Hardware Oldies Help pc keeps shutting it self down and overheating!

NeoGaming

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi does any one know how to stop my laptop from overheating. i tried the though the bios but my bios are form 2012 so that doesn't the cpu and gpu gets over 80c or even 90c just browsing the internet! this is really a problem.

cpu and gpu: amd a6-3400 with radeon hd graphics 1.4 ghz

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
airflow isnt a problem then, it probably just needs a good clean inside.

is it running slow, have you checked CPU usage in resource manager to make sure the CPU isnt being slammed non stop by something?

I daily run cleaners on it [meaning windows programs, and cCleaner], then it runs pretty good. As far as inside.. I've done that a little ways back. It was a floor model, and it had junk on the fans. Ran good after that. Then also, windows did it's update thing [sometimes trying to install 11 onto it, but laptop says "Not Compatible"], and Asus [company] did it's check on it via my internet connection. THAT'S when it started overheating.

Weird.

steve_fox

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I daily run cleaners on it [meaning windows programs, and cCleaner], then it runs pretty good. As far as inside.. I've done that a little ways back. It was a floor model, and it had junk on the fans. Ran good after that. Then also, windows did it's update thing [sometimes trying to install 11 onto it, but laptop says "Not Compatible"], and Asus [company] did it's check on it via my internet connection. THAT'S when it started overheating.

Weird.

if it started misbehaving after software was installed, have you tried reinstalling windows?

Its only a 6w CPU though and thats when its running at its 2.4ghz max speed, its not as old as i first thought, it should be a pretty cool running cpu unless the cooling is compromised in some way.

Reactions: AncientBoi

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmmm. I dont really think it could happen through Windows Update. But Check Bios if there are some Configuration for the fan. Some have ability to change the usage of it. Also for CPU.

Btw Windows uses up to 2GB Ram only for running Windows. If u use a Browser with many plugins another 1GB is in use. Some more backround Procceses like ccleanera automatic and u runnning fast low on Ram.
Maybe because of that the CPU is running full all the time and Ram, too. And maybe the fan maybe cant handle it.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is pretty typical of after market batteries unfortunately. There is also the unfortunate possibility that the replacement you bought might have been NOS which might have had some shelf life for awhile before being used which can cause what you are seeing. Typically in some cases with old laptop batteries it might just be better to re-cell them yourself as not only is it cheaper (since most older laptop batteries use 18650's as their cells) but you will be able to purchase them when they are much, much newer giving you assured better quality in your battery life. That said however this requires some knowhow and depending on the situation maybe some small soldering. Not something I would call an entry level project. Also if its one of those internal flat batteries then this idea completely goes out of the window as that's a whole other thing entirely.

Also true, it is old to the point even I had a hard time ID'ing it. I mainly went by your processor specs and the year it was being released in on consumer devices (2011-12).
I thought that, using heat is a no no for Lithium Ion batteries. Am I wrong?

NeoGaming

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok do you think i have the money to buy a new laptop when i just put a new 500 gb sdd in it also i looked on both website for a bios update so i can up grade to uffi to get windows 11 also i got this from my uncle. for the end of the school year.

DrPickles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok do you think i have the money to buy a new laptop when i just put a new 500 gb sdd in it also i looked on both website for a bios update so i can up grade to uffi to get windows 11 also i got this from my uncle. for the end of the school year.
A 500G SSD can be removed and put in your new system. You likely can't upgrade to Windows 11 because your processor does not have the required extensions due to its age. You can't "upgrade to UEFI", your system either has a BIOS or UEFI with possibly Legacy Mode enabled. They are two seperate devices. Nobody here knows your financial situation and we aren't trying to be rude to you, but your system is simply obsolete for current Windows 10 and 11. Yes, the Windows 10 updates can and will slow down older machines significantly, unfortunately there isn't much you can do to prevent these and keep your system secure. I will once again suggest you switch to a hardware light Linux distribution. Lubuntu or Mint would run decently well on your system. Retroarch is supported, and some of your Steam games may have a Linux port as well. If you can't upgrade to a better hardware platform then changing your software is your only real hope of continued use of your system.

DrPickles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes... And I'm sure it runs poorly. You are running an entry level processor from over a decade ago with not enough RAM. There is nothing more I can say that will help you. Perhaps someone else can communicate my points better than I am able...

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought that, using heat is a no no for Lithium Ion batteries. Am I wrong?
You mean in physically upgrading the cells? Yes, but its more about prolonged heat exposure and heat limits as well. Heat will cause a lowering of quality of your cells over time.

If you are trying to get into your battery pack the best method is to use a hot knife, heat up a boxcutter knife or something of that nature with a heat source and use that to cut in and gain access to the cells. Be careful of course.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean in physically upgrading the cells? Yes, but its more about prolonged heat exposure and heat limits as well. Heat will cause a lowering of quality of your cells over time.

If you are trying to get into your battery pack the best method is to use a hot knife, heat up a boxcutter knife or something of that nature with a heat source and use that to cut in and gain access to the cells. Be careful of course.
Using soldering iron to join the batteries together. If I am understanding correctly, from the reply, it is okay to use a soldering iron, but not for prolong period of time. Must be quick.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi does any one know how to stop my laptop from overheating. i tried the though the bios but my bios are form 2012 so that doesn't the cpu and gpu gets over 80c or even 90c just browsing the internet! this is really a problem.

cpu and gpu: amd a6-3400 with radeon hd graphics 1.4 ghz
If the laptop is from 2012 my guess is it just needs the heatsink cleaned and probably some new thermal paste.
Fans will fail eventually, but if that were the case it would probably overheat and shut down as soon as you got to the desktop, or before. Also, you probably would've noticed the fan getting obnoxiously loud for a few days/weeks/months before going very quiet.

Reactions: NeoGaming

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Using soldering iron to join the batteries together. If I am understanding correctly, from the reply, it is okay to use a soldering iron, but not for prolong period of time. Must be quick.
NO. Do not do this. By the time the solder melts you have already heated up the cell beyond safe limits, because the battery sinks the heat away from the solder point. It's very likely you will see smoke, or worse.
You don't want to risk a fire later on when the batteries are left unattended while charging, such as at night or when you're not at home. It's not worth risking your home and your life over.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Just get the entire library it's like 4gb