Help reinstalling 3DS firmware + emunand?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by spinal_cord, Nov 30, 2015.

1. spinal_cord
    OP

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    Here's the situation, I have my unlinked 3DSxl with sysnand 9.2 and emunand (latest). My emunand is based on my real nintendo account, the sysnad was formatted.

I want to swap them around, having my sysnand real, and my emunand formatted (or I might not bother with emunand at all).

Anyway, from a starting point of 9.2 (eur), how high can I update my system and still use themehax? also, it it's lower than the current update, how do I go about performing the updates?

2. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Are you saying you want to update your sysnand higher than 9.2? Why?
    The highest that can still use menuhax is 10.1, but you lose access to any fancy CFW stuff you could do on 9.2

3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    You could go up to 10.1 keeping menuhax AFAIK. (not checked)
    I don't know if there is a way to accomplish what you want anyway, that is, relinking your SYSNAND to your NNID and staying at 10.1.

4. spinal_cord
    OP

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    I don't really use the emunand anymore, it was only really for the convenience of not carrying all my carts around, but I never play the games anymore anyway.
    Plus I'd like to use my VC downloads again (gba etc.)

Last edited by spinal_cord, Nov 30, 2015
  5. RaMon90

RaMon90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 3, 2013
    Italy
    Weird decision, usually people with firmware 10.x want badly be on firmware 9.0-9.2 for cfw.

Ammako likes this.
  6. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    What would be the advantage of ditching emunand and updating your sysnand and only using your sysnand anymore?

If you update your sysnand, you can kiss goodbye to anything you can do with CFW, and if you absolutely want to stay on a firmware that can use menuhax, you won't be able to access the eShop because you need at least 10.2 for that.
    Anything you can do on your sysnand, you can do on your emunand. If your VC downloads don't work in your emunand, make them into a .cia with FunkyCIA and install them to sysnand, then they will work.

With autoboot emunand there is no advantage to going back to using sysnand for anything anymore.

RaMon90 and Garcia98 like this.