Hacking Help with possibe brickage

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i got my case replacement for my ds phat yesterday and i went ahead and replaced
ive done some research before and the whole process went very smooth
for some reason whoever, my ds wont turn on fully
whenever i turn on the power, the bottom screen flashes briefly(the top screen doesnt) while the battery is green and then it turns itself off
so i opened it up again and i reconnected everything properly but it hasnt had any effect...
i tried leaving it alone, but nothing happened and i tried turning it on whilst plugged into the charger, with a ds game, with a gba game, with flashcards
but nothing helps..
my only guess at the moment is either a completely brickage(i really hope not) or the bottom to top wire somehow got messed up.
my only guess as to what went wrong would be static electricity and im am pretty sure the the first thing i touched was that wire
if the wire theory holds up, i still face another dilemma..
how will i know if the top screen isnt messed up as well?
any suggestions would be apreciated except for "buy a lite" since that isnt an option for me and i prefer my phat anyways
also, where can i get that wire from?

thanks for any help

calvin_0

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
sent it to a game shop....for repair....i'm certain you already void the warrenty if your warrenty still alive.

btw the golden rule of opening an electoric devices is to ground your self...by touching some metal...did you done that? if not then the static must have gotten into your DS.

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
um, i dont think you could have bricked it because firmware updates are software ect, but you may have had static electricity jump onto a wire leading to the flash drive "corrupting" the firmware

anyway, try using flashme if possible, if you cant, check all the wires ect.

if it still doesnt work, try the swap flash chip method thing

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
im sorry, i live in egypt.. that wont work
could you please some more constructive advice?
i dont feel like hearing (reading) any "ï told you so's" or
your messed up

i know i did, i want to know how to fix it

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i cant use flashme since my ds wont stay on long enough
it just merely flashes for a moment(bottom screen) and then it turns itself off

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The bottom screen is flashing, so I'm assuming the top screen isn't. This means that the top screen either is not connected, or one of the ribbons is disconnected. If both screens flash, the microphone, BIOS or wifi cable is disconnected. When the power LED turns on, the system checks that all components are gogo, and turns off when it isn't.

Check the top screen connection again. Usually when the LED turns on, the fuse has not blown, so you can rule that one out. You did nothing to the SL1 while the DS was on, so firmware couldn't have been modified. My guess is a connection with the top screen, either damage to the screen itself (usually would still boot), or a damaged or loose ribbon cable which is detected as having no screen there at all.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i did
the orange light for charging comes on but again, the ds wont stay on
i really do think the top screen power wire thingey is broken and if no on can prove otherwise im going to buy another one tomorrow

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
nds-scc.jpg

Thats the wire
i cant make a picture myself since my phone is lost somewhere and my aunt has my digital camera (thieving @#^!&)

btw 4saken
thanks for your post, it told me almost everything i needed to know and was extremely helpful
im no withouit doubt that its the wire which is messed up so im going to order a new one
thanks again

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd suggest really, really checking the connections on the cable before ordering a new one. From what this guy says it sounds rather fiddly to get it in right, he mentions he had to re-dismantle his DS before getting the screen cable locked in properly.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i did....
three times

the bottom one is the worst really but im sure i got it perfectly right
i think i messed up the wire by not putting it through that little nook so it ended up touching itself and shorting out when i turned on the power
i noticed that little nook on the bottom part the second time i opened up my ds
dry.gif

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
\FIXED IT
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

it turns out that the bottom wire wasnt entered in properly.
just one last stab at it because i was going to order one later that evening.
i forced it much harder than usual and suddenly it goes in way further than it ever went!!!
UNBELIEVABLE
my new case is looking good now, almost like getting a lite

thanks fr all your help guys

Riffman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know the following info will be useless to you (as you've already fixed your problem), but anyhow:

I damaged my actual cable, yet the NDS still worked fine - I just had no top display
cry.gif

The re-insertion of the cables is very deceiving. i.e. You think they are in all the way, but they are not. If only I had the hindsight to take photo's of the cables before I disconnected them - would've saved alot of trouble.

Anyhow, mine's all good now, & so is your's, so Cheers !
grog.gif

.::5pYd3r::.

Viva La Pizza
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i got my case replacement for my ds phat yesterday and i went ahead and replaced
ive done some research before and the whole process went very smooth
for some reason whoever, my ds wont turn on fully
whenever i turn on the power, the bottom screen flashes briefly(the top screen doesnt) while the battery is green and then it turns itself off
so i opened it up again and i reconnected everything properly but it hasnt had any effect...
i tried leaving it alone, but nothing happened and i tried turning it on whilst plugged into the charger, with a ds game, with a gba game, with flashcards
but nothing helps..
my only guess at the moment is either a completely brickage(i really hope not) or the bottom to top wire somehow got messed up.
my only guess as to what went wrong would be static electricity and im am pretty sure the the first thing i touched was that wire
if the wire theory holds up, i still face another dilemma..
how will i know if the top screen isnt messed up as well?
any suggestions would be apreciated except for "buy a lite" since that isnt an option for me and i prefer my phat anyways
also, where can i get that wire from?

thanks for any help
That is exactly what happens to my cousin's ds Phat which has been snapped in half totally. So maybe the connectors between the top and bottom are stuffed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    dualbooth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Yeah, I'd recommend having another OS just in-case you want to play games.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least Linux doesn't contain spyware than what Windows has.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, cuz of lag?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, No. Whenever you use the internet on Windows, Microsoft collects personal data and installs bloatware that isn't necessarily needed, such as Edge.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Speaking of which
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    I recall @impeeza mentioned some trick about not having bloatware when installing windows where you set up your country to "world" or smh like that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yes, you can debloat the operating system, but in some cases for me it just reinstalls them.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    I also recall my brother downloded a "non bloated" version of windows 11 on his pc
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Why debloat? Why not embrace and enjoy my bloat?" - Gates
    +3
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    @Xdqwerty yes, when you are installing Windows on the first steps you are asked for your current location, you MUST to select «international» so no bloatware is installed, because the bloatware is location based. if this night I have some time I will setup a VM and take screenshots.
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    User Gates "Disliked" your answer.
    +3
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Damn cleaned up 348GB's of crap I wasn't using with that lol
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But can it completely remove RealPlayer? Lol jk
    +2
    I remember at one point it being pretty much labeled as malware lol
    I think my favorite one was that dancing purple gorilla... I uninstalled that thing from sooo many machine people would be like "Why is my computer so slow?" lol because this thing is using like 30% of your system resources.....
    This one lady... her son kept installing Kazaa... OK no problem the issue is he would download DBZ movies and they where amazing usually like 2-8KB in size lol can't remember how many times I had to format and reinstall windows over his stupidity. I even explained to him about file sizes multiple times...
    yeah Bonzi buddy was malware sort of... It was borderline lol
    At minimum it was nothing anyone should have ever installed lol
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: At minimum it was nothing anyone should have ever installed lol +1