it tries to like load every session when booting. Say, I've saved 3 times, and now it loads the save folder 3 times... Is there any workaround for this? Can I somehow skip loading the previous saves? It's not a big problem right now, but what about my 20th boot? It's going to take A LOT of time >_>

4. Random crashes?

This is actually the 3rd time I'm writing this up, since the first time I was running the ALSA Sound Wizard and suddenly my computer crashed and I had to restart it. Not even the mouse was responding. I was using Pidgin too.

Well, that's it, help me pleaseeeeee!
    Also, thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    -hda-intel nVidia Corporation MCP73 High Definition Audio (rev a1) I imagine is what you want- the only real advice beyond the obvious check volume controls (they are quite often held low at first) is this particular command has issues if you do not select the "save for next boot" or whatever it is called even if you do not care about it.

The other options are just extra options for custom hardware that might not play nice with more conventional methods (apple being a good example of this).

2) Yeah xorgwizard is a bit limited and troubled by some widescreen resolutions, I am not sure where/what the current version uses (it appears to be /etc/X11/xorg.conf although I am not 100%) or if there is a custom version but originally if you went to the xorg.conf file and you could edit the things by hand. annoying certainly but it gets the job done. You will want to restart X when done (should be available from the shutdown options).

3)When it boots you probably get a bunch of options (on the current ones it will show you a nice image of a puppy)

The command is something along the lines of

"puppy pfix=ram"

This will dodge checks although that command above will stop everything rather than the last few. There might be a - frankly though most people use a USB drive if they are going to use anything (DVDs tend not to write several times in a row).

4) Random crashes- so many things can cause this. Next time it happens see if ctrl, alt and one of the earlier F keys will get you somewhere (it is something of a legacy thing but it shifts to another console).

3. CherrySkitty
    OP

Costa Rica
    Okay! But IIRC I maximized the volume controls... And do you know about the beep coming from the back of the PC?

Also, would you recommend installing it on my hard drive so that I have more RAM to.. maybe avoid crashes? =/ Is that what they call a "frugal install"?

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Puppy linux sometimes behaves oddly when installed to the hard drive (it is designed to be a live CD but I have not done it for a while so I would take that with a pinch of salt. A frugal install is an odd way of doing things- it works like a liveCD does but instead of using a CD it loads from the hard drive like a CD would (extract the file to ram) rather than the more conventional install that will load files off the hard drive- they are aimed at people that would want a half functional operating system (as a recovery system or something) but without the hassle of setting up lots partitions.
    I would be surprised if it is crashing due to lack of ram- linux is very stable and puppy (at least stock versions) does not have much of anything that might make it crash (thinking some of the fun extras or kernel extensions/binary graphics card drivers). In fact I would sooner point the finger at faulty hardware in this case.

The beep "from the back of the machine" sounds like the internal speaker- somewhat rare these days (certainly all of the last few machines I built lack them) and usually left disconnected if not but those that have them have a small little speaker that is capable maybe of playing back a midi file but these days is relegated to beeps when a machine errors or for the handful of programs that see fit to use them.

5. CherrySkitty
    OP

Costa Rica
    I managed to get the resolution at 1600 x 900 by downloading nVidia's latest drivers (I think the name was nVidia pet or something like that) but it crashes when running Opera. Also I tried to install Wine and I didn't had Opera in the background, and it crashed as well.

What's the matter? >.>

BTW I'm going to try to download the sound drivers.