Hardware Help with new Wii

Fahrenheit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, my launch wii is about to give up the ghost. I'm getting all sorts of issues and the disc drive is making the most horrible sounds. I want to pick up a new wii, one of the black ones. I want one with the gamecube support. How can I know it does before buying (buying it online like everything else I buy). Also whats the best way to get HBC on there? Its been so long since I hacked my wii I forget everything! I remember having to do something special get my hard drive loader to have a channel on the home screen, how does it work again?

Also anyone know of a hard drive enclose that has an auto on/off function that works with wii?

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
All ordinary Wiis (not the new ones, "family edition") can play GC games.
However, NO black (or red) Wii can play backup discs.

If you buy a brand new Wii it most certainly comes with SM 4.3.
The fastest and easiest way to hack a Wii nowadays is by using ModMii.

Pretty much all 2.5" externals is onlky powered by USB, and therefore turns off with the Wii (unless you got the wii in idle mode, in which case I think theres still power in the USB slots).

Fahrenheit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All ordinary Wiis (not the new ones, "family edition") can play GC games.
However, NO black (or red) Wii can play backup discs.

If you buy a brand new Wii it most certainly comes with SM 4.3.
The fastest and easiest way to hack a Wii nowadays is by using ModMii.

Pretty much all 2.5" externals is onlky powered by USB, and therefore turns off with the Wii (unless you got the wii in idle mode, in which case I think theres still power in the USB slots).

Thanks backup disks is not a problem for me. I normally rip original disk to the hard drive. I've used a USB drive before and got random crashes in game. That might of been just a crappy drive tough.

And to just clear it up. Currently the only wii that does not have gamecube support is the one that comes bundled with New Super Mario Bros right?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And to just clear it up. Currently the only wii that does not have gamecube support is the one that comes bundled with New Super Mario Bros right?

No there are others, like a blue one Walmart was selling.

I think the way people say to tell at a glance is if it's vertical in a stand on the box it's the old GC compatible ones and if it''s horizontal, it's the new, gimped version.

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually I have no idea how its bundled. But its the horizontal model thats the new one (the image on the box shows a Wii in horizontal position, rather than the normal vertical-in-its-stand one)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro