help needed - hacking a 360 to play back-ups

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by damoog, Oct 1, 2008.

Oct 1, 2008
  1. damoog
    OP

Newcomer damoog Member

United Kingdom
    i got a 360 yesterday and was wondering which is the best,most up to date and safest way to hack my 360 to play backups,also how risky is it

thankyou

2. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Flashing your DVD Drive with a different firmware.

It is quite safe if you know what your doing (there are guides for this sort of thing) & if you don't know then you could get someone else to do it.

This is the only way to get backups to work I think.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    What Prime said although there are a few modchips available.
    The 360 drives use a sata cable (a newer but common way of connecting hard drives and disc drives to computers). Only certain chipsets work with a given drive though.

Different drives require different hardware to flash to some extent, there are 3 main ways of identifying a drive, also check:
    http://360drives.com

Open tray
    http://www.biline.ca/360_mod.htm
    Not so good now as the open tray can be an easy VAD6038 but it can also be a impossible to mod (but able to be swapped with some effort) liteon. On the link liteon/Benq/phillips are the same).

peer through the hole:
    I am in a bit of a rush and have no link to hand but if you peer through a hole if you open the tray (right hand side with it opening as if it is about to hit you in the face) you can tell what you have.

And finally (and most certain): opening it up. You will need to do this to flash the thing so I suggest this.
    What the drive is appears on a label on the drive.
    How to open a 360:
    http://www.360mods.net/News/article/sid=58.html (if you care about the warranty you can heat the sticker with a hair dryer and slide it).
    It is not terribly difficult but you will need some torx screwdrivers (I got some from maplins but most electronics shops should be able to source them). Watch/read a few times too.

To my knowledge only the liteon needs fiddling (soldering/cutting) with the PCB to flash these days unless you really have to do it with the hardware you have (the required sata cards are £10 or so online).
    If you see something about cutting traces and soldering on the vad6038 ignore it as it is old, the new version of dosflash (important the version that ships with iprep (the program the tutorial "hacking the xbox 360 for noobs" ( http://www.360mods.net/Downloads/get=61/mirror=188.html ) recommends) is 1.3 something which is only able to dump the drive, not erase or flash it while 1.6 (the current unless it changed in the last week) is able to do all three). I personally suggest dosflash as it is simple enough if you can work a command line, windows has some methods but it is not as sure to work (as in detect in the first place, if you can get there you are sorted).

When it says keep a copy of your original firmware do so, even better email it to yourself so you have a copy should your machine go down. Finding someone to pull the relevant data after the fact is a pain. Also when backing up/reading the firmware do it three times, it should have the same checksum all three times.

Risks, banning from live. No bad thing in my world but others feel differently I guess, note the 360 blocks connections with a high ping so you can not do the xlink kai bit either.
    You can unban a 360 too (costello made a thread with some links a few months back as I recall) but it is a pain to do and you will need a donor xbox.
    Currently the way the 360 checks for copies (that you can get banned for) is to check for corrupt sectors (which some dumps do not have), check with abgx:
    http://www.abgx.net/filename/?ch=6 (you want Pre- Patched SS and Stealth for iXtreme to be green as well as a green in the region your 360 is, games tend to releases fairly close together in all regions).

4. Prime

United Kingdom
    lol FAST sums it up perfectly. As always.

5. matriculated

Member matriculated GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    If you get banned from Live I guess you can't download any updates?

6. Prime

United Kingdom
    Yeah but you could download them from the microsoft website and burn it on a CD and update via that

7. BiscuitBee

Member BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Canada
    r-really?! I wish I knew that before! RIP previous un-updated xbox [​IMG]