help please r4 card not working in 3ds

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by hangwire, Dec 11, 2015.

1. hangwire
    OP

hangwire Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    I was hoping to get some better advice on how to fix my r4 card problem. it worked fine in my 3ds, but then the system updated to v10.something something and now i get a black screen with white text

I followed online advice of getting new kernel and patch and watched a youtube vid, but still does not work.

I started an account just to get help on this, I'm not great with these things, but my r4 card for my ds lite still is going strong so I must need a little guidance to get this ads one right again.

2. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    It would be helpful to know what the white text says.

3. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    Nintendo hasn't tried to block DS flash carts since 7.0(?). what firmware was your 3DS on before you updated to 10.x? does it work fine in another system?

4. hangwire
    OP

hangwire Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    "An error has occurred, please hold power down... " message that seems to be common after a ads update blocking the r4 card

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

it was a stock 3ds and I updated it when smash bros came out a while back to play the free demo, and the 4f card hasn't worked since, but trying to get it fixed now because we are going on a plane trip soon
    i only have a ds lite and 3ds, so I can't test in a another 3ds

5. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    what kind of card is it (R4 DS, R4i, R4 SDHC, etc.), and does it work in the DS lite right now?

6. hangwire
    OP

hangwire Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

no... the regular old r4 card i use in my ds lite kind of "takes over" after the start up screen into my rom file list and folders, but the r4 3DS card doesn't do that, but can be selected to launch at the regular ds lite start up screen, but then the screen blacks out and nothing happens

7. dpad_5678

dpad_5678 GBAtemp's Memelord

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    That one should still work. Is the firmware of the cart updated to the newest version?

Is the microSD card real?

8. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    the original R4 doesn't work in anything but the original DS and DS lite.

your "R4i 3DS" card might have to be updated to run on the 3DS. hold on...
    that's not from the site on the card (http://r4ids.cn/) and the card doesn't say "GOLD" on it.

9. hangwire
    OP

hangwire Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    I'm not sure what you mean by real, but prior to the system update a while ago i had rooms on their and it worked fine. here are some pics of the screen after landing and how it looks in the 3ds... i'll try and take a laptop shot of the micro sd card folder in a sec

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dpad_5678

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    look here.

i have the same cart as you. The cart itself doesnt say Gold (you can tell it is because, well, the text is in gold.)

That's the FW i use anyway. (Same DL link).

11. hangwire
    OP

hangwire Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2015
    United States
  12. dpad_5678

Nov 19, 2015
    United States
    Those NDS patchers are so out of date. (i think)

13. hangwire
    OP

hangwire Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    those were the ones I downloaded sunday from the site on the card?

that link doesn't go anywhere ???

14. ac3ds

ac3ds PlayStation Addict

Sep 2, 2015
    United States
    A box
    You didn't use a suspicious Mario Party 10 rom did you? If you did it could have bricked DS mode(i guess any rom could do that). If that is not the case I am uploading a tutorial for a possible fix.

15. hangwire
    OP

hangwire Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    no it was all working fine before the update to play the smash bros demo. I even tried to "reset" the 3DS to stock, but it kept the version 10 as seen in the above pic

thanks for the tutorial offer. I might have to head out in a bit, but i will defiantly be back later tonight or tomorrow morning to continue trying to solve this issue :)

16. ac3ds

ac3ds PlayStation Addict

Sep 2, 2015
    United States
    A box
    Here try this on your DS Lite, it may work if you can get in on either of your cards. You need to be connected to WIFI but it might be able to upgrade your old one, this method worked for me when I first got my 3DS.
    Or try this:[​IMG]

Last edited by ac3ds, Dec 11, 2015
  17. hangwire
    OP

hangwire Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    I can't get to those screens to pop up on the 3DS, but I got the cart to load on the Dslite! It does not automatically take over the system upon start up, you have to select it as the "game" in the top box/slot 1, but then then gives a menu from the R4 card, and by selecting the patch I got this screen:
    [​IMG]

and after a minute it just sits on this screen ... if you press A again it seems to "upgrade" again, but none of the other buttons seem to do anything.

[​IMG]

so my only choice was to power it off. I put the card in the 3DS and I get that same black screen i posted above of needing to power down the system. FFFFffffffffffffff-------

I hoped the card back in the Ds lite, clicked the patch again, pop into 3DS, still black screen of white text staying error and power down....

I even posed it back in the DS lite and I can play roms on that just fine:

[​IMG]

any thoughts???

18. ac3ds

ac3ds PlayStation Addict

Sep 2, 2015
    United States
    A box
    Not really sure... Since it did go to the update screen that means it needs to be updated for a certain firmware. All I can think of is to re configure wifi from a ROM and just keep trying to update.
    I don't know if this would make a difference but try taking out the GBA game.

19. hangwire
    OP

hangwire Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    the update screen only happened when i clicked the patch in the ds lite.

how do i reconfigure wifi from a rom?

20. ac3ds

ac3ds PlayStation Addict

Sep 2, 2015
    United States
    A box
    I use Mario Kart DS so you go select options Nintendo WFC and set that up.