moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi,

I have a standard EZ FLash V flash cart. I need to know how to update to the latest stable kernel. I'm just unsure of the process, as the last kernel I had for the EZV was the one that was released around the same time as Phantom Hourglass. I don't know what version kernel I have at the moment, so how do I find that out?

Also I understand that folder names are different for the new kernel, such as moonshell now being mnshl or something like that. May be I got it confused. THe kernel I used also required you to download a savelist, so that the ROMs would save correctly. Is this still the case with the latest stable release?

Is there any thing else I Should be made aware of? Also will I be able to carry over my saves to this new kernel, and will I have to format the microsd before installing the new kernel?

Thanks in advance

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
US release of the Phantom Hourglass was late September 2007 as I recall.
Update procedure in that case:
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=...789&p=54677

Latest stable is 1.86:
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12953

Beta (and they do mean beta) is more or less two lines.
1.8x and 1.90 beta can be grabbed from the forum:
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewforum.php?f=16 Have a read about them there. I would suggest the stable branch for now unless you really want the extras

Savelist, people apparently did not like it so that went a few versions back. Now saves are written directly to the microSD. Most new games work simply copying them over but fixes for the non working games and the extra features like soft reset and cheats are controlled by the resetsp.bin (updated about once a week or quicker if necessary). The format was changed so if you are using one with the resetsp.bin you can not simply update it.
I know it is now going for you but there is an automatic savelist generation tool now the method has been discontinued:
http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12923

Saves, should be compatible still although you may need to pad them:
http://www.shunyweb.info/
The EZ5 now uses the RAW 512 kilobyte format used by the R4 and just about everything else.

Format the microSD. People tend to use FAT16 these days (although FAT32 should still work). Up to you really.
I would, if only to make sure nothing conflicts. Naturally you will want to grab your saves beforehand.

"stuff to know". The EZTeam redid the 3 in 1 support although it is limited to the beta line for now. Basically you can not use 1024kbit saves (most notably the main pokemon series) if you load the rom to the PSRAM, loading to the NOR is fine.
Other than that read the faqs/guides (I did a sort of minifaq/intro in my review of the EZ5 plus).
The EZTeam made a new skinning tool able to change just about everything in the loader.

sekhu

moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
thanks for the comprehensive response FAST6191.

I've formatted my sd cards. So they're both blank. What's the next step? Do I just copy the update to the root of my SD, and then update and it will create all the required files and directories?

I'm also having trouble understanding the new set up, as I believe there is something called reset.bin, a kernel and something called the bootloader. So is that three files needed at the root of the sd card

thanks

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
the update aka bootloader aka bootstrap.
The cart has a small memory section that controls various aspects and low level stuff with the cart. This is slightly more complex procedure from the first link, you do this only once (unless there is another update at some point in the future). After it is done you do not need the files anymore.

This is what the EZTeam used to stop the EZ5 FPGA to stop acting like the memory sections used in DS carts (the savelist era) and instead save directly to the memory card (note for others the EZ5 plus lacks the ability to do this so you can not ever use it in such a way).

The kernel
This is the moonshell based program the end user sees and uses to load stuff with. This is what is usually updated and it resides on the memory card.
You normally just have to extract the download to the memory card but on rare occasion "updates" are issued where you extract a loader as usual and then extract the update over the old files and replace them as necessary (this is rare though).
Note you can skin this and there is a special skinning tool you can use to change the locations of various buttons, more on this here:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=102701

resetsp.bin
This is essentially a list of information on the roms available used by the EZ5 to allow soft reset, cheats and similar (real time save, text reader and what have you) to work. The format is unknown to others at this time but it contains information about hooking the roms, what memory sections are good.....).
It also carries information about any fixes needed by the game although most games work "out of the box" (the updates are usually just additions to the soft reset rather than fixes for games).
Updates are as said about once a week or sooner if needs be.

sekhu

moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the info FAST6191.

So basically I put the kernel on to my microsd, place that into my ezflash v, run it with some special command and it will then update the ezflash cart. Reset.bin I copy over on a weekly basis.

Will updating the kernel automatically generate the folders which contain games, video, music etc or is it a simple case of just putting all my games in the root dir like with the kernel? Also do I need the bootloader too, if so is it bootloader>kernal>resetsp.bin in that order? What version of the bootloader do i need?

Thanks

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some like to make saves for their games but they will be automatically made if the need to be.

What names/directories you can use are only limited by the FAT system you are using which is far outside what you would use for a flash cart (a search for FAT16 or FAT32 limitations will bring it up if you are especially curious).
If you want you can stick it all on the root though.

You do not have to copy the resetsp.bin every week, it is there mainly for cheats and soft reset.
Game fixes tend to be for the likes of final fantasy crystal chronicles and dragon quest (few and far between).

To answer your question.
Your current setup is quite old so you will need to update the bootloader first. Instructions in the links above. Once this is done you can delete the files used to do it.

You can then copy the loader files across to the microSD you will be using (naturally you will have to repeat it for every other microSD you plan to use).

The loader comes with a resetsp.bin (which is usually the current one at the time) so you can either leave it or update to the newest one (you can do this at any time, there just needs to be a valid one there).

sekhu

moo?
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the info. Is the 1.68 here: http://ezflash.sosuke.com/wiki/index.php?t...FOR_EZV#Kernels kernel here the same thing as the bootstrap/update/bootloader? I just grab the 1.68 hold r on boot up and then let it work its magic? Then copy over the 1.86 stable and do the hold r thing again?

Sorry if i'm seeming overly cautious, I just don't want to mess up the flash cart

cheers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/tP_4p2-HkOo?si=YA0-tpAzP26E-P66