Help with Gamecube : Cannot boot games

Discussion in 'Nintendo GameCube' started by Madao64, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Madao64
    OP

Madao64 Really Useless Old man

Dec 4, 2014
    Senegal
    South of the equator
    Alright, after about 3 years of searching for info, I'd figure it'd be best to ask this here.

So, I have a Gamecube, and it worked well for a number of years, and then one day it refuses to boot any game at all.

The gist is that the Gamecube can boot up fine, I can go around the boot menu and access the memory card and calendar etc. But the moment I place in a disc and attempt to play it, the dreaded "An error has occurred. Turn the Zpower OFF, and check the NINTENDO GAMECUBE Instruction Booklet for further instructions" message pops up.

I'm at wits end, with every google search I've done pointing to dust clearing in the Gamecube, which I've been unable to do due to the inability to purchase things from ebay till now.

Please give me ideas on what could be going wrong with this old friend of mine! I'm really missing this old chap. ;_;

P.S.
    I'm pretty sure it ain't the discs, what not with the newest game not loading either. Mind you, said newest game was fresh outta shrink wrap with no scratches.

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Insecure

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Maybe the disk drive leans is dead?

3. Madao64
    OP

Dec 4, 2014
    Senegal
    South of the equator
    Could be man, but the lasers just don't up and die like that... do they?

Either way, I have to wait for the gamebit I just ordered to come in before I can check if it's the laser not having enough power or completely dead. If it's the latter, I'm screwed. I can't solder.
    ;_;

Also, I've no idea how to tell, what not with everyone addressing different error codes and none of them about the error I got.

Though it could be the laser and not the drive, considering I heard the motor spin when I inserted the disc...

Last edited by Madao64, Dec 18, 2015
  4. 59672

59672 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Sounds like laser is dead, happened to my launch model back in 2005. It connects with a ribbon cable so you don't need to solder it or anything. To be honest though, it's probably easier easier for you and not that much more expensive to just grab a used one, or a used wii depending on what you care about.

5. Madao64
    OP

Dec 4, 2014
    Senegal
    South of the equator
    A dead laser, huh...... you sure?
    ;_;
    Ah well, I can still wait till next year, since my gamebits will be coming in by then so I can clear the dust and check the laser....
    orz

6. RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    No need to buy something at Ebay. All you need is this:

qtip.jpg

I think they call it Q-tip in English (not sure). It's the thing people use to clear the inside of their ears.

Rub it gently on the lens. Rub it absolutely dry, very delically and making circular movements. After that try playing a game... If it doesn't work you might need a replacements lens.

7. Madao64
    OP

Dec 4, 2014
    Senegal
    South of the equator
    I kinda meant that I had to clean out the thing since the insides and the fan are covered in dust, but your suggestion helps. Thanks.

8. Jack_Sparrow

Jack_Sparrow Ruthless Pirate

Banned
    Nov 17, 2015
    United States
    The Black Pearl
    Yep we call it a Q-Tip, but you DO NOT use it to clean the inside of your ears! It Explicitly says not to do that on the box!

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  9. RodrigoDavy

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Yeah, I know it's not supposed to be used like that. One time the cotton fell inside my ear, it was annoying me so much that I had to go to hospital to get it removed... :(

10. Jack_Sparrow

Jack_Sparrow Ruthless Pirate

Banned
    Nov 17, 2015
    United States
    The Black Pearl
    Yikes.

11. Madao64
    OP

Dec 4, 2014
    Senegal
    South of the equator
    Wait, we weren't supposed to? It's common knowledge here that you can though....

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  12. RodrigoDavy

Feb 9, 2011
    Brazil
    It's dangerous to clean your ears with this every day. But I do this like once a month since my ears get very waxy otherwise.

13. Drud1995

Drud1995 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    United States
    Magicant
    Use a multimeter and reduce the resistance on the laser's potentiometer to about 200 ohms and see if that fixes it. If that doesn't work, it is still cheaper to get a new laser on eBay for $8 than to buy a new console for $30 or so!