HELP! Please.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Porygon-X, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Porygon-X
    OP

Porygon-X GBAtemp Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    Switzerland
    Canada. Shieeet
    Well, since last week, my USB ports have been disconnecting and connecting all the time. This wasn't much of a problem so I disregarded it.

However, today, sometimes my mouse gets disconnected for no appearant reason and on the Windows bar it says "Device Malfunction". I'm like WTF? So I mess around with it, vacuuming the dust etc. However the problem did not go away.

Now when I tried to connect several USB drives in my computer it all says "Device Malfunction". I tried on my Dad's laptop and it worked fine.

Is this a virus/malware/spyware? I have AVG Internet Security 9.0 and the scans showed nothing. Running XP professional.

Thanks.

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    It's typically a sign of either corrupt drivers, or not enough power reaching the USB devices. I've seen it happen a lot with those 7 port USB hubs, and also when a 1m or longer USB cable is involved. It's also possible that dirt inside the USB ports is causing it, but then it'd simply work if you tried a different port.

The chances that this is caused by any kind of malicious program is very, very small. I can only think of one case in the past where it actually was because of a small virus, but even that was one of those "joke" programs that got passed around school.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice