Help with PC Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by AceWarhead, Feb 7, 2012.

1. AceWarhead
    OP

AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

Apr 9, 2011
    United States
    So my computers really old and outdated. I need to upgrade some stuff.
    Here are my specs:
    [​IMG]
    Can you guys recommend anything? I want to be able to play games such as Skyrim, Tribes: Ascend, and TF2( at a better speed).
    Thanks. Looking to spend lees than $220.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Honestly if you want to play Skyrim and the like you'll probably want to build a whole new PC yourself. Keep your current case and HD, of course, but buy a new motherboard that supports DDR3 RAM, buy at atleast 4GB of RAM, buy a newer processor (at least Dual Core and 2.8ghz or higher) and a new graphics card (Geforce 200 series and up). You could probably do all of this for about...$300-$400 if you can find good deals around Newegg. I built myself a fairly decent gaming PC for a little less than $400, so this shouldn't be too hard. I'd also suggest buying at least a 600w+ PSU if yours isn't already above 400w.

3. jarejare3

jarejare3 PROFILE CHANGE!

Dec 8, 2010
    Malaysia
    Kuala lumpur?
    I did a search on google and apparently your motherboard Can only support 2 gb of ram.
    You can upgrade the processor to a better one, but i don't really know which one, athlon 64 x2 6400+
    ​

EDIT: but yeah mostly it's your motherboard blocking you... you will need to get yourself some new gig that support ddr3 ram and a better processor, Get a good graphics card, etc.

EDIT@: @supergamr232 @Pinkie232 Why do you always ninja'd me T_T, HOW YOU DO THAT EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!

4. Magsor

Magsor I am watching you

Dec 1, 2010
    Canada
    Amos
    A penny spent on your rig is a penny not well spent.
    I have a system comparable as yours and my advice is to switch back to windows XP you will get a performance increase on TF2.
    You do what you want its your money but id say consoles are cheaper you can be playing skyrim for lees than 220$.

5. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Oh god that hard drive.
    My anime folder would be taking up a sizeable chunk of that alone...

Anyway, Pinkie pretty much covered everything useful to say.

6. AceWarhead
    OP

AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

Apr 9, 2011
    United States
    My dad and I built all of this from scratch back in 2006. It was pretty rad back then.
    Any recommendations for a good Motherboard?

7. jarejare3

jarejare3 PROFILE CHANGE!

Dec 8, 2010
    Malaysia
    Kuala lumpur?
    Any motherboard that support the latest Ram,Core and card will do.

8. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    It really depends on the CPU you'll be getting. Pick out a CPU and then look for a motherboard. For CPU's, Intel i3, i5, or i7 would all be great for a CPU for the next few years. I personally have a dual core i3 running at around 3.1 ghz and it will run anything. The thing you should really be looking for is a newer GPU and better RAM.

9. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Someone please bring up the AMD Fusion option. It's better for those with very limited budgets.