[HELP!] New3ds bricked while downgrading...

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by JustaRandomCat, Mar 14, 2016.

1. JustaRandomCat
    OP

JustaRandomCat Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    My 3ds was at firmware 10.6 and i tried downgrading it to 9.2. I followed the steps on the video (ninjhax, sysupdater, the correct files for the downgrade). Ninjhax worked, sends me to the homebrew launcher, i selected sysupdater and pressed Y to downgrade. Everything was working fine until the message "an error has occured. hold down the power button and try again" popped up HALFWAY through the process. So now, every time i turn on the n3ds, the message comes up. I cant even access the Recovery Mode resulting in a black screen. i know that its not softbricked but hardbricked...do i need to do a hardmod? Oh and IF i buy a new one, will I be able to use my nnid from the bricked one?

2. James310

James310 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    Hardmod is only useful in your situation if you backed up your system NAND which I assume you don't have or we wouldn't have this thread, only choice is to buy a new system, call Nintendo to unlink your nnid and say your old system was damage by somehow and that's why you can't format it your self...

3. JustaRandomCat
    OP

JustaRandomCat Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    If i call nintendo, would i need to send them the bricked 3ds or will they unlink my nnid online?

4. Caseyfam

Caseyfam GBAtemp Regular

Aug 1, 2015
    United States
    Why would you buy another system? I suggest sending it into Nintendo as fast as possible and get it repaired. It will probably ship back on 10.6, which is downgradeable with Cubic Ninja or OOThax.

5. James310

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Just wait until they find out what he was doing, he voided his warranty :rofl2:

6. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Did you install any legit cia's before you downgraded?

Hard to imagine what caused that brick other than a bad sd card or corrupt update files.

And you could try to return the system to the store if they'll still let you. (walmart is handy in these cases lol)

7. Tzuba

Tzuba GBAtemp Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    United States
    Houston
    I had to send mine in after installing the wrong files when downgrading for 10.3 had just become a thing. I just told them I hadn't played the system in a while and went to upgrade it but I dropped it while it was upgrading and the system shut off and that it wouldn't turn on after that.

I sent in the system WITHOUT the SD card and they repaired it for free. Luckily before I downgraded I had backed up all of my saves and all they did was replace the board inside the 3ds and send it back. I just installed homebrew again and injected my saves back.

So TC, just send in the system if its under warranty and don't send the SD card with it. They can't see that you were doing hacks if they don't have the sd card, and will probably just replace the PCB board inside the system and send it back to you. You just won't have your data anymore.

edit: forgot to mention my system was under warranty and it was completely free.

Last edited by Tzuba, Mar 14, 2016
    Caseyfam likes this.
  8. JustaRandomCat
    OP

JustaRandomCat Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    yea, thats why i wanted to know if they could unlink my nnid online :ninja:

9. Caseyfam

Caseyfam GBAtemp Regular

Aug 1, 2015
    United States
    If you send it in, they aren't going to know that you tampered with it. I sent one of mine in as well and simply said that it froze during an update. Shipped it out, and it came back updated to 10.3. Better than having a useless brick.

10. JustaRandomCat
    OP

JustaRandomCat Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    How do i send it to nintendo? I went to their website and there is a repair request. Will i have to pay money?

11. James310

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    If you know you have warranty on it then no...

12. JustaRandomCat
    OP

JustaRandomCat Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    The website says "Nintendo systems carry a standard 12-month warranty", i have the 3ds for about 4 months...but wont they find out that i voided the warranty somehow?

13. James310

Oct 4, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere in California
    Nope, they will just update it to 1.6, you can always send it to @hundshamer for a hardmod to downgrade from 10.4-10.6, its the safest way then the newest memchunk hax 2.1

14. JustaRandomCat
    OP

JustaRandomCat Member

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    The Aftermath (long overdue update on my used to be situation)
    So, I did followed Caseyfam's suggestion and sent my then bricked new3ds to Nintendo. I followed the instructions on how to send it to them and sent it right away. Thanks to the warranty they gave me a new system replacement. The only tiny downfall is that it has a little dead pixel but hey, it's way better than a bricked 3ds no? I did find out why the downgrade failed halfway and it was all thanks to a cheap $5 64 GB micro SD card I bought a few days before. Anyways I would like to thank everyone who tried to help me and finally conclude this post.

15. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    Dead pixels don't fall under warranty :-(
    What's the fw?
    New new3ds yeah :-)