Hacking Translation Help with fonts

Gertram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Latvia
Hey, guys! I want to translate into my native language a visual novel of the Diabolik Lovers: Haunted Dark Bridal for psp. I know to use hkki for this. However, I ran into difficulties. When replacing Japanese text with any other game, it stops working. I think it has something to do with fonts. However, they are in a non-standard format and I cannot understand it. Who can help me? Font file below

Attachments

• font.zip
    665.3 KB · Views: 94

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"When replacing Japanese text with any other game, it stops working"
As in crashes or just displays blank?

How are you replacing text? Games don't necessarily use the same encodings that 99% of computing uses and often do completely their own thing. This changed somewhat with the DS, PSP and contemporaries where they sort of half used some common encodings ( http://rikai.com/library/kanjitables/kanji_codes.sjis.shtml being one of the more common, though usually lacking the ASCII/unicode parts for normal English that the official standard supports) but custom was still common as you like.

The job of the hacker is then to figure out what the game has and then whether they can make it work with that, or will have to add new characters to the font (replacement is usually easier) or more radically tweak the text engine (might do an 8 bit conversion, as well as things like variable width fonts).

Gertram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Latvia
Thanks for the quick response. I tried to use hkki to replace Japanese characters with Russian ones, but this resulted in the game not starting. Now I have tried replacing with hex-editor Japanese characters with English and Russian. However, only English characters are displayed and Russian characters are displayed as void. Perhaps there are any programs similar to HKKI? Perhaps this game uses a special way of specifying the font (I have not found anything similar yet).

Attachments

• Скриншот 14-04-2021 191637.jpg
    Скриншот 14-04-2021 191637.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited by Gertram,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When you say using a hex editor to replace characters what did you do? It is rare anything useful will happen in a hex editor you did not first use a table for.

Game breaking when you edit the font means something got corrupted somewhere in this. I usually suspect compression but if it is a font that has size values encoded then that changes things.

Gertram

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Latvia
Hmm, I just found a string of Japanese characters in a hex editor and replaced it with a string of English characters, the same length, and in the same shift-jis encoding. And in the next sentence I did the same only for the chain in Russian. May be this font Maybe the font in this game does not support Russian characters?Hmm

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM