Homebrew Help with Black Screen after update

Ryusei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi guys, I'm new here and also to homebrews, so please bear with me as I don't know all the specific terms.
A while back a guy I know decided to install CFW on my old 3DSXL. I'm not sure which CFW it is but it was most recently at 11.3 and started with RX-E.
Then I didnt use my 3DS for a while, but I remembered that my friendhe told me to only update the firmware through the system settings, instead of the prompt.
I updated today and now when I turn it on, it tries to go through a few screens and just hangs in black.
The top screen seems to try to light up every few seconds but doesn't do much beyond that.
If I hold R during boot, it still takes me to Sysnand though, which is currently at 9.2.

Initially I wanted to back up my save files and stuff, but currently, I just want it to work again.
I heard this boot9strap is pretty good. Was wondering if it's still possible to salvage this 3DS and install that.
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance =)

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I'm new here and also to homebrews, so please bear with me as I don't know all the specific terms.
A while back a guy I know decided to install CFW on my old 3DSXL. I'm not sure which CFW it is but it was most recently at 11.3 and started with RX-E.
Then I didnt use my 3DS for a while, but I remembered that my friendhe told me to only update the firmware through the system settings, instead of the prompt.
I updated today and now when I turn it on, it tries to go through a few screens and just hangs in black.
The top screen seems to try to light up every few seconds but doesn't do much beyond that.
If I hold R during boot, it still takes me to Sysnand though, which is currently at 9.2.

Initially I wanted to back up my save files and stuff, but currently, I just want it to work again.
I heard this boot9strap is pretty good. Was wondering if it's still possible to salvage this 3DS and install that.
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance =)
It is. I'm going to assume you were using menuhacks with RXTools so that's a pretty outdated method anyway and has been patched, which is why you get the black screen.

Is your console still on 11.3 Sysnand? If so I would recommend you to change your theme to uninstall menuhacks and follow 3ds.guide to the letter using soundhax to install Boot9Strap. Afterwards, you'll replace RXTools with Luma (a current CFW) and your system will boot again. Then, you can make a backup of your emuNAND and flash it to your sysNAND (emuNAND is no longer needed, with B9S CFW is safe on sysNAND with updates), then you can update your console to the current firmware and be good to go.

EDIT: I saw you said it's on 9.2.... So the same thing still applies at any firmware between 9.0 - 11.3....

Reactions: Ryusei

Ryusei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is. I'm going to assume you were using menuhacks with RXTools so that's a pretty outdated method anyway and has been patched, which is why you get the black screen.

Is your console still on 11.3 Sysnand? If so I would recommend you to change your theme to uninstall menuhacks and follow 3ds.guide to the letter using soundhax to install Boot9Strap. Afterwards, you'll replace RXTools with Luma (a current CFW) and your system will boot again. Then, you can make a backup of your emuNAND and flash it to your sysNAND (emuNAND is no longer needed, with B9S CFW is safe on sysNAND with updates), then you can update your console to the current firmware and be good to go.

EDIT: I saw you said it's on 9.2.... So the same thing still applies at any firmware between 9.0 - 11.3....
Hey, thanks for such a quick reply!
Now, Emunand and Sysnand are probably the only terms I know since the guy kept saying them when he put CFW in my system...
What does it mean to change my theme to uninstall menuhacks?
I know of the 3ds.guide site and between 9-11.3 it uses homebrew launcher, which I don't think I have access to since my system can't get to emunand right now.
Sorry if these seem like silly questions...

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, thanks for such a quick reply!
Now, Emunand and Sysnand are probably the only terms I know since the guy kept saying them when he put CFW in my system...
What does it mean to change my theme to uninstall menuhacks?
I know of the 3ds.guide site and between 9-11.3 it uses homebrew launcher, which I don't think I have access to since my system can't get to emunand right now.
Sorry if these seem like silly questions...
You can just change your theme to any regular color theme from the menu like normal. As long as you change it, it will break menuhacks.

That said, Soundhax will allow you homebrew access from sysNAND on your current firmware, and will allow you to install B9S straight from there without downgrading or anything extra.

Visit the guide's "Get started" section and choose your console's model and the "Soundhax" option and follow through. If you have any questions during the install don't hesitate to ask.

Ryusei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can just change your theme to any regular color theme from the menu like normal. As long as you change it, it will break menuhacks.

That said, Soundhax will allow you homebrew access from sysNAND on your current firmware, and will allow you to install B9S straight from there without downgrading or anything extra.

Visit the guide's "Get started" section and choose your console's model and the "Soundhax" option and follow through. If you have any questions during the install don't hesitate to ask.
My sysnand was already on the default theme, so I changed it to red...I hope that does what you're suggesting that I should do.
I'll get started on the guide and post back here if I have any questions. Thanks!

Reactions: Majickhat55

Ryusei

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Sorry, got a question already lol
I've finished downloading all of the files and am moving them into my SD card. I already have a boot.3dsx file from before in the root of my sd, should I replace it with the one I just downloaded through the tutorial on 3ds.guide or keep the original?
I'm not sure if it always came with one or if it exists because the other guy was installing RXTools...

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, got a question already lol
I've finished downloading all of the files and am moving them into my SD card. I already have a boot.3dsx file from before in the root of my sd, should I replace it with the one I just downloaded through the tutorial on 3ds.guide or keep the original?
I'm not sure if it always came with one or if it exists because the other guy was installing RXTools...
Replace it, it's a newer version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: It's certainly better than the first but it's not awesome either.