[HELP!] Typing Chinese characters on the computer

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by I am r4ymond, Mar 6, 2011.

1. I am r4ymond
    OP

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    As I was trying to type out Chinese characters on Notepad, they turn into small square-like blocks like this:

http://img703.imageshack.us/i/blocksny.png/

Does anyone know what kind of problem this is?

Also...I think I may have uninstalled something important that enables the Chinese characters to show up as characters and not blocks a few days ago. Not sure.

I need to type out a Chinese script by today [​IMG]. Help is appreciated.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The font you're using doesn't have chinese characters in it. You'll need to switch it to a unicode font. I'm not sure of any way to tell if a font's unicode or not other than trying it.

3. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States

This. You may also want to make sure you have the Chinese language pack installed on your computer. I know this applies to XP, not sure about later OS.

4. I am r4ymond
    OP

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    Thanks for the reply, Rydian.

I was using the Arial font to type Chinese characters last time, and it worked, but when I use the Arial font this time, it doesn't work.

I also did a quick research. I came upon some software called Language Packs. And as I've remembered, I don't think I have the Language Packs installed FOR Windows 7.

I think everything is coming back to me now.

I checked Windows Update and it has a few Optional Updates. They include the Chinese Simplified and Traditional Language Packs. I'm going to try to install them to see if it works.

5. Rydian

United States
    The standard fonts included with windows aren't unicode because unicode fonts take up a lot more space than normal.

6. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Every Windows in the NT family (2000, XP, Vista, Win7) use unicode only and these don't take up a lot more space than non-unicode variants.

Including Chinese or similar would however take a lot more space than "normal", but that's irrelevant to whether Windows uses unicode and whether the windows fonts take up a lot more space than "normal".

Europe would be pretty fucked if what you said was true.

7. Rydian

United States
    I obviously meant the full range of unicode.

8. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to point out some lack of knowledge of yours, I'm aware that you know would know that Windows comes with fonts that include characters not part of the English alphabet (and that you would know which OSes are in the NT family).

I was simply making the remark because other members wouldn't necessarily know these things and more importantly would likely trust someone as respected as you are in this section when presented with a computer related fact, however wrong you may have accidentally put it.

9. Rydian

United States
    I'm not aimed at being technically correct, I'm aimed at fixing the issue.

If the issue was simply lacking unicode technically (and not the full range of glyphs in the font chosen) then this thread would not exist as the user wouldn't have the issue.

10. zhuzhuchina

Member zhuzhuchina GBAtemp Advanced Fan

China
    i use win7 english too, install the chinese language pack and you should could write chinese