Help with PictoDS please

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Dalrint, Sep 18, 2008.

Sep 18, 2008

Help with PictoDS please by Dalrint at 10:50 AM (1,664 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Dalrint
    OP

Newcomer Dalrint Advanced Member

United States
    Whenever I try to convert a compressed file (cbr, rar and the like) it stops immediately and says 'Unrar could not extract '.

These are valid files, I've tested them with a cbr reader and just in winrar, and they can be opened fine. I even tried pointing pictoDS at the unrar.exe inside my actual winrar folder and that didn't work either...

I can get folders to convert, however.

While I'm asking questions, why are the CBDS files so much bigger than the original images? If I have a folder with 2 megs of images in it, when I make it into a CBDS file it's 6 megs. If it has 18 megs of images in it, when I make it into a CBDS it is 32 megs...

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Perhaps it's actually a ZIP file renamed to *.rar or *.cbr. This can cause PicToDS to freeze as it tries to unRAR a non-RAR file. The images could also be in too many folders within the RAR file, which I've heard can also give errors. Otherwise just extract the images before you convert them.

PicToDS basically makes 3 copies of every image: thumbnail, preview, and full-size. Nevertheless, I've never seen that big of a size increase. I've got a comic here that's 48 MB by itself and 19 MB when converted at relatively high quality settings. You can try messing with the quality settings if you want, but to be honest I'm not sure why you're getting such huge filesizes as output.

3. Dalrint
    OP

Newcomer Dalrint Advanced Member

United States
    I can't figure it out either.

As an example, I have a folder of comics (from a webcomic, basic strip black and white comics) that's 2.05 megs. When I put the folder into pictoDS and create the CBDS file, the file it creates is 6.38 megs.

I tried it with another folder (same style of comic but now color and more of them) the folder is 18.6 megs, and when picto creates the CBDS file, that file is 31.8 megs.

Lowering the quality of the thumbnail and preview only knocks a meg or two off here and there, and lowering the quality of the regular picture doesn't lower the size at all...