Help with N64 emulation on a fairly low end machine.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by FireEmblemGuy, Mar 21, 2012.

1. FireEmblemGuy
    OP

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    I'll admit I've been out of the N64 loop for a while, and I can't for the life of me make this work.

I'm trying to set up PJ64 to play decently on a sub-notebook (1.3Ghz Pentium dual-core, Intel GMA 4500MHD, 4GB RAM). Mario Kart 64 plays fine at close to an even 60FPS, but even cranking the resolution down to 320x240 with the default plugin, I can't get more than 42-50FPS on Cruis'n World or Super Smash Bros (55 if there's only two characters on screen), and even the menus in Turok 3 cause the framerate to drop down to 25-30 FPS. Is there some guide to how to optimize PJ64, or is a better emulator available yet? I don't recall having this kind of trouble on my old (and admittedly faster) laptop.

2. Presto99

Member Presto99 You slammin, bro?

United States
    I've read that UltraHLE is designed for slow computers, and could run N64 games on computers even back in the N64 era. I don't know if it's updated or not still though...

3. FireEmblemGuy
    OP

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Seems to have mostly been a plugin configuration problem. Now I just wish I had a laptop that could handle hi-res texture packs...