Help: Software to rename ROMS

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by dannywill, Dec 22, 2010.

Dec 22, 2010
  1. dannywill
    OP

Newcomer dannywill Member

United States
    Hi all.

Not sure if this is in the right area, please move if need be.

I am hoping somebody can help me, I have a bunch of .nds roms but the file names are all nonsense.

Is there any software I can use that will rename the files to the game name.

CRC based may not work as some of the files are trimmed.

I used to use rominator for this but it seems to be dead.

Thanks in advance.

Dan.

2. EvangelionEX

Member EvangelionEX GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    I thought you can just rename it the usual way? Like right click>Rename

Sorry if I'm wrong o-o

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    They need to be able to see which game is which in order to know what to name them, and if there's a bunch of them checking by trying to load and then name it (or opening it in some rom editor) is too much work.

Advanscene has a tool called "ndscrcrenamer", it's in the menu on the left-hand side.

http://www.advanscene.com/

4. dannywill
    OP

Newcomer dannywill Member

United States
    Rydian,

Thanks very much for that - ndscrcrenamer worked great once I figured out how to use it.

Thanks again.

Dan.

5. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    That just changes the file name. I think the OP wanted the internal ROM name changing. [​IMG]

6. nesdude0011

Newcomer nesdude0011 Member

United States

What does this mean exactly?

All I want to do is change the file name of some of my games, so they are listed in the correct order when viewing them on my dstwo. For example, I want to change the name of my version of Spirit Tracks. The roms was originally named "Zelda: Spirit Tracks" and I want to name it "Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks".
    Is all I have to do is right click on the file (when viewing my MicroSD root) and then rename it?
    Thanks

7. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    If you use Windows - then yes that's all you have to do right click on the file > select 'rename' & change the name...
    Alternatively you can left click on a file (so that it get's highlighted) & press [F2] button - this will also allow you to rename it as well

What I think the OP was after, was a way of renaming those files that you can download that look like '3800 - LOZST - (Matrix).NDS' or 'L3g3nd 0f z3ld4.nd5' into something more 'readable', & IF you have a lot of these - having a program that'll looks @ the file header, finds the correct name, then rename it so - would make life easier

8. nesdude0011

United States
    Thanks a lot for the quick reply!
    I use windows, so that works great for me! I only have a few roms I want to rename, so it will only take a minute to rename them. I just wanted to be sure that renaming them wouldn't mess them up in anyway.

9. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Nah! - renaming NDS files don't affect the files (usually) especially with ROMS - you MAY find a homebrew program may not work right if you rename a file or folder that it requires (like a *.dat) but renaming the *.nds files won't (well I've never came across any yet)

10. rave420

Member rave420 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    first off, a rom has two names.

First, there is the FILE NAME. The name of the rom file, as it is registered in the file system.

Second, there is the INTERNAL NAME, which is read from the header of the file.

Your flashcard may or may not be able to list your roms by internal name and file name.

The file name is easily changed, by right klicking and renaming the file to whatever you want.
    The internal name needs to be changed with a hex editor in the header, and you will likely break the rom unless you know how to calculate the header checksum.

therefore, give your rom proper FILE NAMES, like "5300 - LEGEND OF ZELDA" etc, and your files will always be listed numerical in ascending or descending order. To change the order of the files, simply change the numbers in front of it.

I am not aware of any tools that can change internal rom names, imho this would break cheat code compatability, as the game is not recognized as the correct game anymore. If you don't care about this, and found a tool to do this for you, then you're all set. just remember to change the setting on your flashcard to display the INTERNAL NAME (usually, on the R4, AK2i and SCDS2, the SELECT button does this)

11. nesdude0011

United States
    I recently downloaded a large amount of NES roms to use on my Wii using FCE Ultra. The roms have some extra information that appears after the name of the game. For example, a name would look like this:

Legend of Zelda(U)[!].nes

I want to list only the name of the game, and not have the extra information. Is this possible? I don't want to have to remove them each one by one, as that would take quite a while.

Thanks

12. idulkoan

Banned idulkoan Banned

United States
    are all the roms named: 'title'(U)[!].nes ? or are some of the letters in a different place?

13. nesdude0011

United States
    As far as I can tell, they are all 'title'(U)[!].nes.

14. nesdude0011

United States
    Can anyone help? I really don't want to do this manually.

15. JonthanD

Member JonthanD GBAtemp Regular

United States
  16. nesdude0011

United States
    I downloaded the program you listed, but can't exactly figure it out. The files I want to rename are on a MicroSD card, but when I insert it into my computer, I can't find it using that program?

Could you possibly give me a short walk through? Thanks!

17. nesdude0011

United States
    Can anyone help?

18. Cuelhu

Member Cuelhu КУ!

can't you copy them off your microSD card, rename all and then place them back?

19. nesdude0011

United States
    I could just rename them like you said, but we are talking about A LOT of games! It would take quite a while to rename hundreds of games.

20. Cuelhu

Member Cuelhu КУ!

I meant using that software since it couldn't find your microSD drive. Besides that it's good to make a backup of your games (not having them only in your microSD). You'll regret if something bad happened to them.