Help needed soldering back a component in the DS lite

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by elspero, Jan 20, 2010.

1. elspero
    OP

Newcomer elspero Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hi all!
    I have a big problem to solve, hardware related...

Not having proper screwdrivers, while trying to open the ds lite, one friend managed to not only detach the volume slider (easily resoldered), but he detached this component: (circled in red, the picture is not mine, found it on the internet).
    [​IMG]

I have tried for HOURS on no end to resolder it back, but it is impossible. That thing is only 2mm wide, and there are at least 5 pins out of 10 to solder.
    they go from the cpu to the inferior screen, and without that the colors are all screwed up.
    To make things worse, there are no alternate points to solder, they go straight to the screen connector.

So, the question is: is there anything that I can do? Is it impossible to repair it or do I just lack proper equipment? (I have a soldering station, but no air solder. Also, I have a 0,3mm solder tip, but looks like it's too big for this "circuit")
    And, what is the above pictured thing? A resistor? A diode? A capacitor? there is nothing written on it, just a straight line.

Any and all help appreciated

2. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    As you are in the UK if you look up

the-ds-doctor on eBay, he is a seller but also a "qualified" repairer. I sent him two boards that needed the touchscreen connector replacing and he managed that OK.

3. Dark Blade

Member Dark Blade Flippin' Insane

United Kingdom
    I don't know how you could possibly solder that back in place...may be slightly tough..How'd It happen?

4. elspero
    OP

Newcomer elspero Newbie

United Kingdom
    Unfortunately i'm not in uk. I don't even remember how that flag got there when I registered.
    Oh well...

As how it did happen, I have no idea, but the DS has clearly taken a lot of damage from the opening attempts. If only he contacted me beforehand...
    (he was thinking to fix a slot 1 problem by himself, ugh.)

I almost managed to solder it back, but there are always some pins shorting and some not connected....