Help with 3DS NANDMOD

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Psi-hate, May 27, 2015.

1. Psi-hate
    OP

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    Hello tempers. I'm here today because one of my potential hardmodders has been busy these past few weeks and it'd be quite rude to send her a job while she's away. I have a lot of necessary parts, but the problem I'm having is that I need some confirmation that what I need is present and to make sure I don't screw it all up. (I have an experienced solderer with me) For the record, I'm doing this on a O3DS

I have:

1 Micro SD Card Reader

1 Mini USB to Micro USB adapter

5 colored wires

1 soldering iron

1 soldering material

1 pair of clippers (For cutting the wires)

Please inform me if I have what I need, and what I must do. Thank you all for the help.

Attached Files:

2. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Where are the snacks for your experienced soldered?

3. Psi-hate
    OP

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    My leftover pizza bread should be good enough. :ha:

4. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    Where's your solder, and FLUX. I cannot stress the importance of flux. Also be careful with that iron, non temperature adjustable irons have a tendency to take longer to melt solder. Combined with the stiff twisted pair wires from an cat-5 cable it can be potentially dangerous, and can lift the soldering pads.

thorasgar likes this.
  5. Psi-hate
    OP

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    The Solder has flux in itself. I should have things under control. (I'm also testing this on an already useless/dysfunctional 3ds, so even if I screw up or not, I won't be really gaining anything either way.) May I have some of the pictures on what I need to solder?

6. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I would be personally insulted if any thing less than Girl Scout Cookies were served.

7. hundshamer

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    The flux in the solder practically dissolves as soon as you melt the solder. I use rosin core solder as well. Trust me some flux paste will make a world of difference. It's not too much, you can find a decent amount for about $8 at Radio Shack, and a little goes a long way. I noticed you have a way to cut the wires, but you might want some wire strippers too.

8. Psi-hate
    OP

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    I'm afraid I don't have a wire stripper on me. I may have to manually cut some of the outside. Also, I will get some flux paste too next time I'm out. :)

9. hundshamer

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    Cool. You'll see how flux will be especially helpful when soldering to the tiny CLK point. As far as what to solder, 3Dbrew has the solder points. I would also recommend a micro JST port as they are easier to solder to. USB points are real close together.

10. Psi-hate
    OP

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    I spent a good hour at radioshack and this was the best I came up with unfortunately. I'll try to be extremely careful while soldering those points. (I would've preferred to use the ones in the NandMod tutorial video but it's pretty hard to find around here.)