Hacking Help with Donwloading USB Loader Without SD card?

xlxk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Disclaimer*
Im a Noob To Wii Modding

So my Internal SD card reader broke, but I already had my Wii hacked from several years ago. I just recently wanted to start “playing” game ISO’s from a USB but I don’t have anything installed yet and the SD card reader is broken. So I’ve tried searching for a way to download the USB Loader off of a USB but there’s no way I’ve found, but upon searching I saw FlashHax. I read a little bit about FlashHax and I wondered if someone could some how host a website with the usb loader Gx on it.
Maybe there is a way to instal usb loader off of a USB drive that I don’t know of but I’m lost rn.

leseratte

Wiimmfi Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you already have your Wii hacked, just put homebrew onto a FAT32 formatted flash drive / hard drive, open the homebrew channel, select the USB drive (press 1), and the apps should be displayed.

xlxk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive tired that and i get an error saying exception dsi error occured.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If you already have your Wii hacked, just put homebrew onto a FAT32 formatted flash drive / hard drive, open the homebrew channel, select the USB drive (press 1), and the apps should be displayed.

New
Ive tired that and i get an error saying exception dsi error occured.​

xlxk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@xlxb Did you try doing it again, for good measure?
Yea I got it finally working, it turned out that Sandisk doesn’t work, I had to use another usb drive with only 7gb. My Sandisk has 32gb, it sucks I can’t use it. I tried formatting it with external software, but still no use, I tried with the right usb slot, it still didn’t work, but at least my other usb drive works!

Yea I got it finally working, it turned out that Sandisk doesn’t work, I had to use another usb drive with only 7gb. My Sandisk has 32gb, it sucks I can’t use it. I tried formatting it with external software, but still no use, I tried with the right usb slot, it still didn’t work, but at least my other usb drive works!
I’ll probably end up using the Sandisk for emulators on my Xbox

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
What do you mean by "put homebrew onto a FAT32 formatted flash drive"?

Hello.:)

Instead of your SD Card you can use a USB Device (like USB Stick/Flash Drive).
It must be formatted with FAT32 otherwise the Homebrew Channel is not able to read from it.
Then you can copy the Content over (apps and maybe additional needed Folders)
On the Homebrew Channel you can change the Device from SD Card to USB Device by pressing "1" on your Wii Motion Controller.
But please note,maybe not all Homebrew Applications will work from USB.

Good luck
Thank you.:)

Adk101

Trophies
XP
Country
India

It must be formatted with FAT32 otherwise the Homebrew Channel is not able to read from it.
On the Homebrew Channel you can change the Device from SD Card to USB Device by pressing "1" on your Wii Motion Controller.

Good luck
""But it says exception dsi occurred""

I am using a 320 gb hard disk but it shows error.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
""But it says exception dsi occurred""

I am using a 320 gb hard disk but it shows error.

Please try/use an USB Flash Drive/USB Stick with 8 - 32 GB in Size for this Project please.:)
You can also try an USB (SD) Card Reader and use an SD Card (also 8 - 32 GB if possible please).
It is only meant as SD Card Replacement.

So my Internal SD card reader broke, but I already had my Wii hacked from several years ago. I just recently wanted to start “playing” game ISO’s from a USB but I don’t have anything installed yet and the SD card reader is broken.

You should not use your Game HDD/a HDD for this.:)

Reactions: jeannotte

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
maybe HBC is not compatible with GPT, be sure to use MBR.
it's the partition table version, MBR allows partitionning up to 2TB drives.
if your drive is bigger, it's using GPT.
if it's not bigger, there are still a chance it's GPT instead of MBR, because it's the "new" norm, but you can revert back to old partition table version.

Note that Flashdrive is generally not recommended for USBLoaders (game playing over usb). but should work with other homebrew.
You SHOULD (why not alexander?) use your external HDD for that, both homebrew apps/ and games (wii and gamecube).
if you want the HDD to list homebrew inside HBC, you need MBR FAT32.
if you are not particularly demanding, and just want USBLoaders to play games, you can use GPT or NTFS (not recommended, it's just an example, use FAT32!), after installing the USBLoader forwarder, because Forwarders are compatible with all HDD formats, unlike HBC.

so, if your HDD is GPT, or NTFS (instead of MBR, or FAT32), here what to do:
1) Be sure you have a USBLoader forwarder installed on your console. if not, use a temporary "USB to MicroSD adapter" to access HBC and install it using a wad manager.
2) install the usbloader on your HDD (any partition, but the first is recommended), usb:/apps/usbloader_gx/ <- for example
3) have your games on the USB too : usb:/wbfs/game title [GameID]/GameID.wbfs
etc.

plug the HDD on port 0 (bottom usb port on wii)
launch the forwarder and profit :D

the forwarder first checks the SD card. if it can't find the usbloader's boot.dol, it mounts the HDD and seek it for up to 8 partitions. (it expects 4 per USB ports), placing the boot.dol on the first partition speed the launch.

Last edited by Cyan,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
You SHOULD (why not alexander?) use your external HDD for that.

Thank you,I did not know that.
My "Knowledge" about (and it was not complete as it seems) was
Homebrew on the HDD works but
an SD Card provided.
Excuse me,that was not correct and a Misinformation,thank you for your Correction.:)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hbc let you choose where to look for homebrew, SD or HDD, like you suggested yourself. as long as it's compatible (FAT32, unsure about MBR/GPT, first partition, unsure accepted partition size but <2TB is always better)
SD card is not a requirement.
you can do everything with USB HDD only, but some homebrew are hardcoded for SD (rarely now, it used to be for older homebrew)

The only time USB is not recommended for homebrew is when using 2 USB Ports at the same time!
lot of homebrew keeps an active stream (a connection to opened files) to read/write the content of the files, like the settings, the music stream, themes, pictures, etc.
Both ports are not active at the same time, it's only one at a time!
switching back and forth from USB Port is done aggressively by closing USB Port, without checking if there are still current active "file stream" opened (they are supposed to be on SD most of the time. Never eject SD while inside a homebrew! that's the same problem!). switching port when there's an opened file creates problems, up to partition table corruption and file loss !

if you ever use apps, settings or resources on USB (instead of just ISO or ROM), then NEVER use 2 HDD at the same time!

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
hbc let you choose where to look for homebrew, SD or HDD, like you suggested yourself.
SD card is not a requirement.
you can do everything with USB HDD only, but some homebrew are hardcoded for SD (rarely now, it used to be for older homebrew)

Yes,thats it.:)
I always thought the (big) Size from the USB Device/HDD causes the DSI Exception Errors....oh dear.:D
I never tried bigger USB Devices like 32 GB.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it could cause dsi in case if partition bigger than 2TB, while it expect a 32bit size variable.
I never checked the sources, so it's only hypothetical, but if any homebrew uses a 32bit variable to check the partition size but it's a GPT or anything bigger, then the size will be wrong, it can even be reported as negative value.

GPT and HDD bigger than 2TB are quite new compared to Wii life span, so as general precaution it's always good to use MBR and <2TB drives.
only recent and still updated homebrew are compatible with bigger drives.

I think the 32GB you mention was the SD card size itself? it worked only on SDHC, not SDXC, etc. no to mention very old hacks worked only on SD (not HC, so ≤4GB).

Last edited by Cyan,

Stuxr

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey I’m new to wii modding I recently hombrew my wii without sd card I want to get usb loader so I can run isos but my sd card reader broke as well what can I do

Good luck
Hello I’m I’m new to wii modding and I recently hombrewed my wii without a sd card my sd card reader broke and I need a usb loader to play isos on but sd don’t work is this possible

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello. 1111xmas_wink.gif

Welcome to the Wii Section.:)

Hey I’m new to wii modding I recently hombrew my wii without sd card I want to get usb loader so I can run isos but my sd card reader broke as well what can I do

Hello I’m I’m new to wii modding and I recently hombrewed my wii without a sd card my sd card reader broke and I need a usb loader to play isos on but sd don’t work is this possible

You can copy the USBLoader GX Files/Folders on the HDD where your Games are located.
Please use the same File/Folder Structure like on an SD Card.
As mentioned,the HDD has to be FAT32 formatted so the Homebrew Channel can read the Application from it.
Then in the Settings from the USBLoader GX you have to change the Paths for the Games/Covers and so on to the Folders on the HDD (the Device should be usb0: if I remember correct).
(Please give me a little Time for Details,I have actual no Wii attached.Thank you for your Patience).:)

Then Game Loading should be no Problem for you.:)

Good Luck.

Reactions: jeannotte

Stuxr

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello.View attachment 240777

Welcome to the Wii Section.:)

You can copy the USBLoader GX Files/Folders on the HDD where your Games are located.
Please use the same File/Folder Structure like on an SD Card.
As mentioned,the HDD has to be FAT32 formatted so the Homebrew Channel can read the Application from it.
Then in the Settings from the USBLoader GX you have to change the Paths for the Games/Covers and so on to the Folders on the HDD (the Device should be usb0: if I remember correct).
(Please give me a little Time for Details,I have actual no Wii attached.Thank you for your Patience).:)

Then Game Loading should be no Problem for you.:)

Good Luck.
Thank you

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1