Hacking HELP with G6 Lite emulators! Please...

jmos1277

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I received my G6 Lite a few weeks ago, but just got around to playing around with different ROMs. Here's my experiences, maybe others can help me out. I'm new to this whole thing, so bear with me.

NDS - Obviously, these work great.

GBA - Again, these work great, no problems here.

NES - I copy these ROMs over using the U-disk manager, and they work okay. My only complaint is that the screen on the DS seems to flicker when I play these ROMs. Is there some setting that I'm missing to make these work better?

Super NES - Haven't heard of anyone getting these to work. I tried some things myself, but since I don't know what I'm doing, I couldn't get them to work.

Sega Master System - Copied these over with the G6 U-disk manager with the default settings. I get garbled graphics. :-(

Genesis - I can't quite figure out how to get Picodrive working. I tried, a lot of different things, but nothing worked. Has anyone gotten picodrive working with the G6? If so, how? Where do you put the emulator? Do you need both the .nds and the .nds.gba files? Should I copy it over with the U-disk manager or just manually? Where should I put the ROM files? How should I run the emulator once it's on my DS?

Turbo GrafX 16 - I copied these over with the U-disk manager, but they didn't work. The screen flickers a few times and then goes black.

ScummVM - I followed the procedure on the ScummVM web site and used the "a" version of the emulator. I created the zip file using the "No compression" (-0) flag. I ran the .bat file, and tried copying the resulting file over using both the U-disk manager and manually. Neither worked. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks for any help.

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Damn big help thread right before I wanted to crash

NES, either compile your roms and use POCKETNES or use nesDS
PocketNES is godlike to most but is a GBA file so you can't use the whole screen of your DS. Also smaller resolution means scrunched sprites making megaman look funny. nesDS is a DS file which means YEA Megaman looks NORMAL and unscrunched however there is no save support for this and it hasn't been updated in forever. God I wish an emulator would run Punch Out properly.... Anyway, either of those two files emulators require you to compile all your NES roms before you copy them over to the G6. The compiler is included with the downloads.

Okay SNES games you have: SnezziDSv024 and snesDS.... I haven't messed with either but Snezzi says
QUOTE said:
As at 28 May 2006, the following games are known to be working fairly well:
- Castlevania X
- Super Castlevania 4 (no mode 7 graphics yet)
- Gradius 3
- Megaman X
- Megaman 7
- Darius Twin
- Super Mario World (some garbled/missing graphics)
- SUper Mario All-Stars (Super Mario Bro, The Lost Worlds)
- Kirby's Avalanche (some garbled graphics)
- Tetris Attack

Again Compile with these tools before copying over. You want to use real emulator tools vs prepacked as the real emulator tools are often updated more. Oh and I copy my emulator/game files without using the software and create my own save file if need be. That's about all the info I have right now man sorry. Good luck!

jmos1277

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tips HC.

I like the idea of my graphics not being smushed. I think I'll try out the nesDS. If it works as is, who cares if it isn't updated very oftern ;-)

jmos1277

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also need help with Picodrive, but for supercard. I can't find a tutorial on the net anywhere!!!

Neither could I. Since more people are going to start getting their G6's soon, I'd recommend that we try to compile all the answers into this thread, and then we can put together a nice FAQ that can get stickied.

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
while we're on the topic, anything for arcade/neogeo?
or just anyway I can get some metal slug goodness assuming the ds lite hardware can handle it?

TM_Sephiroth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I would like to know If Snezzi it's active?( It has updates...)
What I really want to know It if DS has the "capacity" to run SNES 100% perfect??(no "bad" graphics, all sounds, normal game-speed, etc)

And, how well runs these games:(If don't run well, one day will run?)
Megaman 7/x/x2/x3
Chrono Trigger
Super Metroid

Thanks,
TM_Sephiroth

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Those particular games you listed run pretty crap atm what im aware of. Of those the MM series run the best (but with major slowdowns).

Snezzi is very active and has impressed me alot by it's performance updates these past weeks.

Chrono trigger has been 'functional' to a somewhat level and I think the games will one day at least be at 90% runable for the nds. Maybe in a halfyear-year?

ceevee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ScummVM - I followed the procedure on the ScummVM web site and used the "a" version of the emulator.  I created the zip file using the "No compression" (-0) flag.  I ran the .bat file, and tried copying the resulting file over using both the U-disk manager and manually.  Neither worked.  Anyone have any tips?

Thanks for any help.
After you get the ds.gba file, rename the file extension to .nds. So the file should look like 'scummvm-a-withdata.nds'

Copy using U-disk manager as NDS game. Run as NDS game.

jmos1277

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ScummVM - I followed the procedure on the ScummVM web site and used the "a" version of the emulator.  I created the zip file using the "No compression" (-0) flag.  I ran the .bat file, and tried copying the resulting file over using both the U-disk manager and manually.  Neither worked.  Anyone have any tips?

Thanks for any help.

After you get the ds.gba file, rename the file extension to .nds. So the file should look like 'scummvm-a-withdata.nds'

Copy using U-disk manager as NDS game. Run as NDS game.

Thanks for the tip ceevee. This got me closer, but still not quite all the way there. With the new name, I can now load ScummVM on my DS Lite. However, it doesn't see any of the games that I put on there. Am I using the right option (-0) when zipping? This is the only thing that I can think of ...

Any more tips?

jmos1277

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I have gotten SMS ROMs working. For some reason the DrSMS emulator that is embedded in the U-disk manager didn't work for me. However, I took HC's suggestions and made my own ROMs images using SMSAdvance and these worked great.

Thanks HC.

ceevee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tip ceevee. This got me closer, but still not quite all the way there. With the new name, I can now load ScummVM on my DS Lite. However, it doesn't see any of the games that I put on there. Am I using the right option (-0) when zipping? This is the only thing that I can think of ...

Any more tips?
Just wanna make sure...
1. Create folders for each game.
2. Zip with no compression.
3. Name zip file scummdata-a.zip
4. Run bat.
5. Rename file extension that just got created to .nds
6. Copy as NDS game using U-Disk manager
7. Run scummvm-a-widthdata.nds from NDS game menu, not folder/card menu
8. Add your games.
9. Start a game.

Also try using the non-talkie versions of whatever scumm game you're using. Go here: http://www.scummvm.org/documentation.php to find out which files are needed for each game & check the MD5 checksums to see if you have the correct file versions.

kid sampson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for compiling the nes games with nesds or pocketnes for the gba, I've not been able to get either to work with the g6 lite chinese version. Pocketnes, after compiled, would cause the G6 pc software to crash when attempting to transfer. Nesds was recognized as a ds game in the menu, even with a mario icon on the game select screen, but resulted in two white screens when loaded.

Has anyone sucessfully compiled either of these two and gotten them working with the g6 lite? If so, how?

HugeCock

Oh My....
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dont use the software just drag and drop the .nds file. Then in The G6 Loader go to my card (top right corner) from there run the file without a header.

kid sampson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried dragging and dropping the file and running it from the card, but am still getting the white screens upon loading. For those offering advice, is this working on a G6 lite for you? If so, please humor me and offer some instructions about how to go about compiling the file. I used the compiler that came with nesds download. Thanks. One thing I didn't do is make seperate folders for the nes files, nor were the files zipped.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds